JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in Kansas and we don't have any restrictions on them and they're as close to full-auto as you can get without Spending another $200 for a tax stamp and taking months to get your NFA approval.

First "Binary Mode" 1 round fires on the trigger pull and 1 round fires as you release the trigger. Both have the functionality to cancel the Binary 2nd shot by moving the selector to safe or semi-auto before releasing the trigger.

There are 2 major players and there may be others I'm not aware of.

1. Franklin Armory - their AR trigger will fit all mil-spec receivers, and most all uppers, regardless of the bolt carrier. They also make a binary trigger for the Bushmaster ACR, HK MP5 and HK 91, 93, 94 (basically all 9X rifles), one of the B&T APC 9mm and CZ Scorpion EVO.

2. FosTech Echo - they only have one, which is for the AR - and with it you must use a M16 bolt carrier. It's a bit smoother and has a shorter reset. It's a drop-in design so it's easier to install than the Franklin.

Both have a trigger pull that is about 4.5 to 5 pounds and a 3-position selector; Safe, Semi-auto and Binary

There are rumors that the Franklin AR trigger is easy to "out-run" and basically that means you end up with a dead trigger, but if it's properly tuned I don't think you can ... the Franklin kit comes with 2 alternate buffer springs and alternate trigger springs ... And the instructions state that your specific gun ay run better with ah H or H2 buffer. The AR is the most finicky.

The Echo is completely different from the Franklin design, but Franklin Armory holds an intallectial property patent on the Binary trigger ... So even though it's design is different they have to pay royalties to Franklin Armory. Also, it's design is similar to the Hyper-Fire trigger and they have to pay royalties to Hyper-Fire as well.

I've got both AR triggers (Franklin & FosTech) and a Franklin for my HK's ... They are great for double taps or mag dumps if you're in to that.

I plan on keeping the Echo mostly for 2 uppers; one in 223/5.56 the other 7.62x39
The Franklin will float around a bit more as I've got uppers in 22LR, 5.7x28, 9mm and an Ares Defense belt fed ... All have non-standard bolt carriers.

Remember, a day at the range is better than any day at work!

I am not sure, but I think they may not be legal in Orygun.

To be safe, I think I will prefer the Giessele light triggers for three gun competition that can be fired almost as fast as a binary trigger and don't have all of the complexity or cost of the binary triggers, or legal issues (yet - we'll see what/whether there is any federal legislation on this issue).

Franklin Armory will ship to Oregon. They reached out to the State got the thumbs up for their trigger.

E

Last Edited:
ORS 166.210 - Definitions - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes
"Machine gun" means a weapon of any description by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, which is designed or modified to allow two or more shots to be fired by a single pressure on the trigger device.

Pulling the trigger causes pressure to fire and fires only one shot. Releasing pressure is a separate mechanical process and fires only one shot like any other release trigger. Any halfway competent lawyer would be able to argue this. I am confident enough in this that I bought one of the Franklin MP5 triggers.

ORS 166.210 - Definitions - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

Pulling the trigger causes pressure to fire and fires only one shot. Releasing pressure is a separate mechanical process and fires only one shot like any other release trigger. Any halfway competent lawyer would be able to argue this. I am confident enough in this that I bought one of the Franklin MP5 triggers.

#MeToo..........I put mine in a Zenith Z5-RS.
Franklin used to not ship to Oregon, but reversed that decision after talking with the state.

People have a habit of reading more into a law than it actually says.

E

Franklin Armory will ship to Oregon. They reached out to the State got the thumbs up for their trigger.

E

Interesting. We used to do the same thing twenty or thirty years ago with a piece of brass from a .22lr case jammed into the trigger mechanism on a Ruger Mini-14. Fun as heck and you could burn through a 20 round magazine in the blink of an eye. We quit doing it because we were told it was illegal. Another acquaintance said that he had cops roll up on him when he was shooting his one day because someone reported "machine gun fire". He showed them exactly what he was doing and they let him go but threatened him with felony arrest if he ever did it again.

Shooting just for the noise really isn't my thing so much anymore, but it's nice to know that it isn't actually illegal.

I've been looking into binary a trigger for my AR. Since you have both, is there one brand you prefer over the other?
I guess if I could only have one it would be the Franklin, because I can use that lower with all my uppers & conversions.

I really like the Echo. But Since it won't work in my 22LR, 9mm, 5.7 conversions and the Franklin will, I give Franklin preference ... If I didn't have those other conversions I'd prefer the Echo ... it'll work fine in 223, 300BO, 7.62x39

I like that the Echo is drop-in, I've read that the Echo will do a mag dump right out of the box with no tinkering. It is more expensive, and as mentioned it only works with a Mil-Spec M16 full-auto bolt carrier, so if you don't have one that'll be another expense.

When thev Franklin is proprely tuned (and it may take some experimenting depending on your barrel, stock, buffer & spring and hammer spring but can run nearly as fast as an M16 when you get it right.

My lower was already set up for my Franklin when I droped the Echo in and it ran perfectly, I later put the Franklin in a different SBR'd lower with another SI flat spring & H2 buffer; across the board it works fine for double taps with quick follow up, as well as a mag dumps with 62 Grain SS109 Green Tip and Silver Bear 62grain ammo

Something I didn't think to mention earlier; all 3 of my binary triggers are in suppressed SBR'd guns. The AR's with 10.5" & 11.5" barrels and I haven't done any experimenting with longer barrels which may make a difference in tuning the Franklin.

I was told by the sales man on the phone at Franklin arms that it is legal to own one and shoot it in Washington state. Just can't sell them here due to some red tape around class 3 stuff. He said ship it to a friend in Portland. So i did 5 times :p

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top