JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm an Oregon resident and have been rifle hunting the last couple of year. Last year I didn't draw for Elk and it got me to thinking. If I put in for Rifle Elk and don't draw a tag can I go and purchase an archery tag?

Yes you can still buy a general season archery tag. Even if you draw a rifle tag but decide you want to bow hunt instead then you can still buy an archery tag as long as you didn't purch a rifle tag.
You really should go with archery. It's a great outdoors experience unmatched by any other. Chicks will think you're like a Crocodile Dundee-Rambo-Chuck Norris-Grizzly Adams-Fabio hybred. Oh yeah, while you're day dreaming about arrowing that Pope & Young class 7 point screaming bull elk at 10 yards in the wilds of the pacific northwest, soaked and sweat with your heart racing and adrenalin pumping, check this out

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/no...9897-pse-beast-4x4-bow-extras-$175-trade.html

Yes you can still buy a general season archery tag. Even if you draw a rifle tag but decide you want to bow hunt instead then you can still buy an archery tag as long as you didn't purch a rifle tag.
You really should go with archery. It's a great outdoors experience unmatched by any other. Chicks will think you're like a Crocodile Dundee-Rambo-Chuck Norris-Grizzly Adams-Fabio hybred. Oh yeah, while you're day dreaming about arrowing that Pope & Young class 7 point screaming bull elk at 10 yards in the wilds of the pacific northwest, soaked and sweat with your heart racing and adrenalin pumping, check this out

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/no...9897-pse-beast-4x4-bow-extras-$175-trade.html

way to advertise, you should write jingles, LOL...capitalism at it's best.

That was the best Segway to a sale I have ever seen.

In all seriousness, if your considering archery hunting you should start practicing now. It isn't as easy as picking up a bow and being an instant Robin hood. You should be able to be confident in your ability before heading to the field. All hunters, be it with a bow or rifle, owe it to the animal they intend to hunt. Please keep your shots to realistic ranges, there's nothing worse in the hunting world than mortally wounding an animal that is lost to die a slow miserable death. The chest pounding Rambos that tell you about taking shots at 100 Yards are the worst of the lot. Cut that distance in half, then try to half that again if possible. A lot can happen in the time it takes an arrow to reach your quarry.

I'm in no way trying to dissuade you, it can be one of the most thrilling experiences you'll ever have. Yes you can hunt with archery gear if your not successful in drawing a tag, or even if you are and decide on the day before the hunt starts to go archery and haven't already purchased the tag, but I implore of you to start now if your going to do it, you have two and a half months from today before the season opener if you haven't already done so to gain the skills needed.
Good luck and good hunting. John:s0155:

In all seriousness, if your considering archery hunting you should start practicing now. It isn't as easy as picking up a bow and being an instant Robin hood. You should be able to be confident in your ability before heading to the field. All hunters, be it with a bow or rifle, owe it to the animal they intend to hunt. Please keep your shots to realistic ranges, there's nothing worse in the hunting world than mortally wounding an animal that is lost to die a slow miserable death. The chest pounding Rambos that tell you about taking shots at 100 Yards are the worst of the lot. Cut that distance in half, then try to half that again if possible. A lot can happen in the time it takes an arrow to reach your quarry.

I'm in no way trying to dissuade you, it can be one of the most thrilling experiences you'll ever have. Yes you can hunt with archery gear if your not successful in drawing a tag, or even if you are and decide on the day before the hunt starts to go archery and haven't already purchased the tag, but I implore of you to start now if your going to do it, you have two and a half months from today before the season opener if you haven't already done so to gain the skills needed.
Good luck and good hunting. John:s0155:

Very well said, I totally agree. Nice job!!
Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads