JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've seen some decent deals on AR15 pistols - much cheaper than SBR's. Would it be possible to add a stock and file the correct paperwork to make one into a SBR? Is it that easy?

I've always wanted a 9mm Carbine and the AR15 platform seems like the route I want to take.

Opinions invited!

I guess this brings up another question, not specifically in regards to SBR's, but to 9mm AR platforms.
Is the 9mm round any worse or better at fouling the standard gas system the AR uses?

9mm AR = Blowback, yes.
Stamp before Stock. Stay on the right side of the law.

7" JSE barrel - surprisingly good performer. I have one, and its my favorite AR upper at the moment.

Correct, my dedicated .22lr upper is blow back. It has a standard looking FSB, but no gas tube. Strangely enough, it also has a complete forward assist assembly, but it doesn't function with the .22lr faux bolt-carrier which stays stationary in the upper, the recoil occurs within the faux bolt-carrier group itself.

I really like the 9mm AR15 platform,too. Another option is to buy a 223 AR, send in the paperwork for SBR and put a 9mm upper on it when paperwork clears. This way you have two rifles. All you will need is a magazine adapter and ramp the bolt (easy to do) for the 223 trigger. You can use UZI mags on colt style 9mm mag block buy milling in the mag release slot.

Guess I missed the 9mm comment before.

I really like my 9mm AR also but I went with an Olympic Arms that uses Glock mags. Downside to this is if you do an SBR with it then it would only be good for using Glock mags.

Since we do not have SBR here I have an integral silencer on mine.

DSC_0010.jpg

I really like the 9mm AR15 platform,too. Another option is to buy a 223 AR, send in the paperwork for SBR and put a 9mm upper on it when paperwork clears. This way you have two rifles. All you will need is a magazine adapter and ramp the bolt (easy to do) for the 223 trigger. You can use UZI mags on colt style 9mm mag block buy milling in the mag release slot.

I thought that if I went through the paperwork to change a lower from "rifle" to "SBR", it had to be used with the pistol upper (SBR) from then on. Remember, I'm new to this part of the gun world. I may have completely mis-understood. This could save me a little money, but I wouldn't be opposed to a dedicated lower.

No you do not have to use your SBR as an SBR all the time. I see people put all kinds of things for barrel length on the Form 1 like 6-15" ect. Or for full auto stuff it will say things like .22, 9mm, 223, ect on the Form. If you read the way things are written you only have to "report" permanent changes to the designation of your NFA item.

Also with an SBR/SBS if you make it back into a Title 1 firearm configuration and no longer plan on using it as an SBR you simply write to the ATF and ask them to remove it from the registry. This happens often because it cost the same tax to transfer vs make and SBR/SBS in state and it costs more to transfer then it would to make one if going interstate.

No you do not have to use your SBR as an SBR all the time. I see people put all kinds of things for barrel length on the Form 1 like 6-15" ect. Or for full auto stuff it will say things like .22, 9mm, 223, ect on the Form. If you read the way things are written you only have to "report" permanent changes to the designation of your NFA item.

Good info. I'm learning. :)

So, now that you've all helped me clear up the main questions, is there anyone in the area that sells 9mm pistols or uppers? I don't have a problem ordering online and have a couple FFL dealers that I usually go through, but it never hurts to check out options locally.

What I have done is purchase a receiver and once the paperwork has cleared build the SBR. The 9mm kits are readily available. Or buy a complete rifle so you can use it now. If you can't find someone local to help, I'm in Lebanon, let me know if I can help.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top