JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im removing my a2 flash hider to replace the gas block and im thinking of getting a compensator instead of a flash hider, any suggestions? Not looking to spend a lot of money here by the way. Also if you have an extra one you'd like to sell feel free to pm me with a pic. Thanks

I had a pws for a while and it did alright. But if you were any where close and someone else was shooting the gun it was pretty obnoxious. I think that is the case with pretty much every comp/brake though. For simple effectiveness, the PRI/MSTN style brakes seem to do well for a lot of shooters. I shot a couple YHM phantom brakes (not the flash hider) and they were just plain annoying for the shooter. Very unpleasant to shoot. If you get a compensator, get one the directs the gas to the sides and back. Ones like the YHM where the gas goes strait out in several directions does nothing for recoil and tends to put the concussion in the shooter's face. Right now I have a troy industries medieval flash hider and it seems ok.

Jerry Miculek compensator. Recommended by a guy (Jerry Miculek) who probably knows about such things. :) That Battlecomp looks cool too though.

gatorar3.jpg

Here is a good clip of Jerry explaining the basics.

http://youtu.be/k0YI5bgaUUo

muzzle rise has been eliminated by a number of devices... the difference with the battlecomp is that it does it without blasting you or your partners all to hades. its only slightly more concussive to the shooter than an A2, actually a hair quieter, and hides flash the same.... all while eliminating muzzle rise, like any good compensator should.

I have a TROY Midevil. KIt works very well and makes my rifle feel longer and much more stable than the light 14.5 is. I will agree though, Ive noticed that people next to me at ranges look with a odd look from time to time, but it works. WELL.

muzzle rise has been eliminated by a number of devices... the difference with the battlecomp is that it does it without blasting you or your partners all to hades. its only slightly more concussive to the shooter than an A2, actually a hair quieter, and hides flash the same.... all while eliminating muzzle rise, like any good compensator should.
I just wish they weren't $150.

The PWS FSC556 works better than the BattleComp, but the BattleComp is much nicer to the people shooting near you. I'd recommend getting the BattleComp and trying it. If you don't like it, you can easily sell it and get most of your money back because they are very popular right now. ;)

You can also try the Rainier Arms XTC. Cheaper than the PWS FSC556 and works almost as good.

I have used the .308 pws compensator and i must say it works great
I did a side by side shoot with it and without and without a doubt it worked great

but i made the mistake of firing a shot with out hearing protection and my ears rang for 2 days. I had to get rid of it for that reason since i was using it on a hunting rifle.

I used to run brakes on my rifles for a couple of years. Using the precursor to the PWS FSC556 (The DNTC) I would see a giant orange flash through the scope on a 16" AR. When I finally got tired of all the dust kick up, loudness, and generally nastiness they cause, I went back to a basic flash hider. I work more on my technique now.

I enjoy recoil it reminds me that i am shooting rifle and not a BB gun

and i don't find too much recoil with .223 but for those who don't care for recoil i have found that hydrolic like the enidine buffers do help some with out the extra noise

I just wish they weren't $150.

if you shoot one, you'll buy one, even at $150.

i have one i cut off a formerly permed 14.5" barrel... it's a little ate up, but still 100% functional. i might be willing to loan it out, for demo purposes only, if i get an assurance i'll get it back.

I've shot (and shot next to) the battlecomp a fair amount, have a couple of AAC Brakeouts, have run several FSC 556s (still have one on a recce setup) and use a Rainier XTC on a 5.45 upper (clearly I like the brake/hider combo concept). All have their pros and cons - I like the brakeout right now because it's a good balance of compensation and flash reduction, isn't as obnoxious as a straight up brake, and provides a sacrificial surface to protect the first baffle of an AAC can.

I've also run a number of different pure brakes & comps - which unless it's a competition gun I would stay away from given how obnoxious they are.

All around, performance-wise the battlecomp really shines. Good reduction in muzzle rise, decent flash suppression, not as obnoxious for the guy next to you.

If I were spending the money right now and didn't have mounting a suppressor in mind I would go with the battlecomp (unless said can was a2 compatible like a halo, then I'd choose the BC 2.0).

if you shoot one, you'll buy one, even at $150.

i have one i cut off a formerly permed 14.5" barrel... it's a little ate up, but still 100% functional. i might be willing to loan it out, for demo purposes only, if i get an assurance i'll get it back.

Actually I might take you up on that. I have been wanting to see how they are made to see about cloning one. Plus it would give me motivation to get a small rotary table for my mini-mill. I had a PWS for a bit and it was quite nice. Really killed the muzzle climb and dulled out the recoil a bit. But it was weird, on my AXR it did absolutely nothing but put the concussion right in your face.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top