JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go with A drop in rail, you can install yourself and they work great. Find one you like and buy it. Unless you seen one installed, check youtube, you may not realize what a drop in rail is and how they are installed. I did not until I bought a UTG aluminum quad rail and installed it. It works and feel solid, I like it. They are two piece, top and bottom and they clamp together with screws and when tight they are clamped on and they then feel solid like part of your rifle. Below is a video I found on youtube that is clear and concise and shows exactly what is involved. I am in no way involved with UTG, I just bought one of their rails and the video below is made by them.

If you want a free float rail, like was said, you will need to remove everything up to and including your barrel nut.This is in fact what I'm going to do next, install a diamondhead free float rail.

If you want a free float rail and want your local shop to install it, do this, contact the local shop and see what free float rails they sell as if you walk in with something you bought online, they are no doubt going to stick it to you for the install.

If you buy a free float rail from the local AR shop, negotiate a free install with it and then you are good to go.

Not all free float rails require use of a proprietary barrel nut. The Centurion C4 series and Midwest Industries G2 & SS series rail systems, for example, are two piece FF and utilize the standard GI barrel nut. The delta ring, weld spring, retainer snap ring and handguard cap must be removed. This can be done either by cutting them off with a Dremel tool or if you wish to save the parts for reuse you need remove and reinstall the muzzle devise, FSB and barrel nut.

The Daniel Defense Omega Rail is FF and does not require any modification at all except removal of the existing handguard.

Thanks for setting things straight, showing my lack of knowledge - only 3/4 way through my first build, I did not know you could use the standard barrel nut and get a free float handguard to mount that way.

first off let me say I am knowledgeable about rifles. but my AR knowledge is limited therefore i'm probably gonna be asking a few stupid questions.
I recently purchased a new Bushmaster QRC .223 with a red dot sight on it.
I was wanting to put a vertical foregrip on it but it does not come with a rail.
I was looking at a AIM Sports Inc Rifle-Length AR Free Float Quad Rail- V3 with a Bushmaster Short Vertical Forward Grip. are those compatible for the rifle? If not any help would be appreciated.

Regarding the vertical grip, I would go with the brand that our military uses: The Grip Pod.

With just one push of a button, the Grip Pod instantly changes from just being a vertical grip, and turns into a bipod.

http://grippod.com/

One can find the Grip Pod Systems GPS-02 Military Spec at very reasonable prices on eBay ( usually around $80 ). That way you would have the same rugged grip that our military uses. Conventional retailers usually sell the milspec Gip Pod for around $130 to $150

Here are some photos of the Grip Pod on rifles:

grip_pod_system_chen_lee_6.jpg

P1010647.jpg

US-army-iraq-600-600x300.jpg

P1170135-900x601.jpg

I'm not saying don't get one, or that they're the worst thing you could ever get (I can name a lot of things that are way worse really), just saying they don't do either job so great. So unless a person is looking for something like a grippod specifically, they'd be better off with just a foregrip.

Personally, I'm of the mindset "everything for its own purpose." Bipod for bipod, foregrip for foregrip. If I need both, I'd get both.

I see them all the time for less than that. I picked my up $25 LNIB, and yes it is a real one with the steel reinforced legs.
Two Grip Pods GPS-02 Steel Legs (authentic mil-spec models)

Personally I like them.
Are there better bipods? Without question, but they get the job done. M4s and clones are not precision weapons.
Are there smaller VFG? Again, without question lighter ones too, but if that is what I'm after I'd rather have a BCM KAG

I like them too. Boboclown and eldbillbo aren't looking at the big picture.

Sure, you can get just a plain vertical grip that is lighter. But then you don't have sort of bipod capability. And while there are indeed much better bipods, they also are a lot heavier and more bulky. And they are just a bipod, and give you no vertical grip capability.

There is a reason why our military is using these so very much. But apparently some people just don't get it.

Our military is even using them on the M249 now too. Take a look at this soldier in Afghanistan using one on his M249:

ok I don't totally agree with bobo except that they are big and bulky . I have to admit I do own one and use it on occasion as it stores well in my rifle case .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top