JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just sold my Armalite AR10TAC20. It was a my first AR and turned out to be a great rifle. I built a few more ARs after picking it up. I kept wanting to change a few things on it and eventually decided to get out of it instead. Figured I'd rather build my own instead of changing 1 part at a time and then being stuck with a bunch of stuff I and possibly no one else wanted. On my 'Builds' I used Aero Precision M4E1s and they worked out great. I'm thinking of using them again but obviously in the M5E1 flavor. Anyone see any reason to spend more on a Mega? Any other suggestions?

I'm seeing a M5E1 complete set for $300 right now. And the specific Maten I like is about $575 but lacks a handguard.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go cheap and if I want something more fancy I can do that next time. Unless I hear some horror stories.........

Functionality is equivalent for both. The Mega might have a slight edge as far as resale goes. I don't get too excited for roll marks, but if you do, pick your favorite and build away.

I dont know a ton about mega. But i like that aero is pretty local. And theyre forged (less expensive, stronger...just not as fancy looking)
I think the maten recievers are billet (more expensive, fancier looking)

They do the same thing and aero is cheaper.
I would go with aero

Ordered the M5E1 builder kit from Schuyler Arms for $307 shipped. Upper lower and 15" rail. That seems like a smoking deal to me.

Any suggestions on buffer tubes? I have VLTOR A5s on my 5.56s. Was reading that I could use the same for the AR10 as well. Or I could just go with the Aero buffer kit which seems reasonably priced.

I use BCM A5 tubes.
How many AR10/.308s have you built that way? Any issues?

Been looking at this one.
<broken link removed>

7 POSITION .308 ANTI-TILT BUFFER TUBE, BUFFER ASSEMBLY AND SPRING PACKAGE

Or I may just piece it together. I don't understand why these kits don't say what buffer weight and length they use? Its all a secret. And then I see guys buy a 'kit' and then replace the buffer? Get ya coming and going.

That seems counterintuitive. It gets louder suppressed? Huh. I'm kinda struggling with dropping the coin on the JP setup because it seems a guy could buy a ton of traditional buffers and springs for the cost of the silent captured spring system. So at that point all you're getting is a quieter buffer......which isn't as quiet suppressed. Not that they are very quiet even then. Thinking about a Dead Air Sandman K. I just want a shorter-ish setup that can possibly keep me from having hearing damage.

I've about talked myself into that newish Armaspec stealth recoil spring just to try it. I think at $75 its worth the gamble. And then go with a Ballistic Advantage Hanson with the included gas Block shipped for $220.

This build is just opening the door for more anyway.........

What I meant is that if you shoot suppressed without hearing protection, you notice the additional noise of the traditional buffer and spring cycling coming through the buffer tube. The noise reduction with any captured buffer system is only heard by the shooter. most shooters don't care, but I notice it. The JP scs isn't worth it to most which it sounds like for your build it doesn't. Not trying to sell you on it, just giving you my experience. Good luck with your build.

Sharing a little input here is all. Take it or leave it.
I've yet to install the JP Silent Capture Spring in any of mine due to the cost.
Before I install the buffer tube, I use my drill with a long drill bit, wrapped with a chunk of rag at the tip. Just big enough to fit tightly inside the tube. I coat the rag wad with carnuba wax, then run the drill/wad inside the length of the tube until I feel a good heat transfer. Wipe the buffer tube down outside and install it. The sproing sound that's heard are the coils rubbing. The waxing quiets things nicely.

Well that escalated quickly.

AERO M5E1 BUILDER SET W/15" HANDGUARD
Proof Research 16" CF PR-10 Barrel
SLR Ti Sentry8
2A Ti X4 Muzzle Brake
Magpul MBUS gen2 front flip sights (with KNS 'V' notch post)
KAC Micro rear flip sight (peep)
Lantac 308 E-BCG
Radian NiB Raptor charging handle
Radian NiB Talon safety
Aero M5 td & pivot pins
V7 Ti bolt catch
V7 Ti mag release
KNS anti walk pins
Hiperfire Eclipse
Magpul UBR gen2
JP Silent Captured Spring H2
Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip
V7 Ti grip screw, might as well.

Don't have a real reason for all the titanium stuff. Just wanted some higher quality bits and if I get a little weight savings out of it so be it. And all the NiB parts I just like how well they clean up. I couldn't find squat on the Lantac 308 BCG but the 5.56 jobs work well so I decided to give the big guy a shot. I definitely drank the koolaid on the Hiperfire triggers and love them. Wasn't real sure about the SLR adjustable gas block but after searching around everyone is claiming they are the current top dog so I figured I'd let the current take me on that one. The Radian pieces are just awesome IMO I see no reason to stray from them. 2A Armament is out of Boise IIRC and I'm hoping these Local-ish gents did well with the muzzle device and pins. Truth be told I'm not even all that sure the pins will be long enough. Everything I read said that the Aero M5E1's are just a little wider than other DPMS patterns and require the Aero pins. Going against the grain here we'll see if they fit. Bit the bullet on the JP Buffer not sure if I should have gotten the standard version or not? 'Suppose I can always buy some of the lighter weights if I need to. Really splurged on that Proof barrel. Optics Planet is selling them at a fire sale price right now though so it took some sting out.

I'm curious whether she'll let me build another one or not? I'm thinking the next one may have to be a pre-built cheapie. And I still have to talk her into a can for this rifle. Wish me luck!

Last Edited:
I have no idea, but $699 and 10% off that......tough not to buy it at that point. Seems like 16" just isn't that popular a flavor in barrel lengths for the AR10/LR308. After my 20" barrel AR10 I realized I wanted a shorter barrel. I think for the most part guys are more interested in stretching the legs on these things than having a maneuverable setup.

I'm still going to try and stretch this thing out as far as it will go!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top