JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last week I came across a complete lower in one of my safes that I completely forgot I had. It's nothing fancy, just a Spike' s lower, Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger with mil-spec collapsible stock, tube, buffer and spring.

I've been kicking around what I should do for an upper, but have only reached 3 conclusions:

1. I really don't want to futz around building
another upper from scratch, so I need
something that's ready to roll right out of
the box.
2. I'm not married to 5.56/.223. I have those
as well as other calibers, so I'm ok with any
caliber suggestions as long as it's
centerfire.
3. I'm old and cheap, so I want to keep this in
the 750-800 dollar range.

As far as use goes, it's probably going to spend the majority of the rest of my life sitting in the safe next to all of the other evil black boom sticks I own. So, my daughter will have to figure it out after I go boots up.

Suggestions anyone?

Dude, there are a collective crap ton of options within your given guidelines.

So with that said here is my random recommendation.

XRF00402__02740.1540314812.jpg

Radical Firearms 16 in. 12.7x42 MHR Upper Assembly with 10rd mag

Another option is a big boomer (450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf but your daughter may not like the higher recoil stuff if the intention is she keep it after you are gone.

PSA or Radical have offerings that leave money left for goodies. BCA usually does too, although they have been having some issues lately I guess?

Nope. I've got unmounted optics aplenty.

In that case I would increase the upper/barrel quality from either PSA or Radical (no personal experience with Radical but heard they could be hit or miss).

At that price point Seekins and Spikes complete uppers are in your ballpark. If you're willing to stretch a touch you can get a Daniel Defense upper like this one:

Grab a quote is around $870

DDM4 v11 Upper Receiver Group 5.56 / .223 Rem Daniel Defense 23-151-02197047

I do have one negative experience buying a complete Seekins 300BO upper but still think they make quality products for the most part.

Hard to narrow it down, as someone who has a handful of ARs I would somewhat-prioritize what you don't have:

1) A typical ~16" system with red dot or low power, fixed power optic
2) Something to serve a SPR role with a heavier/longer barrel ~18" with a >4-6x optic.
3) A SBR/Pistol for CQB stuff with a quality red dot/holo sight.
4) A 300BO (especially if you have a can) ~10.5"
5) A 6.5 Grendal or other higher velocity AR
6) A heavy hitter as mentioned above

In that case I would increase the upper/barrel quality from either PSA or Radical (no personal experience with Radical but heard they could be hit or miss).

At that price point Seekins and Spikes complete uppers are in your ballpark. If you're willing to stretch a touch you can get a Daniel Defense upper like this one:

I do have one negative experience buying a complete Seekins 300BO upper but still think they make quality products for the most part.

Hard to narrow it down, as someone who has a handful of ARs I would somewhat-prioritize what you don't have:

1) A typical ~16" system with red dot or low pro fixed power optic
2) Something to serve a SPR role with a heavier/longer barrel ~18" with a >4-6x optic.
3) A SBR/Pistol for CQB stuff

Good points.

1) A typical ~16" system with red dot or low power, fixed power optic
3) A SBR/Pistol for CQB stuff with a quality red dot/holo sight.

I was leaning towards a "boomer". I have 2 458's and was thinking about trying out either the 450 Bushmaster or 50 Beowulf.

PSA or Radical have offerings that leave money left for goodies. BCA usually does too, although they have been having some issues lately I guess?

Except that they are dogbubblegum, at the $750-800 range a respectable upper can be had.

My question would be...what is the intended purpose of the firearm?

A short list w/o knowing that but you mention your daughter...
Patrol Three Upper Receiver - SIONICS Weapon Systems
with an NP3 BCG

BCM BFH 14.5'' Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM MCMR13 Handguard

but them that G national match sort begs for...
Overwatch Upper Receiver - SIONICS Weapon Systems
same BCG

Last Edited:
Except that they are dogbubblegum, at the $750-800 range a respectable upper can be had.

Yeah, I missed that he wasn't including optics and such. And I don't think they are dogbubblegum necessarily. I know lots of folks who run them with no problems. Let's be honest, the BCG is a lot more important than the upper. And the barrels from those manufacturers are generally acceptable.

A short list w/o knowing that but you mention your daughter...
Patrol Three Upper Receiver - SIONICS Weapon Systems
with an NP3 BCG

BCM BFH 14.5'' Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM MCMR13 Handguard

but them that G national match sort begs for...
Overwatch Upper Receiver - SIONICS Weapon Systems
same BCG

The only intended purposes are to quit using up space in one of my safes with half a rifle, spend some money to feed my addiction to things that go boom and maybe get something new and/or different to shoot.

And the winner is.....

Alexander Arms
50 Beowulf® Precision - Complete Upper Assembly
.50 Beowulf® Precision Complete Upper Features:

- Flat top receiver
- 16.5" chrome moly barrel
- 1:20 twist rate
- G10 composite free-floating handguard
- Low-profile gas block
- Direct impingement operating system
- One 7-round magazine.

Went a few bucks over my limit, but hopefully it's worth it.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads