Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR 15 safety selector

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by coyoteman5, Nov 18, 2010.

1. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

Well a co-worker ask me a few days back if I new why his safety selector was jammed he was unable to get it to move. Well unfortunately I have not owned one would like to when I can afford it so I do not know the internal guts of a AR I told him. Can anyone out there tell me why it maybe doing that ? I figure he has reinstalled something wrong, just my thought though plus I think if you own a gun you should know how it works. (I did not tell him that again just my thoughts. Can't anyone tell me so I can relay it to him ?
    Thanks guys. Oh by the way it is really a co-worker it's not me.

2. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Take off the grip. Perhaps the little detent pin thing is improperly installed. Maybe the spring is not going down into the grip hole?

3. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Yeah, worn down spring or detent, ask him if he changed his grip lately, maybe forgot to install all that stuff back in. If he is local I can help him out, I live near glencoe high school and have a bunch of extra springs and detents for the ar15.

4. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

He might have put the detent in upside-down. Have him pull the grip off and make sure everything is installed properly.

5. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

It won't operate if the hammer is down. Have him take out the mag, ensure it's not loaded rack the BCG with the CH a few times. Then he'll be able to put the safety on. If he pulls the trigger on the empty chamber then the selector won't go to safe.

6. TyPercy

TyPercy Vancouver, WA Member

That's what I was thinking as well. Freaked me out the first time it happened to me.

7. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

Thanks guys I'll relay it to him.

8. bmgm37

bmgm37 Coos Bay Active Member

One other thing to check if he takes the grip off. Some of the detent pins out there are soft and with use wear the point off. The point fits into a drilled spot on the safety and when the pin wears flatter makes it extremely difficult if not impossible to move the safety.