JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a new AR owner and I have a question. I probably should already know this but I don't.

I have been having some fun dressing up my AR and I recently disassembled the BCG and had the carrier cerakoted. I reassembled everything and I like how it all came out but I got thinking, should I have it "go/no-go" tested? No parts we're traded, just the color change.

Any knowledge that could be shared would be very appreciated.

I am going to assume just the carrier was Cerakoted so there is no need to check headspace. If the bolt was Cerakoted, then you better check. I don't think anyone would coat a bolt for you though unless they left the lugs uncoated.

If a complete provided factory AR15 build, the exact head space would have been determined before purchase. If you built the AR15 using different components then the exact head space should have been determined before you fired your own build.

If just the carrier was cerakoted and not the bolt, then there should be no head space change or difference. If just the exterior of the carrier was coated then the bolt head and cam pin fit should not have been affected either. However ... a slight concern ...

The carrier now might fit more tightly in the upper receiver. Perhaps not also. I do not know how thick the coating is and if the coater removed some material from the carrier exterior to compensate for the cerakoting thickness. Easy to determine this.

Have fun. Shoot off ALL the ammo then buy more. :)

Sorry, I guess that I should have supplied a little more detail.

I bought the upper with BCG as a complete unit. They are from SAA in Tacoma. It fired well and I am pleased with it. Probably more accurate than me. This is my first AR so what do I know, but I would buy from them again .

I did disassemble the BCG and only had the carrier coated. (the part that shows thru the port). The fit is not noticeably tighter than before. I have been told that it will wear on the "rails" and that it's fine as I only really care about the part that shows.

Your replies are what I was thinking, that it should not affect the lugs. Thanks for the reassurance.

Bill C.

We all learn along our journeys with this amazing platform. When in doubt, do what must be done.

Try disassembling and reassemble the rifle with a blindfold, then, and only then you will have reached the highest plateau in AR greatness.... :eek::eek::eek::D I did it in the military years ago.:D

Good luck with the learning curve, I mean that sincerely.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top