JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I picked up a new pistol upper and turns out the hand guard is turned slightly. It attaches to the barrel nut with some screws. So to get the hand guard lined up the barrel but is loose and if I tighten the barrel nut the screw holes won't line up. Can I back the barrel nut all the way off and try to get it tighten up so it lines up? Or is there a right way to do it?ive never put one on so this is a first to me.

some handguards have the timing with the tightness of the nut, I don't really like this design, because you have to get it just right to get your rail to match. A few manufatures have ones where the nut tightness is independent of the handguard alignment, which I like. I have a few of the aero precision like this that are great to have, though I've been waiting months to get a FDE on from them.

For me, I buy only the "pinch on". For the OP, you'll need some barrel nut shims to get it right. Also, make sure that you are tightening to at least 30-40 fp.

When I have installed Troy hand guard with a standard barrel but doesn't go on straight line. I put the 4 retaining screws in first, tighten them down and back off on tight by loosening the screws back like 1 or 2 turns. The grip slides in a slight angle so once you reach the upper receiver you twist it gently and line up with the upper receiver marks.

That assumes that barrel nut is timed with gas tube as well a standard barrel nut has teeth on them. I take my time since I don't want to damage the rail or anything and it take me a few tries sometimes.

The barrel nut A2F4137D-690F-4FB1-BB7A-2BEE897F2252.jpeg
96FF6F14-C9B2-48B0-AD80-12AB2B21295C.jpeg EC6061A2-DEC1-46FF-BF42-38D84CDBCA7D.jpeg

The second picture shows where the threads need to be and the last picture shows the angle if the holes are aligned.it wasn't that bad when I bought it. But after messing with it it has just got worse

The second picture shows where the threads need to be and the last picture shows the angle if the holes are aligned.it wasn't that bad when I bought it. But after messing with it it has just got worse
You'll need some shims. Try flipping the nut over and screwing it in from the other side first.

Remove nut, reinstall using shims, making sure to lube threads with Aeroshell or equiv. Torque to 35-80ft.lbs (generally speaking).

Edited to add:

I have used this before.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top