JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at purchasing one, soon

I see there a few different Manufacturers and unlike the AR 15 & M4, on the AR 10 models it seems like every Makers has different designs.

Questioin being fo r those that have one or person who have any experience with them is, whats your thoughts, what do like or dislike about a particular make or model, accuracy, reliabilitym quirks.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

I had a DPMS LR-308 AP4. 16" barrel, 6-pos stock, this model also has the forward-assist and dust-cover unlike the cheaper models that have a "Sportical" upper with neither. The rifle ran great and was a very solid platform. It ate everything I fed it from Australian 7.62x51 Surplus to Hornady 165gr SST match grade stuff. These rifles are built identical to the normal AR15 for the most part, the main difference being the parts are all much bigger. As for the DPMS, the LPK, butt stock (not buffer tube), pistol grip and gas block are all interchangeable with AR15 parts.
My only gripe was the factory trigger which came in around 10-11lbs...but a set of JP springs for $10 brought it down to the 4.5-5lb range. With quality ammo and good glass, from the bench I was able to get this rifle to group right about an inch. I also carried the rifle for deer this year, follow up shots are a breeze.
The Ar10/LR-308 rifles are a lot of fun...just remember the ammo is gonna hurt the wallet a bit more than 5.56/.223 :)

Just my $0.02 hope this helps

If it were me I'd pick up a Mega MaTen set. There's no real set specs with "ar10" as there is with AR15. Mega has enough of the build market that finding what you want/how looks and performs is rather easy.

There are two basic platforms, Armalite type and DPMS type. If you build your own, your upper and lower, BCG and barrel nut has to match for whichever type you choose. I choose the Ma-Ten receiver set and it is DPMS type and also takes Magpul mags which I like. I got my barrel from Rainier Arms and if you buy the BCG and barrel from them at the same time they will headspace check it for you for free. I built mine exactly the way I wanted and ended up spending less money if I would have bought a factory rifle and then made changes to it to make it like I wanted. Here is my build thread...

Mega Ma-Ten build

LMT MWS 308 16" Stainless Barrel. Rainier Arms has one left. Best AR 10 style rifle I have ever shot. However, the grain of salt is I haven't shot the KAC or GAP 10. Was going to buy the the Larue Tactical, then the GAP 10 but lead time for both is 8 months now. Will be posting pics of the sub moa group I taught my wife to shoot prone within 30 rounds and 2-3 hours. Consistent 2 moa groups at 30-50 yards standing. All with the LMT iron sights. It has to be considered a little brag worthy since she had only held 2 rifles at the store 3 days earlier, prior to shooting one.

I've had a DPMS for about 2 years now, not a single malfunction, but I have only shot maybe 200 rounds thru the rifle, but nearly all has been questionable 80's surplus stuff. It is far more expensive to shoot, but I love the ergos & controls that match my AR's. If I did it all over, I'd go with a 14.5" or 16" barell in the lightest profile I could find. I have a fairly light handguard, the TRX Extreme, but it is quite a beast compared to an AR15.
Whatever you do, get a platform that takes the Knights/DPMS mags (magpul pmags) IMO.

I like the idea of the AR-10 (so did Gene Stoner, apparently), but the NATO round seems a bit much.

Any of you gentlemen ever try a 7.62X39 upper on your AR? It's a lot cheaper to feed and easier to find than 6.8SPC , but not so much of a beast as the 7.62X51. Inside of 300 meters, how often are you going to need the bigger cartridge anyway?

You didn't mention your reason for getting one, so I wanted to pass this along. My friend's dad has an AR-10, he later got a 6.8 upper for his AR. He said if he could do it over again he'd skip the AR-10. I think his use is primarily hunting.

If you want a semi-auto in the common caliber of .308/7.62 or to reach out and touch something then nevermind, continue with your regularly scheduled programming.

ETA: Chemist kind of beat me to it while I was typing.

ANy thoughts on this gun, the sellers asking price is $650.00

I am looking for opinions before I make any offers, sepecially if you have experience with this make and model, thanks,

Manufacturer: Century International Arms Caliber: 308/7.62 NATO Action: Semi-automatic
Flag |

Edit | Favorite Federal Arms model FA91. It is basically an HK 91/G3 parts kit put onto a US made aluminum receiver. This was to get around the original assault weapons ban. They will probably close this loophole the next round.

Receiver is cast aluminum and has a built in scope rail. I currently have a Bushnell .3.5-10 x45mm scope on it and it goes with the rifle. Some of the paint is missing off of the receiver to the rear of the ejection port where the shell casings hit it.

The original trigger sucked bad, so I sent the trigger group off to Williams Trigger Specialties (Home) for a trigger job. While not a "light" trigger, it now has a clean break without the creep it used to have.

I have 11 mags for it and I've only put 200 rounds through it over the past 13 years and never had an issue.

713948_01_centurion_99_308_semi_hk_clone_640.jpg

713948_02_centurion_99_308_semi_hk_clone_640.jpg

713948_01_centurion_99_308_semi_hk_clone_640.jpg

713948_02_centurion_99_308_semi_hk_clone_640.jpg

I like the Armalite (Eagle Arms) AR10, except for the cost to keep them fed. I had a lot of FTEs the first 100-150 rounds. They are the most accurate rifles I own. As good or better than my bolts with the right ammo, and with half the kick. Has no parts that can interchange with and AR15. Designed from the ground up to be a full size battle rifle. Mags kinda spendy, but the new Gen II mags are cheaper than the Gen I. I have the AR10B.

Now they are making the AR10A model again. It uses the original style mags. You can use magpul mags (better and cheaper) with this one.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top