JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Project Appleseed® will be at Wolverton Mountain Gun Club in Ariel, WA July 6 & 7. WMGC is just North of Battleground about 45min from PDX. This shoot has traditionally sold out so pre-registration is highly recommended.

Ariel, WA Appleseed Jul 6-7, 2013 Tickets, Ariel - Eventbrite

Project Appleseed Home

.22lr can still be challenging to get; however, some 325 bricks will be available for sale to participants if needed for $25 a box.

Wolverton is a beautiful place to shoot if you haven't been there before.

I'm fighting the eye relief every time I change position. OK in prone is blur/black standing or kneeling, or the other way around. Plus I'm stiff in quite a few joints, which is partly genes and partly my extremely active dayjob of sitting at a computer all day. My eyesight is not super, but I can make out the blurry targets, so as long as it's positioned nicely in the sight picture, I should be able to hit something. :)

I'm fighting the eye relief every time I change position. OK in prone is blur/black standing or kneeling, or the other way around. Plus I'm stiff in quite a few joints, which is partly genes and partly my extremely active dayjob of sitting at a computer all day. My eyesight is not super, but I can make out the blurry targets, so as long as it's positioned nicely in the sight picture, I should be able to hit something. :)

Are you changing your cheek weld position in different positions? If you don't have a consistent check weld between positions it could be that you need to make an adjustment on the stock to achieve consistency. That is, for prone you probably have a good weld but in standing or sitting your weld changes due to the change in your head/neck position. Try this: Check your check weld position in each position to see if it is absolutely the same. Once in position, close your eyes and relax, then open them and see if you still have a good sight picture. If not, try adding some height to the stock comb by temporarily taping some foam or a sponge to raise your eye level when you have a good cheek weld. If that works, go shopping for a cheek pad to ad to the stock. Cheaper than a custom stock and looks better than a sponge duct-taped on the stock (like I have on my 10/22--effective, but not very attractive).

:)

Thanks Kenjo, I am aware my position shifts a little, which is not good. I'm having some trouble getting the front sight on the barrel, so my scope is still on. I'll experiment a bit, but I do see some charm in using sights, especially since my vision won't help me in seeing those 400yd targets easily, but I can detect them on paper, so the sight picture should be OK enough to get rounds on target.

It's a mix of physical stiffness & clumsiness, suboptimal technique and, to be honest, growing frustration. :) One of the benefits of sights over scope will be that I'm not battling as much to get my eye lined up each time, so that will help me with overcoming much of the frustration. :)

By the way, it was a pleasure meeting you at DRRC, I see now we're practically neighbors. :)

Thanks Kenjo, I am aware my position shifts a little, which is not good. I'm having some trouble getting the front sight on the barrel, so my scope is still on. I'll experiment a bit, but I do see some charm in using sights, especially since my vision won't help me in seeing those 400yd targets easily, but I can detect them on paper, so the sight picture should be OK enough to get rounds on target.

It's a mix of physical stiffness & clumsiness, suboptimal technique and, to be honest, growing frustration. :) One of the benefits of sights over scope will be that I'm not battling as much to get my eye lined up each time, so that will help me with overcoming much of the frustration. :)

By the way, it was a pleasure meeting you at DRRC, I see now we're practically neighbors. :)

OK, if you are using a scope it may be an eye relief issue with the scope not mounted far enough forward. Have you checked to see if that may be part of the problem? If the scope is mounted too far back it can be difficult to get the full view through the scope without shadows, and the sight picture will change with different positions because you have to move your cheek weld position to get proper eye relief. If you can move the scope forward a bit it might help with this. Experiment with it to see if that helps solve the problem.

Keep practicing those shooting positions to stretch out the muscles and don't forget dry practice. I hope to see you at a future Appleseed.

kenjo

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads