JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Happy to :)

The quick and dirty explanation is we are a non profit organization dedicated to teaching rifle marksmanship and American history. We put on a two day event where we teach the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship. By the end of the weekend you will have all of the knowledge necessary to hit a 24" target out to the rifleman's quarter mile (500y) with a rack grade rifle and ammunition.

We teach:
* field position shooting (standing, sitting/kneeling & prone)
* how to use a sling for stability
* the 6 steps of firing a shot
* how to use your Natural Point Of Aim
* how to zero your rifle using Inches Minutes & Clicks as well as how to establish your Battle Sight Zero

Throughout the weekend you will hear the events and people from April 19th, 1775 and the start of the American Revolutionary War. We are not a political organization or even a 2nd amendment organization per se - we are about Liberty and understanding our heritage as Americans.

You can read more about us:
Project Appleseed Home

Our forum has several after action reports with pictures of past events:
Project Appleseed - Index

The full NW schedule is here:
NW Region 2013 Schedule

And a few other threads I've started here on NWFA:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/strategies-tactics-training/104074-5-myths-about-appleseed.html

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/127309-what-appleseed.html

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/strategies-tactics-training/114776-2013-appleseed-events.html

Oh and a testimonial by one of our own:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/strategies-tactics-training/134119-my-first-appleseed.html

Happy to :)

The quick and dirty explanation is we are a non profit organization dedicated to teaching rifle marksmanship and American history. We put on a two day event where we teach the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship. By the end of the weekend you will have all of the knowledge necessary to hit a 24" target out to the rifleman's quarter mile (500y) with a rack grade rifle and ammunition.

We teach:
* field position shooting (standing, sitting/kneeling & prone)
* how to use a sling for stability
* the 6 steps of firing a shot
* how to use your Natural Point Of Aim
* how to zero your rifle using Inches Minutes & Clicks as well as how to establish your Battle Sight Zero

Throughout the weekend you will hear the events and people from April 19th, 1775 and the start of the American Revolutionary War. We are not a political organization or even a 2nd amendment organization per se - we are about Liberty and understanding our heritage as Americans.

You can read more about us:
Project Appleseed Home

Our forum has several after action reports with pictures of past events:
Project Appleseed - Index

The full NW schedule is here:
NW Region 2013 Schedule

And a few other threads I've started here on NWFA:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/strategies-tactics-training/104074-5-myths-about-appleseed.html

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/127309-what-appleseed.html

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/strategies-tactics-training/114776-2013-appleseed-events.html

Oh and a testimonial by one of our own:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/strategies-tactics-training/134119-my-first-appleseed.html

You forgot:

We ALSO teach extreme right-wing politics, complete with totally BS founders quotes and the idea that we are on the very verge of needing a citizen's militia to confound a Federal tyranny.

This is the reason I would NEVER recommend an Appleseed to anyone. I'm all for firearms training. But the experience back east soured me forever from this endeavor. There are LOTS of places you can receive rifle training that does exactly what Appleseed claims to do, without the political indoctrination. NRA Certified Rifle among them.

We very specifically do not talk about modern politics. Appleseed's perspective is the politics and elections come and go. Our goal is the change the hearts and minds of the people to understand what price was paid for the liberty we have today and not to take it for granted through ignorance, laziness or apathy.

Our history comes from Paul Revere's Ride by David Hackett Fisher. It is arguably the most accurately researched book about the American Revolutionary War. If you've ever seen the book, it's about 2/3 writing and 1/3 bibliography.

There are people who have very thick political filters on both sides of the isle. They will hear what they want to hear no matter what we say. Regardless you will not find a better value in rifle training.

In regards to the politics at Appleseed and raising a militia, I'll say this. My impression was that there wasn't a call for raising a militia, rather more of a "I'll put 2 and 2 together on this table and let you come up with 4 on your own".

I still enjoyed it though, and I'll be back with my wife in September. As a reasonable adult, I can be exposed to other's politics and world views without becoming indoctrinated ;-)

You forgot:

We ALSO teach extreme right-wing politics, complete with totally BS founders quotes and the idea that we are on the very verge of needing a citizen's militia to confound a Federal tyranny.

This is the reason I would NEVER recommend an Appleseed to anyone. I'm all for firearms training. But the experience back east soured me forever from this endeavor. There are LOTS of places you can receive rifle training that does exactly what Appleseed claims to do, without the political indoctrination. NRA Certified Rifle among them.

Did you attend an Appleseed "back east" where such things were advocated? If so, where and when was it? If you attended an event where this actually happened it was a gross deviation from RWVA policy. Appleseed does not advocate current politics, misquote our Founders or advocate against the federal government or for militias. The only mention of politics is that which led up to the beginning of the Revolutionary War. No politician who hasn't been dead for at least 200 years is talked about and the only time the word "militia" is mentioned is in conjunction with the militias that rallied at Lexington Green and Concord on April 19, 1775. If you experienced something different, recently, I'd like to hear about it.

As for learning the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, if you can find a better program for the price go for it. Do the research; follow the links provided by Kimber Custom and make an informed decision.

Kenjo
Appleseed instructor

Bought my 15 year old grand daughter a ticket to the event. It will be her introduction to shooting. Both her dad and I will be there to ad moral support and to see that she can consentrate on learning her rifle skills.

Going to be a very fun day I think.

You forgot:

Instructors speak about liberties fought for and although it's often not too difficult to pick up the libertarian preferences of instructors, I didn't perceive it as indoctrination. And I'm an atheist immigrant, so I'll likely rub many people the wrong way just for being (my big mouth won't help, I'll give you that ;)), but I felt welcome at all events I've been to so far.

You forgot:

Well I can tell you that both Appleseeds I attended here in the Portland area were specifically devoid of political content. Historical, patriotic, pro 2A content, yes. Left vs. right Infowars content, emphatically no.

Keith

Well I can tell you that both Appleseeds I attended here in the Portland area were specifically devoid of political content. Historical, patriotic, pro 2A content, yes. Left vs. right Infowars content, emphatically no.

Keith

I'm going to have to disagree slightly, Keith. When you're sitting in a marksmanship clinic talking about the revolutionary war and how marksmanship was essential to winning that war, then you mention that the colonists went to war because the British were coming to take away their powder and ball, then you start asking the students under what circumstances they would take up arms against their government (Taxes? No... Taking away your guns? Most said yes...), it's not a huge leap to view it as a call for a militia. Not an overt call, but more of a "I'm going to lay 2 and 2 on the table here and see what you come up with on your own". Especially given the political climate in February when you and I went.

Having said that, I still recommend anyone who wants some really good marksmanship training and trigger time coupled with some good history to go to one. Or more.

I'm going to have to disagree slightly, Keith. When you're sitting in a marksmanship clinic talking about the revolutionary war and how marksmanship was essential to winning that war, then you mention that the colonists went to war because the British were coming to take away their powder and ball, then you start asking the students under what circumstances they would take up arms against their government (Taxes? No... Taking away your guns? Most said yes...), it's not a huge leap to view it as a call for a militia. Not an overt call, but more of a "I'm going to lay 2 and 2 on the table here and see what you come up with on your own". Especially given the political climate in February when you and I went.

Actually that's a valid point; there was a little bit of the current political climate that wound its way in there, but there was certainly no current Democrat vs. Republican, Liberal vs. Conservative, Bush vs. Obama thrown in there. Fred's writings are pretty specific about his concern of the UN or other government entity's disarmament of America though, and that's pretty much how I took that.

Keith

Appleseed is most certainly a call to action. It is *not* a call to arms. If we end up in armed rebellion against our government then the Appleseed mission has failed. There are some instructors who have left the program because they believe it's either too late or because we aren't more active regarding modern politics.

One of the things we teach at an Appleseed is the idea that John Adams had when he said that the war was won in the hearts and minds of the people before the first shots were ever fired. It took the British 8 years to see it our way but liberty was inevitable.

We the people. Our ideal government is one of the people for the people. We have it right now. It's being threatened by ignorance, laziness and apathy. Appleseed is a call to action to get involved in our representative government. Let your elected officials hear from you. Make informed decisions on who we send to represent us. Root out the bad apples who are in it for personal gain.

We teach rifle marksmanship and it is important but that is a by product. To be successful with a rifle you need to have knowledge, persistence, will and determination. We want that same skill set in our homes, communities and elected officials.

You forgot:

What's complete B.S. is this post! I've attended two Appleseed's so far, and I did not hear even one comment regarding politics, militias, or combating government tyranny outside of the historical context of April 19th, 1775. The closest thing I ever heard regarding politics at Appleseed was encouragement by the staff to become more involved and engaged in civics rather than sit back and let everything happen without doing anything.

We're not stupid either. Yes, I get the relevance between Revolutionary War times and the current political climate. But there was no talk at any time of taking up arms against the government. The only recommendation I heard from any instructor was to warn against apathy, hold elected officials accountable, and actually become a more committed citizen! You know, things that some of us were taught back in high school but never took to heart because we were, well....in high school.

I don't know what sort of experience you had "back East" Bill, but your statement is 100% counter to what I experienced.

Not that there is ever such a thing as a bad weekend to go shooting; next weekend's forecast looks quite pleasant 78*, 0% chance of rain.

Due to range maintenance we will be on the Dynamic range instead of the Silhouette range so bring a tarp to catch brass and a pop up for a little shade.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top