JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently picked up 17.75" Henry lever. I already have a couple hundred SWC 240s copper and lubed lead. But just browsing the options and saw 1 offer in loaded ammo and 1 offer for projectiles. Both kinda pricey on the surface but I'm still willing to try and if I like invest…. Just not plinking ammo.

Maybe I'm just thinking of reaching pretty far in good groups…. I'm sure I'll find success in traditional projectiles but I'm interested.

IMG_5860.jpeg IMG_5859.jpeg

I've never tried rifle bullets in my 44 mag rifles. Typically use coated 200 or 240 grain lead, or 240 grain plated, or similar weight jacketed bullets, all intended for 44 magnum. Mostly for plinking steel.

If you give them a try, please report back with your experiences.

I just don't see the .44 mag as a long range rifle. just sighted mine in for deer season don't plan on shooting past 100 yrds most shots are half of that.

I just don't see the .44 mag as a long range rifle. just sighted mine in for deer season don't plan on shooting past 100 yrds most shots are half of that.
Same here. It's a 100 yard gun for me. If I want to shoot farther than that, I have other tools I'd use.

Remember, pointy bullets in a tubular magazine can be a not so good situation, if you know what I mean.
Not sure if anybody has actually ever had a pointy bullet touch off a round in front of it in a tube fed mag?

That said, most of the plastic tip bullets do not have tips hard enough to detonate a primer - Hornady and others have been selling those for lever actions for years now. I have some "Flex Tip" Hornady ammo in .44 mag, .45-70 and I think in .30-30

Not sure if anybody has actually ever had a pointy bullet touch off a round in front of it in a tube fed mag?

That said, most of the plastic tip bullets do not have tips hard enough to detonate a primer - Hornady and others have been selling those for lever actions for years now. I have some "Flex Tip" Hornady ammo in .44 mag, .45-70 and I think in .30-30
Just load two.

I'd probably breech load one at a time anyway…. I can see potential feeding issues. It would be bench rest only. Just to see what's up.

Yep, I have some 45-70 Leverevolution ammo with the soft points.
In any event, it would be quite an attention-getter if the whole tube detonated !

Last Edited:
I'd probably breech load one at a time anyway…. I can see potential feeding issues. It would be bench rest only. Just to see what's up.
Yes - the seller kind of said they wouldn't feed from the mag in a lever action.

Claimed velocity seems to be about 200-400 fps better than most 225 gr loads/ammo I can find online, plus the projectile looks like it has a better BC.

Last Edited:

IMG_0907.jpeg IMG_0906.jpeg

Yes - the seller kind of said they wouldn't feed from the mag in a lever action.

Claimed velocity seems to be about 200-400 fps better than most 225 gr loads/ammo I can find online, plus the projectile looks like it has a better BC.
Yeah that's the literature… I figured such an eclectic bunch here, someone may have had an experience.

Are there .44-.45 rifle cartridges anyway? I mean.50 bmg but some of the other monster projectiles are big ole pistol type slugs. Big bore safari rifles.

Although I have not had one of mine detonate in the mag, I have seen enough pics that I'm convinced it can happen. DR

Yeah that's the literature… I figured such an eclectic bunch here, someone may have had an experience.

Are there .44-.45 rifle cartridges anyway? I mean.50 bmg but some of the other monster projectiles are big ole pistol type slugs. Big bore safari rifles.
44-40, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454, 45-70 and on and on

I have shot quite a few Spire point rifle bullets out of .30-30. Mostly because I have them to use up and while they make the mod 94 a single shot, they shoot very accurately and considerably flatter than typical FP or RN lever action bullets.
That's what I was imagining or hoping to hear. Thx

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads