JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Taking the trailer over to our property in Crooked River. Putting the driveway in April so it is all ready. Dry camp for a couple days. Want to be there with the grandkids too see it.

The speed of the eclipse was mentioned earlier and that is what I remember of the 1979 event. The birds heading to roost at 9 am. We climbed a large industrial building in Hillsboro to watch it back then.

That's where my parents live is crooked river.
Spent many weekends there as a kid when they only had a trailer and an outhouse, before hardly anyone lived there.
It was a lot nicer back then.

Still have great food at the bagger

That's where my parents live is crooked river.
Spent many weekends there as a kid when they only had a trailer and an outhouse, before hardly anyone lived there.
It was a lot nicer back then.

Still have great food at the bagger

I imagine it was back on the day. Still the best value in Central Oregon in my opinion. Affordable for now. Let's not let that get around. At least it is once acre minimum, and we will have 2 so good there. Agree on the Bagger, have eaten there several times. Semi rural Western Oregon or real rural paid for Central Oregon property in retirement ?? Easy choice for us.

Yeah my stepdad bought his land there in the late 70s I think.
Great spot on a bluff with a heck of a view.
As kids in the 90s we had the run of the place. Hiked all over, rode 4wheelers, swam in the river, hunted for lizards and scorpions, shot all the birds with our pellet guns. Great childhood.

My parents retired and built a house on the property there and moved there full time about 6-7 years ago

Why travel to view an eclipse when I can view a cosmic disaster in the comfort of my home? Memorable (I guess) '80s tune in maybe the worst 80s music video ever. This may get stuck in your head. You're welcome.

25 facts you should know about the August 21, 2017, total solar eclipse - Astronomy Magazine - Interactive Star Charts, Planets, Meteors, Comets, Telescopes

This site says portland will have 99% coverage of view. Why travel!

Also says at total coverage it's best to view it without glasses.

Why travel?

10. You want to be on the center line. This probably isn't a revelation, but the Moon's shadow is round. If it were square, it wouldn't matter where you viewed totality. People across its width would experience the same duration of darkness. The shadow is round, however, so the longest eclipse occurs at its center line because that's where you'll experience the Moon's shadow's full width.

Since this happens about every 30-40 years, I'll take as much of it as I can get. An hour's drive is worth it.

As for the glasses, I agree, it's best to view it in totality without the glasses, but leading up to it and as the moon transitions away, you'll need them if you want to look at the partial coverage. So:

The Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye only during the few brief seconds or minutes of a total solar eclipse. Partial eclipses, annular eclipses, and the partial phases of total eclipses are never safe to watch without taking special precautions. Even when 99% of the Sun's surface is obscured during the partial phases of a total eclipse, the remaining photospheric crescent is intensely bright and cannot be viewed safely without eye protection [Chou, 1981; Marsh, 1982]. Do not attempt to observe the partial or annular phases of any eclipse with the naked eye. Failure to use appropriate filtration may result in permanent eye damage or blindness! Source: NASA - Eye Safety During Solar Eclipses

Part of the fun of an eclipse, partial or total, is being able to view the moon as it's moving into position and as it moves away. The totality portion is the most exciting - darkness mid-day and the only time you can look directly at the sun without eye protection, but the show starts and ends outside of totality, so having glasses will allow you to enjoy it longer.

Speaking of looking at the sun - if you or anyone else reading this find themselves in Sunriver on a day that the Oregon Observatory at the Sunriver Nature Center is open, I highly recommend/encourage you to visit them. First, visiting in the evening, you'll enjoy probably the finest array of telescopes available to the general public in a very nice area to view the night sky. Second, be sure to visit on a day when they have daytime viewing of the sun. They have several telescopes equipped with special filters that let you look directly at the sun - and it is, for lack of a better word, breathtaking.

Oregon Observatory

Last Edited:
Our home is on the Northern boundary of the projected shadow; won't be going into town.

I suppose the anti-liberty pagans (on the capitol steps), will be yanking the bolt carrier groups out of ARs and sacrificing them to their god; Luna....:D

Not my thing....Seeing the TOTAL eclipse would be awesome. Jamming in with a bunch of inconsiderate moron, jerk "Sheeple" is not something I'm willing to do. The mess on the roads between Aurora and Jeferson, roughly, will make a heavy traffic day in LA look like a walk in the park!

But to those that can deal with that sort of stuff, BULLY!

Not my thing....Seeing the TOTAL eclipse would be awesome. Jamming in with a bunch of inconsiderate moron, jerk "Sheeple" is not something I'm willing to do. The mess on the roads between Aurora and Jeferson, roughly, will make a heavy traffic day in LA look like a walk in the park!

But to those that can deal with that sort of stuff, BULLY!

I'm with @Mikej I can stay right here in Portland to experience inconsiderate moron jerk Sheeple.

What's really cool is when the suns light rays reappear in what I think is called the wedding ring affect. You see bright shafts of light shoot out into space at a 90* angle from you and then they seem to bend towards earth as the moon slides away.
That alone is worth the trip.

25 facts you should know about the August 21, 2017, total solar eclipse - Astronomy Magazine - Interactive Star Charts, Planets, Meteors, Comets, Telescopes

This site says portland will have 99% coverage of view. Why travel!

Also says at total coverage it's best to view it without glasses.

Why travel? 99% coverage is nifty but totality is vastly more impressive. I *highly* recommend considering heading for where you can see it. I drove up from Sunnyvale, CA to Goldendale WA in '79 and it was very well worth the trouble. Probably the shortest 2 1/2 minutes of my life... Will definitely be driving in August (planning since '79) and possibly in 2024's eclipse, even though that's half the USA away.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top