JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I very clearly remember the last total eclipse in our area in 1979. I was 10 at the time and thought it was quite fascinating to see it go from light to total darkness. I studied Astronomy in school, so events like this still peak my interest.

Fast forward to 2017 and my daughter is now 10 and will be seeing her first total eclipse. Since it won't be visible as a total eclipse in the Portland area, I'll be taking a day off work and we'll be heading down I-5 somewhere probably right between Salem and Albany, maybe stop in a parking lot, etc., to watch this somewhat rare event. We're getting some special glasses so we can look right at it.

Anyone else interested enough in this that you're going to take a drive to get to an area where it can be seen?

TSE2017_Oregon?format=1000w.jpg

There is a good website with some info and eclipse related products for sale here: Oregon eclipse

We have a place lined up in Madras,which is supposed to be a great spot to see it.
I can only imagine how much traffic there will be...

We have a place lined up in Madras,which is supposed to be a great spot to see it.
I can only imagine how much traffic there will be...

No doubt. I'm guessing I-5 will be worse than the days when the Ducks and Beavers are both playing at home.

There was a total eclipse when I was in junior high school.
Everyone else used a pin-hole viewer to see it indirectly, but I had a welder's glass out of a mask that let me look at it directly.
I was a cool kid for about an hour.

The idea has been tossed around that we may go camping and make a hike to the top of the Mountian to do some shooting of the eclipse.

I very clearly remember the last total eclipse in our area in 1979. I was 10 at the time and thought it was quite fascinating to see it go from light to total darkness. I studied Astronomy in school, so events like this still peak my interest.

Fast forward to 2017 and my daughter is now 10 and will be seeing her first total eclipse. Since it won't be visible as a total eclipse in the Portland area, I'll be taking a day off work and we'll be heading down I-5 somewhere probably right between Salem and Albany, maybe stop in a parking lot, etc., to watch this somewhat rare event. We're getting some special glasses so we can look right at it.

Anyone else interested enough in this that you're going to take a drive to get to an area where it can be seen?

View attachment 336291

There is a good website with some info and eclipse related products for sale here: Oregon eclipse
I didn't even know about this. Guess I will have to check it out!

Taking the day off and heading down to the Madras area with the kids. Might be easier to find a good spot in John Day though.

From what I've read, hotels and camp sights in the eclipse zone have been booked out since last year. A place like John Day may be easier to navigate for sure.

Too Cool! I still have my original eclipse glasses from National Geographic from back in 79! My Dad took us out to John Day area for a couple of days and we had a blast! The whole area was full of folks with all types and sizes of telescopes and super duper cameras and long lenses! We were in a relatively large open area and I bet there were over 200 people there with us! I am going to be up in the PNW at that time this year, I think I will camp in the Boardman area, probably the old Bombing Range or the hills above! Great Thread etrain16 brings back a lot of memories! I remember spreading out a white sheet on the ground and being able to "see" the show with out glasses, there were all sorts of other tricks we saw folks using, but I really only remember the sheet one!

I'm just going to bring some welding shades. If I can watch the puddle off a TIG torch from 9 inches away I think it will probably work for the sun with a big old moon in front of it. Been looking forward to this for years.

My neighbor talked me into going to see it back in '79 and we had a perfect spot in Warm Springs just off of Hwy 26. Portland was too cloudy.
The best part was watching the darkness speeding towards you and hearing roosters crowing along with the crowds cheering.

HA! i remember one of the last eclipse or whatever it was. a couple years ago i was bow hunting, i had ascended from the depths of mt hebo to find a crowd of city folk in lawn chairs waiting for it. not an elk in sight.

View attachment 336291

Newport looks good. Always love stopping by Rogue anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top