JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious if anyone is rocking a Glock 37 with its funky little propriety 45 GAP round?

Ran across someone selling a bunch of range pick up .45ACP that actually has a mostly 45GAP in it. They had no idea it was a different round, they just thought GAP was the headstamp from the Mfgr. Told them to hold one up to the ACP round.... they went "ohhhhhh its smaller".

I have heard of Glock 37s selling for dirt cheap due to the funky round. If I found one it would be fun to play with. Anyone else?

I was pretty interested in the .45GAP idea when it first came out, and from the research I did back then it'll do just about anything a .45ACP will do, just in a smaller package.

I've had the opportunity to shoot one on a few occasions and I found it to be very similar to shooting a regular .45ACP which isnt that surprising.

The only real downside to the GAP nowadays is ammo availability and price. I can't remember the last time I saw any GAP ammo on the shelf at any of my local gun shops.

I can't say that I have, though, "on paper", it isn't a bad round. Just the answer to a question no one asked. The Glocks in .45 ACP do just fine and you can find ammo for said almost anywhere in this hemisphere. If the 37 can be had a reasonable rates, why not? A little funky, but still viable. Not my cup of tea, even remotely, but to each their own.

The development did, vaguely, remind me of the Canadian .45 NAACO in that it was a wacky .45-something, but our hockey-playing allies to the north went in the opposite direction. It reportedly could launch a standard 230-grain .45 slug at 1,600 fps, from an automatic. (The .45 Winchester Magnum was in the same vein.) But NATO standardization put an end to that.

And I just lost my train of thought. :p

Yep. If you're a handloader, it's great! I had a G38 for a number of years. The guns are cheap because they're on a branch that's going to be sawed off sooner or later, but they run fine. I used Starline brass run through a 45 ACP setup on the Dillon Square Deal B. Only I had to grind a bit off the bottom of the seater die to make up for the shorter case... still worked great for 45 ACP. GAP is a higher pressure cartridge than the original, runs lighter bullets fast, but with the 230 grain bullets, you may not get full velocity. The Glock slide is pretty fat.. got the moniker of 'The Bulldog' at some point, and it fits IMHO. One cool thing about the pistol was 45 in a G17 sized grip. This was before the SF Glocks. In my way of looking at it, 45 GAP is kind of like the 244 Rem. Great cartridge that had no chance against a classic.

I think they'd be best to have for a steal of a price. If I understand correctly, they have a wide slide and skinny frame so certain parts are only compatible with GAP models. I think you'd almost be required to hand load, though as they only roll out a batch every 3rd full moon occurring on the 5th Sunday in February

I walked into Wade's in Bellevue back in, what was it, 2013? When we had a serious shortage of everything. The absolute only ammo they had on the shelf that day was .45 GAP. Since then, I've seen some serious bargain deals for GAP primed brass. I've bought guns before to go with ammo I came across but I didn't go for this one, already having some .45 ACP's.

I remember those cheap ones. Tempting at that crazy low price. 45 GAP and 41 AE, 2 great rounds that never caught on.
bhjhhuhi.JPG

gap.JPG

I thought the GAP was a strange idea in the first place. Not that I am clairvoyant, but I imagined that it would become another nearly obsolete round in a handful of years. In the niche it fits, the 40 S&W works well and it's a cartridge that's somewhat fading in popularity itself.

I own two pistols in 45 GAP - Glock 37 and Glock 38. Reload for 95% of my shooting in this caliber. Bought originally for the smaller grip size as the SF Glocks were not out at that point in time. Downside - 10 round magazine and the wide slide, upside - components are easy to find and the case is easy on powder. Uses small pistol primers, and 45 slugs. I shoot both 45 ACP and 9mm, so the components are around.

Case life is very good and the gun shoots well when I do my part. A nice round for the person with smaller hands and cannot grip the larger frame Glocks.

A nice round for the person with smaller hands and cannot grip the larger frame Glocks.

I bought a double stack 1911 over a Glock 21 way back when because I didn't like the way the fat bottomed Glock fit my hand. I thought this was part of the reason behind it's (GAP) development.

The Glock 37 prototype had a G17 slide width. Unfortunately, it proved not to be 100% reliable. Thus they tweaked it by going with a G21 slide. That was a major deal breaker for me.

Been tempted many times over the years but just couldn't bring myself to pick one up. :s0002:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top