JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know its a few months off, maybe 4 but I usally start around April 20 as my daughters birthday is the 21st and about half the time I can scrounge up enough for dinner and if I dont I break out the dried or the ones I put up the year befpre in butter.

PictureFROMMYPHONE045_zps325cf877.jpg

I have always done a lot of hunting for fall musrooms. Year before last was the first time I went up towards Mt. Hood for Morels. We found a few, enough to make it worth the trip I 'spose. Last spring it was so dry when we finally went up we found nothing, not even an over-the-hill morel. PLUS, it took the old gal at the Forest Service office in Sandy a freaking HOUR to get us three free permits! That day we looked in the Timothy/Clear Lake Lake area, from snow line to about the 2000' level.

Anyway, It would be nice to keep this thread up to give some clues, to the "Clueless", ME, about elevation perhaps. I know I would never put my secret chanterelle spots out there, but I give ideas, so I'm not looking for exact locations.

Mike

How was or how is the truffle season this year? I havnt been to my spot for a few years. I just dont enjoy them enough I guess. I have a spot that I can find as many as I could ever use but its a lot of work and as far as selling them goes, they dont give you enough money in my opinion.

What, you don't join in the festivities down on the Willamette this time of year?

The summer "Slime Rockets" on the Columbia are my favorites.

Yes I do. I tried to post a picture of a springer but I couldnt get it to post yesterday. I am about 5 minutes from Ceder Oak boat ramp but I dont want to burn out early this year. I am going to wait until my chances are better.

That summer slim rocket was caught last year on the clakamas in early April .

A buddy got two the other day bouncing eggs already. That game usually doesn't start till later. The water temps are as high as I've ever seen hem this early.

See now you got me wanting to go. Well played my friend, well played.

These should be popping in an area near you. I find them in or under the the cotton wood trees on the Willamette River in the metro area. As with any mushroom please know what you are eating before getting to that point. If your in doubt throw it out.

<broken link removed>

I have found those locally, but due to the warnings I've not wanted to try them.

So, when would a person start up in the Cascades? Elevation?

My favorite reference book is "The Audubon Society Guide to North American Mushrooms".

Mike

I have found those locally, but due to the warnings I've not wanted to try them.

So, when would a person start up in the Cascades? Elevation?

My favorite reference book is "The Audubon Society Guide to North American Mushrooms".

Mike

My daughters birthday is April 21st about half the time I can find enough for a small feed a few days before her birthday. This year I am going to wait until the last weekend in april or around the first of may.

As far as elevation I would start right below the snow line. When I go early sometimes it snows like a banchi on me when I go over the pass. I have found them with snow all around them also. I will check the elevation for you on my first trip of the year in 3-4 weeks.

I bet they are popping already in southern oregon.

Cleaned and sliced, sauté in butter with a bit of onion, a pinch of salt and pepper, add scrambled eggs, cook to desired consistency!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top