JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ROXOR4_NewDuneEdition.jpg

2018 Mahindra Roxor vs. Willys Jeep: By the Numbers - ATV.com

Heard about these last year when looking for a UTV for the woods. Was very intrigued by them but I needed something 50" wide to go around the Forest Service gates legally.

Was surprised to learn just how big most UTVs are compared to the original Willy's Jeep.

Original Willy's Jeep was 57" wide and 123" long.

A Honda Pioneer 1000 is 63" wide and 117" long.

Was driving through Colfax the other day and saw that the farm implement dealer had a couple of them sitting out front for sale. Didn't have time to check them out, though.

Was curious if anyone here had any experience with them.

Haven't driven one, have looked them over, don't see any advantage they have over my 20 year old Jeep Wrangler aside from fuel mileage. I can buy a lot of gas for the difference in "value". BTW my Jeep has AC. :)

Haven't driven one, have looked them over, don't see any advantage they have over my 20 year old Jeep Wrangler aside from fuel mileage. I can buy a lot of gas for the difference in "value". BTW my Jeep has AC. :)

I was thinking the same thing. Interesting looking idea but when I read it said not street legal and never would be? That made me wonder what would be the point of buying one?

It's basically just like any other UTV. But, it has a diesel and a MSRP of around $15k. Besides, UTV are street legal in many states, including Idaho and Washington.

I bought my Pioneer and the dealer added a rear-view mirror and a horn. It is registered and licensed and I run around town in it all the time. The Roxor would be similar.

View attachment 583301

Ok, now if you could license it I could see it. Looking at the article I could not see why it was not street legal and they did not say. Just said never was and never would be. They were kind of cool the way they looked so much like those old Jeeps that were all over when I was a kid.

Ok, now if you could license it I could see it. Looking at the article I could not see why it was not street legal and they did not say. Just said never was and never would be. They were kind of cool the way they looked so much like those old Jeeps that were all over when I was a kid.

I think they are referring to something else, like it being classified from the manufacturer as being DOT approved...

STREET-LEGALIZE YOUR UTV | UTV Action Magazine

"Many states (NV, WA, etc.) require that UTVs only be operated on county (general and minor) roads with speed limits of 45 mph and lower."

I think they are referring to something else, like it being classified from the manufacturer as being DOT approved...

STREET-LEGALIZE YOUR UTV | UTV Action Magazine

"Many states (NV, WA, etc.) require that UTVs only be operated on county (general and minor) roads with speed limits of 45 mph and lower."

I was going by this line in that first article;
The old Willy's was rated for 2,000 pounds on pavement and only 1,200 on dirt. We can't really compare on-road specs for the Roxor and Willys because the Roxor is not, nor will it ever be street legal according to Mahindra.
That was what threw me. Looked like the thing had front and rear lights like it was made for the road. So they are not really classified as a motor vehicle then I have to guess.
Then I just went back and looked at it again and see they say it has a governor to not allow it to go over 45 MPH. So I can see why that would be a problem. If they would do away with the governor so it could do normal highway speed seems like it would be a neat little thing to have.

Looked 'em over closely but nothing more than a SXS in retro.
They look pretty well made but spendy.
Not real practical in Oregon with the restrictive OHV laws we have.
One of the reasons I sold my quad.

When I looked at them at the fair last year I felt they lacked the ground clearance of a stock Wrangler and by the time you added the options many people would want they would cost... For the roads / trails I cant use the Jeep on I have my quads. If I were going to spend 15 - 20K on another "offroad" toy I'd buy another Pinzgauer only I'd go with a soft top this time.:)
a4.jpg

From what I remember, the Roxor is basically an evolutionary development of the Mahindra licensed CJ3B Willys jeeps, which is a big seller over in Asia... but due to the DOT rules, they have to be sold as UTVs instead of occupying the same class of vehicle that the jeeps does... main thing I think is the crumple zone, crashworthiness, roll over protection, and the fact its basically an updated 1940s Indian(Hindu) made Jeep:rolleyes:

I think there were some discussion on the Willys forums about if its possible to basically drop a CJ3 vin tagged body onto a Roxor frame/drivetrain and make it street legal :confused: but the consensus was that it'd be a waste of money as CJ3s and CJ5s are still relatively affordable..

If not for the 50" width restrictiion, a Haflinger 4x4 at 60" width could be the ticket... its basically the little brother to the Pinzgauer.

The Roxor bears NO resemblance to the Willys CJ3B.
The CJ3B was the 'High Hood' version of the CJ2A and had the 'F' Head engine.
A CJ3B was my FIRST Jeep restoration.
From the wikipedia site; it is an evolutionary development of a vehicle design going back to the Mahindra Willys CJ3B.

Mahindra Roxor - Wikipedia
The ROXOR has an authentic, vintage feel – and the ROXOR's DNA can be traced back to the original CJ3B which Mahindra began producing in India just after WWII. Other Mahindra vehicles that share the ROXOR's lineage include the Mahindra Thar[5], currently sold in India since 2010, the 1980s Mahindra MM540 model, the Jeep [CJ] models from the 1960s, and Willys CJ vehicles from the 40s. Mahindra was granted a license in 1947 to use the Jeep and CJ trademarks, and Willys originally shipped complete vehicle kits directly to Mahindra. Over time, the vehicles were localized in India. Reflecting its 70+ year history, the body design and a significant chunk of its mechanical architecture have remained largely untouched. The curved fenders and hood along with the welded steel tub structure gives the ROXOR a distinct vintage CJ feel.

On the other hand, the Mahindra Thar, current vehicle in India markets... looks more like the CJ5 type of jeeps. Mahindra did use Willys license to make CJ Willys copies though...
Mahindra Thar - Wikipedia

Mahindra Major - Wikipedia

The CJ-3B design was also licensed to a number of international manufacturers, which produced a civilian and military variants long after 1968, including Mitsubishi of Japan and Mahindra of India. Mitsubishi's version was built from 1953 until 1998, while Mahindra continued to produce vehicles based on the Willys CJ-3B until October 1, 2010. The CJ-3B was also built by Türk Willys Overland. It was the first vehicle plant to be opened in Turkey, in 1954.[27] Mahindra's "Mahindra CJ" produced in two versions: four-seater CJ 340 and six-seater CJ 540. Both were equipped with Peugeot-sourced 64 hp (48 kW; 65 PS) engines.[28]
From the CJ3B section of Jeep CJ - Wikipedia

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads