JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a great little Sig P238. But after firing 100+ rounds at the range today, the trigger pull length and weight needs work. The pull is LOOOOONG and it is really hard to figure where it will finally break. I have searched for aftermarket "trigger kits" without any luck. Several folks have suggested using springs and parts from the Colt Mustang. But looking at what I find on the Wolff site (<broken link removed>)
I don't know enough about the P238's spring rates to know if any of these Colt parts would help or hurt. I did locate a guy in Tillamook that makes great SS triggers for the Sig and I will order one just for the feel and look, but the trigger alone won't change the pull.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :s0155:

Jim

Try the Sig Forum. Is your pistol new? The older Sig 238's have a different springthenthenew ones. CallSig.Spad

I have the question on the Sig forum as well. The P238 is a new, current version with the flat recoil spring.
Thanks,
Jim

It's new? Then it's under warranty; Sig will fix defects at no charge and even pay for the shipping.

Send it to any of those 'experts' on the Sig forum, or attempt to "fix it" yourself and kiss the warranty bye-bye.

It's new? Then it's under warranty; Sig will fix defects at no charge and even pay for the shipping.

Send it to any of those 'experts' on the Sig forum, or attempt to "fix it" yourself and kiss the warranty bye-bye.

Understood, but I would suspect that Sig would just say that the trigger pull is "normal" for the P238

BTW, my manual says the Trigger Pull is "SAO: 5.0 lbs"

Last Edited:
Understood, but I would suspect that Sig would just say that the trigger pull is "normal" for the P238
Still, give their CS a call. Perhaps you would want to actually hear that from them...?

Here's a suggestion; take it to an authorized Sig dealer (I guess that would be shop selling Sigs) and ask them to gage the pull weight. If it's outside of Sig's published specs then it wouldn't be 'normal'. Trust your fingers.

Still, give their CS a call. Perhaps you would want to actually hear that from them...?

Here's a suggestion; take it to an authorized Sig dealer (I guess that would be shop selling Sigs) and ask them to gage the pull weight. If it's outside of Sig's published specs then it wouldn't be 'normal'. Trust your fingers.

Good suggestions, I will see if my dealer will measure the pull for me and then I will call Sig.

Thanks,
Jim

Just had the trigger pull on my P238 tested......10.13 lbs which is over twice the spec of 5lbs listed in my P238 manual.

Looks like I will be giving Sig a call tomorrow.

Sig has excellent CS and an amazingly fast turnaround.

I sure hope your right as my first call to Sig Tech was not very encouraging. The Tech just sort of laughed off my trigger pull measurement on the Lyman Digital trigger gauge. He said that if we didn't use a "NRA Scale" then we can't trust the 10.13 lb measurement that we got. I didn't know what a "NRA Scale" was so I Googled it

NRA OFFICIAL UNIVERSAL TRIGGER WEIGHT SYSTEM - Brownells

I pushed ahead and his final statement was "of course we will look at your pistol if you can do without it for three weeks"
The call didn't leave me feeling supported as a customer. But I will still send my new P238 next week just to see what happens.........hoping for the best. :s0131:

Jim

Hey, well my 238 arrived back from Sig in 8 days total. Note says they "adjusted the trigger pull and test fired". They did not note what the new trigger pull was :(
Happy with the speed of the turn around but I haven't tested it yet. I will take it over to my dealer and re-test the pull on his Lyman digital and see if it is now less than the 10.13lbs it was when I sent it in.
I had fully polished the barrel and feed ramp so I was worried they would say the warranty was now void.......but they didn't.

Jim

You can tweak the pull yourself when you replace the trigger (which is polished aluminium unless he changed metals recently). JFYI, the 238 is a PITA to take apart because the pins are machine pressed in at the factory. I had to use some steel rod chucked in my drill press to get mine apart and change the trigger.

You can tweak the pull yourself when you replace the trigger (which is polished aluminium unless he changed metals recently). JFYI, the 238 is a PITA to take apart because the pins are machine pressed in at the factory. I had to use some steel rod chucked in my drill press to get mine apart and change the trigger.

His triggers are stainless and by looking at his video on YouTube it doesn't look like you have to pull that much off to swap triggers

Hey, well my 238 arrived back from Sig in 8 days total. Note says they "adjusted the trigger pull and test fired". They did not note what the new trigger pull was :(
Happy with the speed of the turn around but I haven't tested it yet. I will take it over to my dealer and re-test the pull on his Lyman digital and see if it is now less than the 10.13lbs it was when I sent it in.
I had fully polished the barrel and feed ramp so I was worried they would say the warranty was now void.......but they didn't.

Jim

Just took my Sig P238 to my local dealer and had him re-test the pull on his Lyman digital....... 7.2 lbs :s0155: which is a good improvement over the previous 10.13 lbs. The trigger also feels a lot smoother through out the pull. So Sig did do some magic :D I will retest after I install the partsproduction stainless trigger to see if that creates a change.

Jim

Update,

I visited partsproduction (Glen) at his shop yesterday and he installed the new stainless trigger that I bought from him a couple of weeks ago. The process was pretty easy only requires the removal of the trigger pin which was very tight and the mag release. The trigger feel was much improved after the new trigger but it didn't change the actual trigger pull as I had it tested again today. So the next step was to install a different mainspring that I bought from Wolff Springs. The spring was originally designed for a Colt Pony or Mustang and has a lighter rating which may reduce the trigger pull further.
This swap was very easy only requiring removing the mainspring pin which just pushed right out. Also the safety had to be removed and the hammer then the mainspring will fall right out when the pistol is inverted. Would have been less than a ten minute job but I decided to polish out my hammer and also do a light cleaning/polish on the bottom of the hammer where it contacts the sear. I power polished the external parts of the hammer but only used a light hand polish with MAAS cream as the cuts are very sharp and I didn't want to damage anything here. Gave all removed parts and the sear area a cleaning and lube with Froglube and reassembled. I will have the trigger pull retested tomorrow and see if I got any closer to the 5lb pull that I was hoping for.

Geez, I think that is even worse....at least with the double/single action trigger, a poor pull is expected. Now I think the problem is worse than I initially thought..

You might want to try using Shooter's service Center in St. John's. The smith there has worked over lots of triggers on both duty guns, and competition guns for me, and all turned out great. If the poor pull is problematic for that model, he will let you know up front whether it is worth the work or not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top