JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I fly say 15 times per year and love Pre-check. I'd pay the fee if I only flew a few times per year. Much faster and simpler getting through the scan. Shoes stay on, laptop stays in it's case. Liquids and powders stay in your bag (you should still have them in a clear quart sized bag just in case). I throw my keys and phone in my computer bag and it goes on the conveyer belt. The only other thing is to put your coat on the conveyer if you are wearing one. Walk through the detector and your on your way.

I used to get pulled for a swab and hand check virtually every time I flew. Since Pre-check (three years now) that has only happened once and the TSA officer said it was a randomly flagged search.

My family flies with me a couple of times per year. They do not have paid pre-check, but if you book your tickets at the same time they have always been assigned pre-check anyway. I'm sure this is not guaranteed, but it happens to me all the time.

I fly say 15 times per year and love Pre-check. I'd pay the fee if I only flew a few times per year. Much faster and simpler getting through the scan. Shoes stay on, laptop stays in it's case. Liquids and powders stay in your bag (you should still have them in a clear quart sized bag just in case). I throw my keys and phone in my computer bag and it goes on the conveyer belt. The only other thing is to put your coat on the conveyer if you are wearing one. Walk through the detector and your on your way.

I used to get pulled for a swab and hand check virtually every time I flew. Since Pre-check (three years now) that has only happened once and the TSA officer said it was a randomly flagged search.

My family flies with me a couple of times per year. They do not have paid pre-check, but if you book your tickets at the same time they have always been assigned pre-check anyway. I'm sure this is not guaranteed, but it happens to me all the time.

Interesting to know that it can apply to family as well. That would make it an even better deal.

Totally worth it in my opinion. I fly a lot for work, and in places like Seattle and Denver it saves you significant time and aggravation. In fact, the awful mess in Seattle is what prompted me to go get it. Sales guy I was traveling with who had precheck got to the airport after me, and was through way before me. In small airports like Medford or Bend it doesn't get you much however. Also, I believe the liquid limit doesn't apply to precheck, so you can bring your full size toiletries.

Last Edited:
Interesting to know that it can apply to family as well. That would make it an even better deal.
It doesn't actually grant family members guaranteed pre-check but I've found in practice it does.

There was one time a few years back that my 14 yr-old son did not get pre-check while I of course did. In that case I just went through the regular line with him.

This is the only time my family traveling together was not granted pre status.

I've heard others have the same experience with family.

So while not guaranteed, it most likely they will be granted the reduced screening along with the pre service holder.

Totally worth it in my opinion. I fly a lot for work, and in places like Seattle and Denver it saves you significant time and aggravation. In fact, the awful mess in Seattle is what prompted me to go get it. Sales guy I was traveling with who had precheck got to the airport after me, and was through way before me. In small airports like Medford or Bend it doesn't get you much however. Also, I believe the liquid limit doesn't apply to precheck, so you can bring your full size toiletries.
It's always a good idea to be ready for standard screening however. Small airports don't all have the pre service. Pre service e can be suspended at the larger airports too. Staffing issues, equipment failure and elevated alert status are several of the reasons it may be temporarily suspended.

It doesn't actually grant family members guaranteed pre-check but I've found in practice it does.

There was one time a few years back that my 14 yr-old son did not get pre-check while I of course did. In that case I just went through the regular line with him.

This is the only time my family traveling together was not granted pre status.

I've heard others have the same experience with family.

So while not guaranteed, it most likely they will be granted the reduced screening along with the pre service holder.

I have a buddy that has it and his wife doesn't. When they travel together and she doesn't get she still goes through precheck with him.

I have pre check.
I have to sit, to remove my shoes and even some larger airports don't have a place to sit and remove them.
At PDX, they asked for all laptops to be removed from their bags. Some request it and some don't.
I have a travel vest with a laptop pocket. I told the checker I had a laptop in my pocket and she wanted to know if I was kidding. They don't all have experience and some can make it difficult.

Pre check is well worth it, for me.

My brother has been using it for a while, I just applied for a trip I have to take in November. Sounds like it makes the process of getting through security at most airports much easier and faster (shoes stay on, belt stays on, no need to unpack laptops, etc. from your bag, shorter lines).

I've got to go in a few weeks and get my fingerprints done locally for this, should have the number before I fly in November.

Anyway for $85 for 5 years, sounds like a good deal.

Anyone have any negatives about this program they want to share? Other than being on another government list, that is.

I fly weekly and wouldn't be able to do it without TSA Pre and Clear (CLEAR - The fastest, most reliable way to fly through security.)

I travel for pleasure two or more times a year.
Once is usually international.
Some years I travel more frequently for business.

I got Global Entry which includes TSA PreCheck but also but also lets me clear returning passport check and customs faster. Well worth it if you fly much.
Global Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

If you don't travel internationally, TSA PreCheck is probably sufficient.
I have a friend that travels to Canada frequently, he got NEXUS to speed through the border crossing.
Information on all trusted traveler programs:
Trusted Traveler Programs

The advantages for both Global Entry and TSA PreCheck:
1. Every time I've been to the airport, the pre-check line is much shorter.
2. Every time I've been to the airport, the pre-check line moves faster.
3. Leave laptops in bags, leave liquids in bags, leave shoes on, leave belt on.
4. No X-ray, just a metal detector.

PDX doesn't have Clear, but SEA, SJC, SFO, & DAL do (my frequent airports)

They work together. There is a separate line for Clear (in addition to Pre/standard). You use your finger print and boarding pass via a Clear kiosk, and then the Clear rep walks you past the TSA guy and places you in the Pre scanning line.

It really helps at airports with over crowded Pre lines before the TSA rep b/c they let too many people who don't travel often into the pre line.

I fly 2-3 trips per month and have always had it.

Pros:
Cheap for what you get and for five years.
Can save time with shorter lines.
Usually don't have to remove shoes or take liquids and laptop out of a bag.

Cons:
Everybody has it now, in Spokane the early morning precheck line is just as long if not longer than standard line, but does tend to move slightly faster.
Just because people have paid for it doesn't no mean they know what they are doing when traveling. The people who refuse to get ready while standing in line doing nothing and want to empty their pockets in the ten seconds it takes to get from the ID check to the metal detector holding up everyone behind them.
Sometimes you come across airports where they don't have precheck open. In this case you are usually given a card that saves your shoes from coming off but everything else is the same as not having it.

I have pre-check and global, pre-check is worth every penny, even if more people have it. The people that use it are prepared and faster. I usually don't show up to the airport now until 30 minutes before boarding and still always have time to spare.

If you're going to fly alot, pick an airline and try to use them whenever possible. Getting up in the rewards tier is awesome.

If you have an Amex platinum or business, Amex will pay for your pre-check and global fees.

I fly about 20 times per year

Final note for anyone else on Amex, get the priority pass. It sucks for most airports, but PDX is amazing. $28 to spend at 3 different venues ($28 free at each), no cash out of pocket, no restrictions and you can even bring guests who get the full benefit too.

I noticed once I got older, 70% of the time I got the TSA precheck without asking for it. However, the few times I didn't get it the lines were longer so I applied and got the number. Just make sure you put the number in every time you buy a ticket. I forgot once and had to go to the counter to get an updated boarding pass.

An airline pilot friend found a deal through Canada which included international entry. $50/5 years. Can't beat it. Shoulda' seen the line of Japanese tourists waiting in Honolulu on their way home. Tragically long.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top