JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had turn turn in my laptop since I switched jobs, so I bought a MacBook Air....oh lord, I feel like some sort of geriatric mental case here. This thing is so much different than a windows based machine. I'm starting to get through it, but nothing is laid out like I'm used to :mad::)

Anyone else switch to a Mac and experience the same?

Very much so. I use a Windows laptop for work and got my wife's hand-me-down mac for home use. I still can't run it the same way I can the Windows PC. It works but I have a preference to PC's due to my history with them.

I had turn turn in my laptop since I switched jobs, so I bought a MacBook Air....oh lord, I feel like some sort of geriatric mental case here. This thing is so much different than a windows based machine. I'm starting to get through it, but nothing is laid out like I'm used to :mad::)

Anyone else switch to a Mac and experience the same?

You done with the 'dorpher?

The closest I've gotten to Apple products is an iPhone, which I like better than a 'droid based phone. There's a few things with the iOS that annoy me, but it's WAY less buggy and less prone to viruses/hacking.

The best analogy I can think of is that PC's are like your first car that you can tinker with and tweak as you have money, upgrade it here and there and then you have to constantly do maintenance on it.

Mac's are like tuned factory sports cars. You turn the key and they go full speed. IF it breaks then you take it to apple and they have it up and running same day a lot of times.

I grew up with apples and macs then switched to PCs in the late 80's/early 90's and did the over clocked runs like a bull on steroids for gaming machines (until you get an update that destroys the thing and you have to reformat the hard drive).

Switched to iPhones about 8 years ago and have been slowly converting the house to Macs. At this point we only have one PC for my wife's work and my daughters old laptop she uses for Korean TV so there are inevitably viruses or malware installed I have to clean up.

I use a Mac Pro tower from 2005 for my For video editing and to watch things on the living room TV and a 2008 laptop For mail and conventions where I have to make presentations. I'd take the tower but I think it weighs 40-50 lbs and built like a tank.

PC's are universal fit components so there are a ton of manufacturers and they all have different software interfaces. Plus you pay for OS upgrades.

Macs are Apple only components and software so there is WAY less to go wrong. And OS upgrades are free.

I think for me it's the whole touchpad right click left click thing. I do a lot of writing which means a lot of ctrl-c, ctrl-v, ctrl-x....all of which all seems to be gone. I'm cringing at the thought of diving into a spreadsheet when I get to that point.

I do agree with the comments here, it is an elegant little machine, I'm just used to more intuitive tools. My son believes I'm overthinking it like I do with most everything :D

@Stomper ...no more 'dorfer. Got an offer I could not refuse (I'm going to be your new boss...lol j/k) :)

I think for me it's the whole touchpad right click left click thing. I do a lot of writing which means a lot of ctrl-c, ctrl-v, ctrl-x....all of which all seems to be gone. I'm cringing at the thought of diving into a spreadsheet when I get to that point.

You can customize the touchpad to work however you want it too - or get a Bluetooth mouse for it.

ALL of the hot key commands are the same - Windows has been trying to emulate macs since Windows 95 came out.

The only difference in hot keys is on your Mac you use "command-c" for copy etc. Just substitute the ctrl key for the command key.

If your intimidated by jumping into a spreadsheet - don't try video editing in Final Cut or Adobe, there are a few hundred hot key short cuts that make a 10 hour project turn into a 2 hour one:eek::D.

Feel free to PM me if y'all have any questions. YouTube is probably better but I can point you in the right direction if I don't actually know how to do what you want.

I'm thinking my next 'puter will be some flavor of Mac. Windows PC have gotten "boring", and I'm NOT a fan of the "metro" tiles desktop scheme... at all.

Lot of great used ones out there if the new ones give you a sticker shock.

I bought a 2005 Tower for $300 and for about $300 more in parts off eBay I can turn it into a $4k machine.

Just helped my daughter get a $1800 custom MacBook Air for $500 used and like new.

When I can afford it I will switch.

Using iOS based phones that do 95% of my daily stuff...

It's more intuitive than Windows. If you were to erase all prior Windows programmed use from your brain, learning a Mac would be easier and quicker.

I use a MacBook Air and it's great for me.

Love those Macbook airs for what they are, super slim and light with a ton of battery power.

I'm into video editing and they are not built for that nor are they upgradeable at all - what you buy is what you get (although you can order custom machines to max out thier potential).

I'm praying for a decent MacBook Pro with a large screen as my next computer but I have to make money and have a list of guns I want first:p. Dropping 2-3k on a laptop will hurt but Macs are good for 10+ years vs PC's are usually obsolete in about 5 years unless you paid way too much for your PC and got the highest end everything.

I'm praying for a decent MacBook Pro with a large screen as my next computer but I have to make money and have a list of guns I want first:p. Dropping 2-3k on a laptop will hurt but Macs are good for 10+ years vs PC's are usually obsolete in about 5 years unless you paid way too much for your PC and got the highest end everything.

True to a point. Most computers have hard drive failure at the 5 year mark if they are used a lot and kept on all the time. My current PC has lasted 8 years. Three hard drives later.... and once I upgraded a year ago to a SSD I was about to toss it.

Now that everything is SATA, you can easily take your old PC hard drive and slap it in a portable case and plug it into your new Mac. Old files are not lost... :). Easier on the nerves when you switch like that. (At least that's my intention when I switch).

True to a point. Most computers have hard drive failure at the 5 year mark if they are used a lot and kept on all the time. My current PC has lasted 8 years. Three hard drives later.... and once I upgraded a year ago to a SSD I was about to toss it.

Now that everything is SATA, you can easily take your old PC hard drive and slap it in a portable case and plug it into your new Mac. Old files are not lost... :). Easier on the nerves when you switch like that. (At least that's my intention when I switch).

I was referring more to the software support goes away faster on PC software it seems - things may have changed since I went mac but after about 5 years in a PC you may as buy a new one cuz Windows 21 isn't very compatable with a PC that was built when Windows 18 was released (an example).

I always ran my pc's with as close to the original version of Windows that was out when I built it.

My 11 year old tower just recently told me that future versions of chrome will not be compatable with my OS. So I think I have another 2 years before I have to upgrade the hardware so I can run a newer version of OSX.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm reading them and appreciate the perspective. It's getting easier.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top