JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a barrel and would like to give it a few shots before I take the plunge for dies and making brass, blah, blah, blah. Anybody remotely near me reload for this caliber and want to make a new friend? I'll supply components.

Thanks,
Bryan next to Willamina, OR

Rare cartridge.

6×45mm - Wikipedia

223 necked to 243. Low charge. Good for barrel life. Very accurate. Used for benchrest in the 1970s before people settled on 6mmbr and 6ppc.

Interesting and cool but I would have it rechambered to 6mmbr as that is such a forgiving cartridge and good farther out than 6x45.

It's an AR-15 barrel. Just for fun. Neck up 223 rem brass and shoot a bit heavier bullets more efficiently. You don't have to find a special bolt this way.

I'll look into a different chamber but unless it used a standard bolt and magazines I'll stick with this. I don't think it's all that rare.I think there is even factory loaded ammo available.

Bryan

I currently have one built on a Tikka T-3 action and it is incredibly accurate with about zero recoil. You see everything happening in the scope so it is entirely possible to call your own shots and see your hits. Very fun caliber/gun combination. I have had one in an AR platform that performed well also, but I got tired of chasing my brass around so I sold it and kept the bolt gun.

My barrel is a Shilen with a 1:9" twist that likes everything up to about a 75-80 grain bullet. It does not give suitable accuracy on bullets over 85 grains, and the 100 grain bullets keyhole. So if you are wanting to shoot the heavier (for caliber) bullets I would suggest a faster twist barrel of 1:8" or 1:7". Mine absolutely loves the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and 25.5 grains of H322. The 75 grain Hornady Hollow Point with 24.0 grains of H322 is sub 1/4" MOA. I would use it for hunting smaller deer if my twist rate was faster so I could use an 85 to 100 grain bullet, but it has killed it's fair share of coyotes.

Look up "Deadshot" barrels, they kind of specialize in the 6x45 chambering and are located in Culver Oregon I think, good quality without a break the bank price.

Good luck with your build!

Last Edited:
If I decide I really like the caliber but not the barrel I'll look them up but I already have a barrel. It's a Black Hole Weaponry 16", 1:9, spiral flutes. I got into it for a good deal, off the shelf. If I was ordering one I'd probably go a bit longer and faster twist.

Bryan

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top