JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to learn how to do nice clean welds for custom furniture. Willing to pay of course. :)

I was planning on going through ADX in Portland but it looks like they discontinued their classes. Also looked into PCC but I'm really wanting 1 on 1 lessons.

Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks!

I used to be a certified pipe welder years ago. I would teach you what I know, but I am a long ways away from Eugene. Maybe some one else could help you out that is closer.

I would also be wanting to do this. I took some classes like 10 years ago at LBCC. I enjoyed it. I recently picked up a Lincoln mig welder from my father and an oxy/acetylene torch setup.

I'm rebuilding a couple cars and want to get into fabrication. I work as a firefighter but have a decent amount of free time.

I used to be a certified pipe welder years ago. I would teach you what I know, but I am a long ways away from Eugene. Maybe some one else could help you out that is closer.
Oh, Eugene is my name. I'm in Portland. :)

Not too far if you're in Vancouver.
I would also be wanting to do this. I took some classes like 10 years ago at LBCC. I enjoyed it. I recently picked up a Lincoln mig welder from my father and an oxy/acetylene torch setup.

I'm rebuilding a couple cars and want to get into fabrication. I work as a firefighter but have a decent amount of free time.

Maybe group lessons? I live in Beaverton. :)

My welding skills improved immensely after I bought a high quality instant dark welding that you could custom fit with magnified lenses.
If you can't see the welding arc clearly, you'll always be guessing what's happening.

Which one did you get?

I was looking at the Miller welding helmets (over $200.00) and the young salesman at Central Welding Supply steered me to a lower priced companies model that made the Miller helmets, but had a slightly narrower width of vision then the Miller one and no fancy label graphics ($120.00).
I'm not home right now and I can't remember the name, but it's the most comfortable helmet I've worn.
What I like best is that the lens darkens the most right at the arc and gradually lightens the further away from the action.
You can see where you need to go with the tip of the nozzle, unlike my old Harbor Freight one where it was a guessing game.
My neighbor sold me for cheap an older Dan Mig 120 volt welder that was designed for body shop work and it's my favorite machine to use on lighter metal repairs. It welds like a dream.

Weldcote Metals Ultraview Plus True Color Digital Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Shade $100.00 on sale.

lZLOLhRFGd_5MJa4QBCWwDkw0nvSahmI-6ORqqS9yZ-LXY8JI5gOFT0u9aMjmcDkBdTYA0JF=s500-pd-e365-pc0xffffff.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm stuck down in cali working atm but i'll be back home in gresham next month. I'd be happy to get ya all set up with some basic knowledge, whether it be for stick welding or wire or tig. My recommendation is the get a cheep hood and not one of the big lens ones cuzz if you are learning you need to focus on the weld and not be distracted, I would get something like this pipeliner hood. As for comfort it is hard to beat the rubber strap.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F7JFO...&pd_rd_r=4c8976d4-6dc6-11e9-8d62-07ed84270f12

I still use one like that depending on what i'm doing with a old jackson battery operated auto lens. (a good 20 years old now) you ought to be able to get a cheep but good lens and hood for around a hundred bucks. the other nice thing about the small lens is the lens protectors are cheep, and if you need cheater lenses you can put them in as well. My old man had a setup like that for many years. Anyway thats just my two cents, take it as you will.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews