Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any pest experts out there

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LMT10mm, Oct 13, 2015.

1. LMT10mm

LMT10mm Hillsboro Member

howdy y'all,

Been having some mice problems in the house which have been getting taken care of by traps, but tonight the dogs went crazy outside and I noticed a decent size rat they were going after. After I was able to get them inside a quiet little sparrow swooped in and took it out. (It wasn't moving very fast) Anyhow, upon looking closer I observed to be what appeared to be 3 full grown "botfly" like larve coming out of it. Now it was alive prior to the rodent coming to an end, but the larve coming out just didn't seem normal. I've attached some pics, which are graphic and I apologize, but I wanted to get some insight on it . Moderators, I can remove pics if needed. ... Any info???

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

I was in pest control for a few years maybe ummm 25 years ago.
    The fly is not known to transmit disease-causing pathogens, and it is
    normal to find attached to just about any mammal including humans.
    Botflies deposit eggs on a host, or sometimes use an intermediate such as the housefly, mosquitoes, and, some species of tick.
    These are often seen in horses and cows as well, finding a human with it is rare as we usually notice it.
    They are more common in southern states, but with the warmer weather it wouldnt surprise me to see more around us up here. But are usually mostly warm and damp climates of the southern states.
    Look like a botfly to me and that kinda odd to find one has anyone traveled, got new pets, horses, gone hunting out of state ?

LMT10mm likes this.
  3. LMT10mm

LMT10mm Hillsboro Member

Thank you for sharing and your insight. I went bow hunting around coos bay about a month ago. The pups have been here close to a year, but nothing I would consider abnormal. I thought this was quite odd, and after I shot it I immediately observed the larve crawl out. I think the rat was on its last leg as the larve were quite big. im gonna keep an eye on the pups. Anyhow, I just really thought it was odd, and thought I'd share. Any other input is welcomed...

4. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

That's nasty. Nature you scary!

Sure looks bot fly esque. Gross.

Edit:
    I probably would have put it in a jar to see what it turned out to be.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  5. coyotecaller

coyotecaller Active Member

I used to set live traps for rats at my last work place and same parasites exited their bodies, causing the rat to die if I didn't check the trap within 48 hours or over a weekend. The rat didn't eat, so rather then starve inside, the parasite ate it's way out. Exit holes looked like .22 holes. All I can say is, they are rats… city sewer rats that carry probably not only these parasites but a bouquet of deceases too. Then some people come up with ideas, that a rat makes a good pet… Sigh! Some peoples children o_O

Ben Beckerich, DuneHopper and ron like this.
  6. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm not a weenie but, AAARRRGGGG!! That is disgusting.

Gotta get Wifey in here to see that!

7. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

That reminds e of when I would go to the big cities for pestcontrol we would find large warf rates that were colored like domestic ones. They would get loose and mate and you would have these cat size rats that looked like pets. The only problem doing pest control is you learn fast the places you dont want to eat at. Sanfransico was the worst city, all those vermin and nasty looking things there that come out and night. Oh and there was nasty pests to take care of too.o_O:s0140:

8. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4003-1405895124-4.gif

LMT10mm, DuneHopper and etrain16 like this.
  9. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Where's @ZA_Survivalist on this thread? He does pest control for a living. Let's see if tagging him will pull in his expertise.

Oh, BTW, damn!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  10. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Rodent bot fly. Granted they're really all the same.
    While it seems odd, its common. Now, I havent seen three come out of a single rat at one time, heck I havent seen many infested in rats at all.

Usually outdoor but domesticated animals:
    Dogs, cats, rabbits..etc.

We dont usually see stuff like this up close, but it is out there.

As for the rats lethargy, this could be a few things: old age, poison, internal organ or bone damage from a previous predatory animal, disease or another parasite ..etc.

DuneHopper, LMT10mm and etrain16 like this.
  11. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Decon! It works great. Sticky traps work well too but a little messier.
    I had a horrible mouse problem in an apt i lived in in vancouver. I was putting down sticky traps, but then I would have to smash their heads with a hammer. Felt bad at first, but after about 30 it got easier.
    Started using decon and never looked back.