JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah it gets warm, like any other gun... I hardly notice it, but I don't go to the range and dump 5 consecutive mags back to back without a pause.

I am not saying they dont warm up, but getting too hot to touch it would require some serous continued shooting.

As for a defect, if the gun has not been cleaned inside the gas port chamber, I suppose it is possible the gas is not making a clean exit.

Anyone can add to Wiki, even me. The M8 was designed for Americans with big hands... the Germans and other agencies never used the M8, it was not a problem for the 100,000 plus P7s in use for over 20 years. In all bluntness, you would have to be pretty fragile for it to be a problem.

"Disadvantages
A slight disadvantage that the P7 has for a service pistol is that its gas system causes the gun to heat rapidly. The heat is especially noticeable after firing several dozen rounds in quick succession. This is generally of little consequence for practical defensive usage, but can be an impediment when practicing. P7s made for the American market feature a plastic heat shield inside the upper portion of the trigger guard. "
HK P7 | Guns Lot

Now you're calling me fragile?
Amazing. Simply amazing.

Guess I'll just invest in some gloves for my girls hands so I can shoot like a man. Sometimes this forum shocks me simply by the statements made by those that wear blinders everyday.

In a quick Google search there are dozens of pages about the firearm and the outstanding majority mention it heating up quickly. If you are writing a book about this firearm and do not mention this then you are misleading people with your machismo attitude. I'm sorry I'm not the man you are.

I shoot the crap out of mine- and without the need for oven mitts so far! It's a PSP German Police return that has been refinished with CeraKote over Parkerizing. To test the heating anecdotes as they apply to my pistol, I purposefully ran eight mags of S&B ball 115gn as fast as I could (reload three, shoot, have a pair of buddies reloading the mags) and noticed warmth but it wasn't that hot.
For WIW, for me, this this is a non-issue.

I disagree with this statement. 50 rounds in 10 minutes... FAIL.... You would have to shoot hundreds of rounds in minutes to make it a noticeable problem. The gun was not designed for that, it was strictly designed as a military and police sidearm.

FAIL? How old are you? I have one, that is my experience. I am not claiming to be an expert, but I at least own one. Oh that's right you have several models of every type ever made, and are a soon to be published author and worldwide recognized expert... Even if any of that was true, it wouldn't change my experience, and surprisingly I don't seem to be alone in this.

The P-7 is a very unique weapon. It was designed as a carry weapon. The previous posters are correct about it getting very hot, very fast. The original P-7 and PSP versions are especially prone to the heat issue. The later M8, M10 and M13 versions were built with a plastic heat shield to give some added protection. But even with the shield, its not a weapon that you want shoot multiple magazines through in a short period of time.

There are two design issues to be aware of:

1) The weapon is gas operated. The gas port is just forward of the chamber. Only fire jacketed rounds. If you fire lead bullets, the gas port can become fouled and the weapon will malfunction. It will become a straight "blow-back" weapon and the resulting recoil will be quite impressive. The weapon is supplied with a reaming tool that is used to clean the gas chamber. That's an important part of the cleaning cycle.

2) The weapon is designed so that the squeeze cockling lever is pressed to make weapon ready to fire, and then pulling the trigger will fire the weapon. But the process also works in reverse. If the weapon is at rest, and the trigger pulled rearward, nothing happens. If the trigger is held back, and the squeeze cocking level pulled, the weapon will then fire. This "feature" of the P-7 has been responsible for a few accidental discharges.

This is a topic that I don't fully understand.... I have 2 P7's and have used them in handgun defense classes as well as IDPA. I don't recall shooting more than 4 mags in quick succession . I have never had the gun become uncomfortably hot ! Yes it's warm if you check for it but never a distraction.
I readily admit that some of these guns must be getting warmer than others . I don't doubt other's reports of excessive heat. I just don't understand why one gun is getting so much hotter than another.....

PS: This discussion would be more helpful if the posters would mention their actual history with the P7 and not just hearsay....
Be safe, mike

I have been read all of the posts and will be getting one this week.
So I will be giving a first hand report.
Charger

I'm looking forward to hearing what your impression is ( especially re: heat). I really like mine but don't understand why some get so warm....

PS: Everyone agrees that you should not shoot lead bullets. Jacketed ( either JHP or FMJ) only. mike

I don't use lead bullets in a semi auto but how dose it work with frangible ammo.

I'm looking forward to hearing what your impression is ( especially re: heat). I really like mine but don't understand why some get so warm....

PS: Everyone agrees that you should not shoot lead bullets. Jacketed ( either JHP or FMJ) only. mike

Mine is a P7 PSP. I've had it about a year. I take it on almost every trip the the range because it is fun to shoot, and I go at least twice a month. I've put close to 1k rounds down the pipe so far. Mine gets hot. YMMV

Excellent information ! :) Your experience doesn't agree with mine and I am very curious as to why... I wonder if the gas piston - cylinder fit is larger on some guns....allowing more gas to escape past the piston and heat the frame ?? When you clean your gun, do you find much residue in the front of the frame ( near the cylinder) ?? Mine's always pretty clean, there......Thanks, mike

How hard is it to find magazines for these guns and what do they typically cost? Is there magazine variability between the different models? (for example, do you need a specific PSP magazine for a PSP gun?)

How hard is it to find magazines for these guns and what do they typically cost? Is there magazine variability between the different models? (for example, do you need a specific PSP magazine for a PSP gun?)

There are a few places that have them on a semi regular basis. The only brand that I have ever seen , were factory made. The last ones that I have seen were $60 each for new. I'd check Top Gun Supply. There is a fellow that has a bunch of these mags for sale and advertises on either Glocktalk or Sigforum in the classified.....

The only differences in mags that I'm aware of , relates to the type of mag release. They are either "heel release" ( P7, PSP) or "side release" ( P7M8)

Hope this helps !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads