JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking a HK P7 cool design with the grip cocking lever on the grip.
They say they are the most accurate pistol due to the barrel dose not move.
And I here they hot due to the piston located above the trigger.
If you have one I would like to hear what you think of them.
If some one has one they are thinking of selling let me know.
Thanks Charger

I should have added The one I was looking at was a p7 for 700.00 with 2 mags no box or tools. Blue finish and condition was very good. Is this a fair price.

They are one of the great designs. Very naturally pointing. They only get hot if you're shooting a bunch without taking a break, just take it easy at the range. It's not a real use concern.

I love mine. I've got a PSP model. It's incredibly accurate, the trigger is phenomenal and I like the unique design. The heat issue is an overstated problem. I haven't shot an IPSC match with my P7, but I've not had it get too hot at the range to shoot. Mine has also been 100% reliable. It's super thin as well, and a joy to hold.

It also shoots brass about 50 feet away roundabout Mach 3 speeds.

They only get hot if you're shooting a bunch without taking a break, just take it easy at the range. It's not a real use concern.

Do you have one? This is simply not true. I have a PSP and after three mags it is to hot to touch. After five you might burn yourself. It was enough of an issue that the newer models had a plastic shroud around that area to protect the trigger finger from heat. I love mine, but I enjoy shooting the P9s more. Vintage HK's are awesome!

I absolutely loved mine as a carry gun. Everything everyone else has pointed out and more. Concealed great, points great, great trigger etc. But the heat issue is absolutely a real issue. Ill have another one eventually though an get it hard chromed.

I too, have a P7 (and like it a lot). I'm intrigued with the reports of guns getting hot. I occasionally shoot IDPA with my P7 and have never found the heat to be an issue. In fact, I never notice it unless I actually pay attention ( then it's just warm).
At the same time, I have no reason to doubt the reports of some folks that say that their guns get hot ! Makes me wonder if there is a subtle difference in guns. Maybe a tighter fit of the piston ? Larger gas port ?? Different lube ??
I've never been at a range when someone else has shot a P7. It would be interesting to shoot the same number of rounds, at the same time and then compare gun temps ..... Kinda like a science experiment :) mike

I was watching Auction Hunters the other day and they found one in a safe they cut open. The finish was in rough shape but they test fired it flawless. The 'buyer' ended up giving them something like $250 for it. I couldn't believe they let it go so cheap.

I used to own one. Got it for CCW (probably one of the safest pistols to carry) but eventually went with something lighter. The heat issue depends a lot on what you're shooting. If you're shooting reloads with titegroup, its going to heat up very fast (as compared to n320.) Different factory rounds will also have different burn temps.

They get pretty hot if you fire off 50rnds in 10 minutes, at least on the frame above the trigger. $700 for one with 2 mags is not bad right now, and they aren't that easy to find so it's hard to bargain shop. The magazines are very expensive. You will eventually want to get a powder scraper for the gas cylinder. I really like mine:

2011-09-11144934.jpg

Thanks for the info the more I read about them the more I want one.
And as for the guns getting hot I never though about the type of power and how hot a load you use.
So I guess i will have to get one and try it for myself.
Charger

They get pretty hot if you fire off 50rnds in 10 minutes, at least on the frame above the trigger.

2011-09-11144934.jpg

I disagree with this statement. 50 rounds in 10 minutes... FAIL.... You would have to shoot hundreds of rounds in minutes to make it a noticeable problem. The gun was not designed for that, it was strictly designed as a military and police sidearm.

Do you have one? This is simply not true. I have a PSP and after three mags it is to hot to touch. After five you might burn yourself. It was enough of an issue that the newer models had a plastic shroud around that area to protect the trigger finger from heat. I love mine, but I enjoy shooting the P9s more. Vintage HK's are awesome!

Yes, I have one, my second one. It has not been an issue for me in my usage.

I have owned dozens of P7 PSPs, M8, M13s and K3s. I have also been working on a book for the P7 in collaboration with HK. Your statement could not be further from the truth an my guess is you have a problem with your gun.

I have owned dozens of P7 PSPs, M8, M13s and K3s. I have also been working on a book for the P7 in collaboration with HK. Your statement could not be further from the truth an my guess is you have a problem with your gun.

Weird. Perhaps their is something wrong with it. So in your research have you found defects? Mine is a German law enforcement return. I have never heard of defects. It does IN FACT heat up quite hot after 3 mags. Come shoot it. I'm not a liar.

And I will add that I'm not the first one to ever mention this so it is in fact a known issue. If it was not then why would HK add a heat shield in later models? I don't understand why you can be such an expert but ignore a known issue...

Heck, it's even mentioned in Wiki....

"The high temperature gases cycling through a tube located below the chamber area and above the trigger made the early versions of this pistol uncomfortable to shoot after the content of two magazines were fired due to heating."

"Between 1982–1983 the P7 received several modifications, mainly to address American market demand and shooter preferences. These modifications resulted in the P7M8 model. ...The trigger guard was equipped with a synthetic heat shield that protects the shooter from excessive heating ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_P7

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads