JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

Since I was a little kid my favorite firearm has been the M1 Thompson. I loved watching the old WWII movies and, having a degree in History, I also like the historical aspect of the Thompson.

I've always wanted one but am not the type of person to buy something "just because"

So I'd like to know your thoughts:

Any experience with one? Do you own one?

For practical purposes I've had my eye on the full size 16.5" barrel. While I really like the aesthetic of the original 10.5" SBR I don't know if I want a rifle that I'm not allowed to transport across State lines without the gov't permission.

This wouldn't be a primary self defense or bug gun; just something that has my historical interest.

Thompson 30 + 1 45ACP Semi-Automatic w/Blue Steel Barrel & A

So what do you think?

Thanks for the idea, @Flopsweat . I have a decent amount of experience and knowledge with wrist braces. I haven't yet considered it for the Thompson since that always seemed like more of an AR/AK accessory to me...but hey if I find one that has good aesthetics it might be an idea

Thanks for the idea, @Flopsweat . I have a decent amount of experience and knowledge with wrist braces. I haven't yet considered it for the Thompson since that always seemed like more of an AR/AK accessory to me...but hey if I find one that has good aesthetics it might be an idea
And if it comes in over 26" OAL, you can put a VFG on it and it becomes a "Firearm" rather than an SBR. If I understand the law correctly. Not advice, mind you, just my opinion.

And if you find a nice brace, paint it to match the forend color.

Hey Folks,

Since I was a little kid my favorite firearm has been the M1 Thompson. I loved watching the old WWII movies and, having a degree in History, I also like the historical aspect of the Thompson.

I've always wanted one but am not the type of person to buy something "just because"

For practical purposes I've had my eye on the full size 16.5" barrel. While I really like the aesthetic of the original 10.5" SBR I don't know if I want a rifle that I'm not allowed to transport across State lines without the gov't permission.

This wouldn't be a primary self defense or bug gun; just something that has my historical interest.

So what do you think?
Saving Private Ryan.
Probably one of the best movies that used it.
TOM HANKS CARING ONE

SPRM1A1Thompson-3.jpg SPR_302.jpg

Forget using drum magazines as they are too heavy for a semi auto. 30rd stick mags are lighter, easier to load and more reliable.
I've got a full auto M1A1 and it's lot of fun, especially for folks who've never handled one before.

My Dad carried one both in WW-2 and Korea and he found it to be very effective when used properly. It simply wasn't designed for shooting much beyond 50 yards. Of course, his was a true SMG. It also turned out to be the first Gun I ever fired. I was 5 or 6 at the time. He told me I handled it VERY well. I have one of the Semi-Automatics which I picked up from a member here. I have not had a lot of chances to fire it but what little had been a kick!!!:):):)

My Dad carried one both in WW-2 and Korea and he found it to be very effective when used properly. It simply wasn't designed for shooting much beyond 50 yards. Of course, his was a true SMG. It also turned out to be the first Gun I ever fired. I was 5 or 6 at the time. He told me I handled it VERY well. I have one of the Semi-Automatics which I picked up from a member here. I have not had a lot of chances to fire it but what little had been a kick!!!:):):)
Ammunition Depot has 500 rounds of 230 grain 45 acp for 154 bucks .
I irorder it last night .

I own one. 1942 produced Savage. It's an amazing piece of history and awesome to fire.

I also had a 16" 1927 a1 for a minute. There was no comparison.

If you can't go the full auto route I would do a SBR. They look ridiculous with a 16" barrel.

Real cool! I'm thankful for your father's service. I'm sure it was an experience growing up with him!

One of my grandfather's was WWII Navy (I inherited his Colt 1911 and it's my prized firearm) and my other Grandpa was a WWII Marine but never discussed the war or what he carried.

I own one. 1942 produced Savage. It's an amazing piece of history and awesome to fire.

I also had a 16" 1927 a1 for a minute. There was no comparison.

If you can't go the full auto route I would do a SBR. They look ridiculous with a 16" barrel.

Neat!

I agree that the 16" looks a bit silly. My thoughts are if I go with the neutered 16" then I can buy the 10.5" barrel down the road and go through the tax stamp process while still having a gun that I can shoot. (following all proper legal processes of course)

Hey Folks,

So what do you think?

I was into Pistol Caliber Carbines decades ago. I almost bought one of these a couple times but could not bring myself to do it. Kahr has a well deserved reputation of VERY spotty QA on these. Way too many get out that have real problems. At the price they sell for there is no excuse for that. It was why I never was brave enough to dump the money on one of these. Went instead with some FAR cheaper versions that did work. If you have not handled one of these full size ones I would find one you can first, Even better if you could find one to rent.

I was into Pistol Caliber Carbines decades ago. I almost bought one of these a couple times but could not bring myself to do it. Kahr has a well deserved reputation of VERY spotty QA on these. Way too many get out that have real problems. At the price they sell for there is no excuse for that. It was why I never was brave enough to dump the money on one of these. Went instead with some FAR cheaper versions that did work. If you have not handled one of these full size ones I would find one you can first, Even better if you could find one to rent.
Saw one ready for a stamp about 15 years ago at The Gun Room for $800... it's probably still there, and a lot more expensive now.
:s0114:

Saw one ready for a stamp about 15 years ago at The Gun Room for $800... it's probably still there, and a lot more expensive now.
:s0114:

Yep! At that price today it would temp me a little. The model that used the drums is around 2K IIRC. That was the one I always wanted. I just never could let go of that much cash after reading about how poorly so many of them came out from the factory. For that kind of cash I would expect excellence. That place makes some nice looking M1 Carbines too and it's the same thing. Expensive and a crap shoot if you get a good one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top