JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question for people that fix Chevys for a living. Would you choose a 98-99 Suburban or a 2000-2006 Suburban for overall reliability and ease of do it yourself repair? Looking for a 1500 to make into an overlander so we won't put a ton of miles on it or daily drive it. Everything in the price range we're looking has 175K+ miles. Any advice what to look for besides full maintenance records?

99 has a 1 year transmission that's only available from a 99.

The 5.3L is known for intake coolant leaks but the 5.7L has its own share of head issues cracking if overheated. Those heads are tough to source.

Check out tahoeyukonforum.com. It covers all generations of Tahoe's/Yukon's/Escalades, including police versions. Lots of info there about common problems and tech/repair info. It's been my go-to along with alldatadiy.com.

The 5.3L is known for intake coolant leaks but the 5.7L has its own share of head issues cracking if overheated. Those heads are tough to source.
I think you might have that backwards. 5.7 heads are everywhere and those intakes have coolant leaks. They also have the spider style injectors that can be problematic. Some 5.3 heads had cracking issues -- "castech"? casting. The LS style intakes are dry.
Both are pretty DIY friendly, IMO. I'd choose an earlier 5.3, personally. The later ones with DOD had lifter issues.

I think you might have that backwards. 5.7 heads are everywhere and those intakes have coolant leaks. They also have the spider style injectors that can be problematic. Some 5.3 heads had cracking issues -- "castech"? casting. The LS style intakes are dry.
Both are pretty DIY friendly, IMO. I'd choose an earlier 5.3, personally. The later ones with DOD had lifter issues.
yeah the early castech heads number 706 have cracking/casting problems

yea. the lifter issue was that the active fuel management lifters in cylinders number 1,4,6 and 7 have a hard plating issue on the roller that will flake off and eat a cam. also, the spring on the lifter can collapse and cause a tick noise/misfire

i am a GM master technician. get the 2000-2006.

if you have any questions feel free to ask me

Thanks, I'll ping you if I need some advice.
From the reliability numbers I can find it looks like 2006 is the best overall year from what we're looking at. I had a 1999 Tahoe ex-Fed government LE that was great but we sold it. Between tinted windows and my CB and ham antennas built into the roof it looked LE, people always slowed down and moved over so I could pass easily :D.

From the reliability numbers I can find it looks like 2006 is the best overall year from what we're looking at. I had a 1999 Tahoe ex-Fed government LE that was great but we sold it. Between tinted windows and my CB and ham antennas built into the roof it looked LE, people always slowed down and moved over so I could pass easily :D.
05-06 are good rigs im not a huge fan of the 4l60e trans but its been around forever and parts/replacement is reasonable. when you go to look at one make sure the engine oil pressure gauge reads atleast 40-45 on startup and doesnt dip below 20 after test driving it.

that vintage of GM has instrument panel cluster gauge issues too. sometimes the speedo will read when youre not even moving

Something like this?

IMG_20160419_122031.jpg

Just like my 99 except mine was maroon and had a bunch of antennas.
2011 approaching 170k. Bought it with 119k on it. I've since added stock rims. That bumper is aftermarket. the original one was a huge Setina with the wrap-arounds. Oddly enough, my wife liked the cop bumper more than I did.
I currently have several antennas for my ham and GMRS radios. It's way toned down from when I first got it. I got tired of that fast though. It was like I was leading a parade everywhere I went, lol.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top