JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They get very little traffic. I'm not a mechanic but I own ATVs that I maintain and have repaired and modified a few times. If you can't find anyone else, I'm happy to offer what limited advice I can.
Alright here goes.... took the right case cover off to replace the clutch last night and found all these rubber chunks and metal shavings in my motor. Then I notice my cam chain guide and tensioner look completely worn out. THEN I notice my cam chain is about to snap. Just wondering if this warrants a complete rebuild or just a new cam chain, guide, tensioner, and a good oil flush? Or maybe just a part out? It's a 2004 trx400ex

20220212_232935.jpg 20220212_232729.jpg 20220212_232537.jpg 20220212_232521.jpg

That looks like a lot of gunk between the chain and the case. If that's just rubber, it seems like a lot, but I don't know what part it would have come from (tensioner? some bushing? don't know anything about the t-rex motor). If it's mostly broken-down oil and clutch material you're probably fine.

Outside that, I'd look for undue wear on all the moving parts you can see from in there - bearings, gears, etc. If there's nothing worn down or scored and nothing wobbles if you push or pull on it, I wouldn't bother with a rebuild. Your cam chain plan sounds solid to me. I think there are some videos on that. There are for my Suzuki, although I haven't needed that yet. 🤞

It would probably be wise to get an opinion from a motorcycle or automotive mechanic. There are several on this forum.

I pass Graham on the I5 a few times a year. If you want, the next time I'm down that way I can bring an endoscope with me, and we can get a look at the piston and cylinder wall, just for peace of mind.

That looks like a lot of gunk between the chain and the case. If that's just rubber, it seems like a lot, but I don't know what part it would have come from (tensioner? some bushing? don't know anything about the t-rex motor). If it's mostly broken-down oil and clutch material you're probably fine.

Outside that, I'd look for undue wear on all the moving parts you can see from in there - bearings, gears, etc. If there's nothing worn down or scored and nothing wobbles if you push or pull on it, I wouldn't bother with a rebuild. Your cam chain plan sounds solid to me. I think there are some videos on that. There are for my Suzuki, although I haven't needed that yet. 🤞

It would probably be wise to get an opinion from a motorcycle or automotive mechanic. There are several on this forum.

I pass Graham on the I5 a few times a year. If you want, the next time I'm down that way I can bring an endoscope with me, and we can get a look at the piston and cylinder wall, just for peace of mind.
That would cool! Thanks man!

I would just replace the timing chain and tensioner(s) as needed, sounds like it got old and worn out! No experience with this setup but sounds like the Yamaha YF 426 I had a few years ago, needing the same!

So this guy on my street I remember said he used to race quads back in the day. He came to look and agreed that replacing the chain, guide, and tensioner should be fine. He said everything else (that we can see) looks fine. PHEW!

Just thought I'd update you guys. It took forever because I have not much free time and I'm not a mechanic but I finally got this thing buttoned up today and she runs great. Its Super satisfying to fix something with your own hands. Especially when it's not your area of expertise !

That will be a fun quad to run. TRX is a great all-around bike. Plenty of power and more maneuverable than the big 700's. I used to outrun my buddy's Raptor on really tight trails with a 400. And he's a better rider than I so you know it was the bike. :D

You're probably about an hour from Tahuya ORV park, which is one of the best in the country. You should check it out. Bring a map though because the place is huge.

That will be a fun quad to run. TRX is a great all-around bike. Plenty of power and more maneuverable than the big 700's. I used to outrun my buddy's Raptor on really tight trails with a 400. And he's a better rider than I so you know it was the bike. :D

You're probably about an hour from Tahuya ORV park, which is one of the best in the country. You should check it out. Bring a map though because the place is huge.
Funny you mention raptors..... needed something to ride while the trx was down n out

20220513_121829.jpg

I was pretty surprised by the difference in power. Accidentally popped a wheelie the first time riding it. Luckily I was holding on like it was a 44 magnum!
My first ride of the day, if I haven't ridden in a while, I have a death grip on the handlebars. My LTZ-400's will both wheelie off the line and a little at the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts without pulling up on the bars, but a Raptor will wheelie about any time just from mashing the throttle.

My first ride of the day, if I haven't ridden in a while, I have a death grip on the handlebars. My LTZ-400's will both wheelie off the line and a little at the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts without pulling up on the bars, but a Raptor will wheelie about any time just from mashing the throttle.
It's got so much effing torque in 1-3. Let me know next time you head out to Tahuya and I'll see if I can meet you!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top