JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been putting my survival bags together and am now several thousand dollars into them. I need optics for my AR15 and want the best, but it will be a little while before I renew my budget and want to train with the AR in the mean time. Does anyone have genuine recommendations for temporary inexpensive optics (up to about $150)? Should I get a close up holosight, or a longer range 3-9x42 scope? I already have a laser sight. Will that be good enough in close range?

Please only comment if you have an "experienced" recommendation. "I heard that X optics..." or "just save until you get the best" comments really do not help. If you have used it and liked/or didn't like it, then your comment would greatly help me. If you have not used it, then please pass on this post. Thank you!

I use a Vortex Strikefire red dot and really like it. $150 new at most places and they are a good optic similar to an aimpoint in design. They also have an optional 2x magnification that screws on. I feel that for a survival bag gun I wont be shooting more than 150-200yds tops since I feel anything past that with an AR is more than likely a waste of ammo. The red dot will be fine at that distance.

I keep trying different things. I'm not into $1,000 optics anyway.

Right now I have a Bushnell Banner shotgun scope on one of my AR-15s. A shotgun scope has more eye relief than a rifle scope. You'll see guys buying offset scope mounts for AR's because for some reason they seem to set the scope back farther than a typical hunting rifle does. ?? The shotgun scope fixes that because it already has the added eye relief.

Shotgun scopes are also tough because the guns kick hard.

Here's similar to what I tossed on one day and haven't seen fit to take it off.

Link

Shotgun scopes work. Go with a true 1x on the low end. I tried a Simmons
Pro-Diamond 1.5x4 and could NOT get used to the 1.5 for heads-up
both eyes open close range work. Watch it---lots of "1x" scopes are
actually 1.1-1.4 power.

Weaver V3. 1x-3x Nice little scope, right around $150. 3x is a little
light for a top end, but good to 300 yds +. I've got one on a Cav arms
lower/16" pencil barrel upper 6 lb gun. Using Weaver extra high aluminum rings.

Millett DMS-1. Kind of a knock-off of the Meopta Meostar K-dot. Not
as clear as the Meopta, but around $500 cheaper. Watch the sales, you
can get it for under $200. I've got one on a 18" HBAR AR, mounted
in a Larue SPR-E mount.

Shotgun scopes work. Go with a true 1x on the low end. I tried a Simmons
Pro-Diamond 1.5x4 and could NOT get used to the 1.5 for heads-up
both eyes open close range work. Watch it---lots of "1x" scopes are
actually 1.1-1.4 power.

-snip-

Just curious - not arguing at all. I've been choosing 2x7 for hunting for many years. I have a couple of good Leopolds. The 2x never bothered me at all.

Is there some difference in the shotgun scope that make 1x more important?

(I'm an experienced hunter and a good shot, but I'm not an optics expert by any means.)

Thanks. :)

Just curious - not arguing at all. I've been choosing 2x7 for hunting for many years. I have a couple of good Leopolds. The 2x never bothered me at all.

Is there some difference in the shotgun scope that make 1x more important?

(I'm an experienced hunter and a good shot, but I'm not an optics expert by any means.)

Thanks. :)

I compete (poorly) in "3 gun" and "multi-gun" with my AR's. Targets are from
muzzle to 300+ ranges. Against the clock, fast transitions from target
to target, several rounds per second on the close stuff. A true 1x at the low end is a plus. Basically with both eyes open the reticle or dot appears superimposed on the target. If the scope has any magnification, then the images from each eye appear at different sizes. Some people have no problem with two slightly different sized images---I'm not one of them. Drives me nuts!

If you are doing deliberate aiming at a target, then 1.5x or 2.0x or whatever
isnt a problem.

I compete (poorly) in "3 gun" and "multi-gun" with my AR's. Targets are from
muzzle to 300+ ranges. Against the clock, fast transitions from target
to target, several rounds per second on the close stuff. A true 1x at the low end is a plus. Basically with both eyes open the reticle or dot appears superimposed on the target. If the scope has any magnification, then the images from each eye appear at different sizes. Some people have no problem with two slightly different sized images---I'm not one of them. Drives me nuts!

If you are doing deliberate aiming at a target, then 1.5x or 2.0x or whatever
isnt a problem.

:s0155:

I like to watch Gunbroker, for good deals. I've gotten a Leupold 4x33 for $150 a couple times, or a VX2 1-3x20, recently for $150. A used Leupold, fixed 2.5 power would be nice too. I like those 3 scopes on my ARs. Just enough magnification, to get you out to 300yds, but not so much magnification, that you are looking down a tunnel.

I've never had any luck with the cheap red dots like BSA. They suck.
I'ld rather save my $40 towards a good used leupold.

Thanks for all of your help. I just ordered the Millett DMS 1-4x24 tactical for $211.95 shipped from SWFA.com. I like the idea of a 1x option.

Thats not a bad choice for a starter you may like it so much you may not want to jump into that $1000 bracket for optics

In my quest for the perfert (well in my book) ar i spent the big bucks for a aimpoint and the magnifier and granted in a battle these would be the ones to own however did i really need to spend so much i look back and ask my self what was i thinking? grated they were the coolest thing since sliced bread and the quality is beyond measure but the magnifier cost over $500 for a darn magnifer then another $200 for a mount granted its built like a tank and compared to the clones they don't even compare (but the clones can do the job fine) its kind of insane. but i can show off in front of all my friends "hey look what this can do"

the reason i went with the magnifer is that i can flip it to the side and go back to a true 1x red dot quicker than turning a dial on a scope but they just came out with new unit that attaches to the scope power adjuster that has makes power changes faster i should see if i can find it again it would make for a good group buy item.

But thats a good starter there are some complaints about the fish eye and such but that just from guys who like to complain

you made a good choice

hey i have this scope mount posted in the classifieds in case you need one you can quickly remove to go back to irons or swictch to other optics

hey i have this scope mount posted in the classifieds in case you need one you can quickly remove to go back to irons or swictch to other optics

That's what I meant earlier when I mentioned an offset mount. It moves the scope forward. I still haven't figured out why an AR almost needs that with a normal scope but doesn't with a shotgun scope. I have what some call a "see through" mount. If I lower my eyes, I can see my iron sights under the scope through the holes. Here's a couple of pics of el cheapos I grapped off the web (ebay) for examples of the idea.

Obviously they are junk compared to your good mount there.

mount66666.jpg

scoperingscopy.jpg

just wanted to add in regards to the millet

at 1x it is not like a true red dot like a aimpoint ect. it still acts like a scope meaning you still have to position your head correctly i have not had any other experience with 1x4s to note if this is common with all 1x4s

if you want to avoid this you can mount a seperate red do to your scope but if your doing this you might as well get a 3x9x40 for more magnification and then a red dot like a burris fastfire for CQB or go with a aimpoint or eotech type red dot and a 3x or 4x magnifier and a quick flip mount.

Wow. I just got off the phone with my grown son. He did the National Guard service and loved it, but he was out just before Iraq so he never saw battle.

However, I taught him to shoot at age 7 and he qualified expert with both rifle and pistol in the NG. He has a lot of opinions about the AR-15 because it's "sort of" a semi auto M-16. We just spent a lot of time talking guns.

He said that out to 500 yards (some of the targets he had to hit to qualify) he prefers the iron sights! He "guaranteed me" that he could hit a man in the head at 500 yards with iron sights with an M-16 in semi mode. He's not a braggart or loud mouth and I believe him. His rifle was sighted dead center at 250 yards and dropped 2 meters at 500 yards, according to him.

(As an aside, he said that of his group of 100 which did range time together in Basic, 3 of them qualified expert with a rifle and got the medal. He, from Medford, and two other guys both from Roseburg! This is with guys from all over the country. That's pretty cool. :s0155:)

He said the range had pop-up targets, some that moved sideways. Some were friendlies - no shoot, and all at varying distances from 25 to 500 yards. He and the 2 guys from Roseburg hit 40 out of 40 with iron sights.

He said he would want a red dot scope for poor lighting conditions and otherwise he's faster with iron sights swinging rapidly from target to target. He said he'd for sure want a flip over mount.

So there, for what it's worth. ??

I'm really good with irons.... if i can see the the target problem is my old eyes arn't what they used to be :s0114:

heyabout those cheapos as long as they hold a zero why not, save the cash for something else like ammo

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top