JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought a really nice 1999 Dodge 24v Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4, and as it is my first diesel rig I am obsessing over learning everything I can about them. I was wondering if any NWFA members have a 12 or 24v from these years, and what they may think about them.

I called Cummins on my engine block as there were supposedly some with casting defects called "#53 blocks" during these years (98-01). Cummins ran my engine serial number and verified that mine was not from the facility or the years that these problems occurred. They also said the percentage of failures was tiny (Approx. 2% or less than were manufactured) compared to the number that run with never having an issue. I also asked about what is known as "KDP" or killer dowel pin, which is an alignment pin on the front of the engine (behind timing cover) used during assembly that can work its way free and fall into gears causing major engine failure. While the problem is more common in 12v engines, the early 24v also had this pin. My truck apparently has an updated cover and pin that does not have this issue, so another bullet "Dodged"! I have also installed a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the lift pumps pressure into the injector pump, as this was another common part failure on these engines. Luckily, my pressure is within good operating range, so no expensive parts bill for me!

I lucked out finding a truck with low miles (140,000), and has a brand new auto tranny still under warranty with top of the line upgrades, plus alot of other newly replaced stuff. Apparently these rigs are in a high demand right now, as I found during my search. I bought from an elderly couple, but all of the many dealerships I went to said they had a huge waiting list (some were 20-50 people long!)for this type of rig, and would sell them before they ever even showed up on the lot. Pretty amazing.

So, anybody own one of these or have a story about them? Thanks!

We have a 2001, 5sp, 4x4, club cab short box. This is our 2nd Cummins 4x4.
The thing is a beast. Great power, great mileage considering it weighs in around 7k lbs. 135k miles, the lift pump was replaced under warranty @95k, as it took the injection pump out with it. (whew) New fuel filter every 2 oil changes, restriction in the lift system will cost you an injection pump.

If you don't have a LARGE trans cooler for your auto, get one. It's pretty cramped behind the grill, ours has the engine oil cooler in there too. There is already an IC and AC condenser in there as well. But it will extend the life of the auto trans by a bunch. Our last one was an auto and we NEVER had trouble with it in over 100k. Put the biggest one you can fit in there.

We get nearly 23MPG on the Hwy @70MPH on cruise.
Towing our 24' offshore boat back from cali, it got 18mpg. Big boat with lots of wind resistance and a 7K weight ticket. The key to good mileage when you're towing something with large frontal area is stay at 60 or below. Any speed above that spools the turbo and the heat goes up as the MPG goes down. I came up over siskiyou summit at 60 in 4th gear and had to watch my speed, as I could have done 70 no problem.

Keep the tires rotated, they last MUCH longer. We got 52,000 out of the last set of Toyos from Schwab.
Stay on top of the front end parts, with little wear they will cause wander, especially if you end up on a reverse crowned road. Find a good front end guy that knows these if yours is a 4x4.
Brakes are great too, considering the weight. Good shocks help the front end issues and tire wear too we are using KYBs from CQ.
Look out for fuel that is priced at "too good to be true." Bad fuel co$t$ aren't worth it.
Oh, and don't spill soda in the doorlock/window switches,... :eek:

Good luck and welcome to the club!

I have a tip; On the drivers side battery there is two small wires that hook up to pos and neg bolts. Keep these clean and free of corrosion, has something to do with accelerator pedal position sensor, I think. Anyway cleaned mine up and the low speed response at START UP changed back to what is expcted. Good Luck.
Good mechanic in McMinnville for aftermarket lift pumps and performance parts installation www.parkerdieselperformance.com
Good forum to get info www.cumminsforum.com
Another for apps part www.dodgecumminsapps.com

We have a 2001, 5sp, 4x4, club cab short box. This is our 2nd Cummins 4x4.
The thing is a beast. Great power, great mileage considering it weighs in around 7k lbs. 135k miles, the lift pump was replaced under warranty @95k, as it took the injection pump out with it. (whew) New fuel filter every 2 oil changes, restriction in the lift system will cost you an injection pump.

If you don't have a LARGE trans cooler for your auto, get one. It's pretty cramped behind the grill, ours has the engine oil cooler in there too. There is already an IC and AC condenser in there as well. But it will extend the life of the auto trans by a bunch. Our last one was an auto and we NEVER had trouble with it in over 100k. Put the biggest one you can fit in there.

We get nearly 23MPG on the Hwy @70MPH on cruise.
Towing our 24' offshore boat back from cali, it got 18mpg. Big boat with lots of wind resistance and a 7K weight ticket. The key to good mileage when you're towing something with large frontal area is stay at 60 or below. Any speed above that spools the turbo and the heat goes up as the MPG goes down. I came up over siskiyou summit at 60 in 4th gear and had to watch my speed, as I could have done 70 no problem.

Keep the tires rotated, they last MUCH longer. We got 52,000 out of the last set of Toyos from Schwab.
Stay on top of the front end parts, with little wear they will cause wander, especially if you end up on a reverse crowned road. Find a good front end guy that knows these if yours is a 4x4.
Brakes are great too, considering the weight. Good shocks help the front end issues and tire wear too we are using KYBs from CQ.
Look out for fuel that is priced at "too good to be true." Bad fuel co$t$ aren't worth it.
Oh, and don't spill soda in the doorlock/window switches,... :eek:

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Thanks Jamie6.5! Yeah, mine is the 4x4 and I already replaced the tie rods/ ends, and still have a little play in the steering. Not bad at all now, but I will likely do the gear box anyways here sometime soon. Got a new set of Toyo Open Country's, and the ball joints had just been done recently with receipts. Thanks for all the good info, i really appreciate it! -tree

I have a tip; On the drivers side battery there is two small wires that hook up to pos and neg bolts. Keep these clean and free of corrosion, has something to do with accelerator pedal position sensor, I think. Anyway cleaned mine up and the low speed response at START UP changed back to what is expcted. Good Luck.
Good mechanic in McMinnville for aftermarket lift pumps and performance parts installation www.parkerdieselperformance.com
Good forum to get info www.cumminsforum.com
Another for apps part www.dodgecumminsapps.com

Interesting! I hadnt heard of this yet, I'll be looking at this on the truck today. No issues with the pedal or low speed response, but very good to know. Thanks for the links also, and I did already sign up with Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (cumminsforum.com). Thanks again! -tree

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top