JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think three of us should get tags this year. We each have 16 or 17 points IIRC. I've never hunted Antelope and am wondering which rifle to use. Remington KS 270 or should I use an AR with a heavy bullet?

.270 Winchester is a excellent round for antelope...and many other things as well.
My last antelope was taken with a .54 round ball propelled by black powder...so one could say that I have liking for older firearms and or cartridges.

A heavy .223 / 5.56 should also work fine.
( Note I have not hunted antelope with this cartridge )

I would suggest thinking about the terrain and method in which you are to hunt in....Which rifle is better suited for that....?
Andy

Took the only one I've ever hunted with a 30-06. It was a longer shot at 300ish yards. Hit lung, bullet went straight through. He took 3-4 steps and fell.

Anytime I tried to get closer to one that day it spooked them.

I have 16 points as well but am not sure that will be enough.

The one antelope I shot was with a .25-06 and it did the job. I think a .270 would also be an excellent choice. Personally, I would shy away from .223. Antelope may not be the toughest animal, but the terrain and lack of cover can often lead to longer shots.

A few years ago I took an antelope with my 6.5 Grendel AR15. 123 grain Hornady SST. .270 would be my next choice. The .270 is a fantastic all around caliber that will just about take down anything around here.

Attach9769_20180813_142919.jpg

How far can you shoot that 270? I haven't accrued enough point for an antelope hunt, but friends who have gone in the last few years were looking at longer shots, like closer to 500 yards.

Waiting 16-17 years for a hunt, I wouldn't want to be limited by the rifle. I don't know that a .223 with a heavy bullet would be decent at that range either.

.270 Winchester is a excellent round for antelope...and many other things as well.
My last antelope was taken with a .54 round ball propelled by black powder...so one could say that I have liking for older firearms and or cartridges.

A heavy .223 / 5.56 should also work fine.
( Note I have not hunted antelope with this cartridge )

I would suggest thinking about the terrain and method in which you are to hunt in....Which rifle is better suited for that....?
Andy
Thanks Andy

57 years of chasin' 'em. Over a hundred on the ground, with everything from bow and arrow to .45-70.

If ever there was a cartridge born and bred for Pronghorn it'd be the .25-06 (Or a twenty seven caliber of the same parentage).

Your .270 will make you proud, and it serves as my "business rifle" for that job: a contender for the title, "Old Reliable".

Anyone claiming a .270 Winchester would be a "limiting" factor, has never hunted Pronghorn, and probably never hunted anything with a .270.
Anyone claiming "long shots" (500yds or so) are the norm for this species is a piss-poor goat hunter. (Even if true, the .270 can shine in that arena if the hunter has learned his gun.)

1650480486537.jpeg
"Of all kinds of hunting, the chase of the Antelope is pre-eminently that requiring skill in the use of the rifle."
Theodore Roosevelt

Last Edited:
But wait! there's more!

12yo daughter of my best goat hunting buddy took her first five Pronghorns with a Mini-Mauser .223. 55gr Ballistic Tip.
Longest shot was her first: 275yds.
Dumped a couple nice Muley bucks with that rifle too.

So, there you have it.

The one in my avatar was taken at a bit over 300 yards with a .243 Win packing a hand load with a Speer 90 gr Deep Curl bullet. I would use the .270 Win. with a 130 gr bullet before considering a heavy bullet in 5.56 AR.

57 years of chasin' 'em. Over a hundred on the ground, with everything from bow and arrow to .45-70.

If ever there was a cartridge born and bred for Pronghorn it'd be the .25-06 (Or a twenty seven caliber of the same parentage).

Your .270 will make you proud, and it serves as my "business rifle" for that job: a contender for the title, "Old Reliable".

Anyone claiming a .270 Winchester would be a "limiting" factor, has never hunted Pronghorn, and probably never hunted anything with a .270.
Anyone claiming "long shots" (500yds or so) are the norm for this species is a piss-poor goat hunter. (Even if true, the .270 can shine in that arena if the hunter has learned his gun.)

View attachment 1181629
"Of all kinds of hunting, the chase of the Antelope is pre-eminently that requiring skill in the use of the rifle."
Theodore Roosevelt
where the heck are you hunting goats to have a hundred on the ground? can't seem to get a tag here in Oregon.

View attachment 1181629
Theodore Roosevelt
270 is a great choice! I still shoot a 270 for elk, people in my party make fun of me and say I need the almighty 30 nosler. This year the guy with the 30 nosler hit and lost a bull. Still yet to loose one with the ol trusty 270

The one in my avatar was taken at a bit over 300 yards with a .243 Win packing a hand load with a Speer 90 gr Deep Curl bullet. I would use the .270 Win. with a 130 gr bullet before considering a heavy bullet in 5.56 AR.
I shoot TTSX 130's in the 270. That bullet could ruin a lot of meat if wasn't properly placed.

I went 9 years after getting two tags in a row in the early 00's. For the two in a row I picked a newly created unit and saw not one antelope or sign thereof. A waste of two tags.

I think three of us should get tags this year. We each have 16 or 17 points IIRC. I've never hunted Antelope and am wondering which rifle to use. Remington KS 270 or should I use an AR with a heavy bullet?
I would go with the 270.
if your new to antelope hunting I would spend some range time out to at least 300 yards, or longer.
Im not the most experienced antelope hunter, but the two tags Ive drawn took me several days to get within 300yds of them to even think of getting a shot off.

What unit are you applying for?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads