JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry, guys, but I'm chasing myself around in circles trying to make a decision. Looking for a budget long(er) range scope, mostly out to 300 yards, occasionally longer but probably rarely in excess of 500 yards, targets only, no hunting. Rifle is a Savage 12FV in .223, and I have a hard budget of $300 for the scope. I have no strong preference either way, but do want reticle and turrets to match up, so MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL.

That said, I'm looking hard at the new Bushnell Trophy Xtreme 6-24X50, mostly just for the mag range. But it does have a proprietary reticle, something I think I want to avoid. Other scopes I'm considering are the PA 4-14 FFP and the SWFA SS fixed power series. I've only used one FFP scope and didn't like it much, the reticle changing size with power was really off-putting. I've used and like fixed power scopes in the past, but am struggling with what power to get. At almost 60, my eyes aren't what they once were, so a fixed 10X feels a little light for my needs. I know 20X is too much, but I'm debating between the 12X and the 16X.

Weight isn't an issue, like I said, bench gun only. I'm happy to trade bells and whistles for better glass, one of the reasons I'm looking at the SS's is the theory that fixed power means better glass and mechanics at the same price as a variable. The reviews on the SS scopes seem to back that up, but it's still just a theory. Not overly concerned with durability, the .223 isn't exactly a hammer.

So are there other suggestions in my budget that I've missed? And no, waiting until I can afford better glass isn't an option, so suggesting I do so won't be helpful. Later, and thanks.

Dave

I am trying to decide this for myself. I got an AR15 from a member a year ago last November. I had it setup with a 1-6X scope and sights but I am going to go with a dedicated scope. I have been looking for a scope under 16X with a AO via a side mounted turret on the scope. I have been considering the Vortex Diamond Back in 4-12. I have time to make this decision but this discussion should help.

I think the SWFA SS fixed 10 would work for you. I had one and it was OK. Did everything I needed it to do. If you're bench rest style shooting for groups you might want a little more magnification but I found 10 power to work fine for everything out to 500 yards.

Also, might want to look at Vortex Diamondback line. They have a 3-12 that sells for around $329; might be able to get it for less with some Christmas sales. I'm a big fan of the higher end Vortex scopes, no experience with the Diamondbacks though. I had issues with a Crossfire, but it was a cheap scope and didn't expect too much from it anyways. Vortex warranty is hard to beat.

Athlon offers a good value too. I have the top end cronus but am not familiar with what they have at around $300. They all get great reviews. I would also look at Burris.

Take a look at the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18. For a bench only scope I've tried the SWFA SS 16, it's pretty
good glass for the money. It's currently sitting on the shelf--replaced by a Vortex Viper PST 4-16.

Appreciate all the responses, guys. Been doing more research and I think I'm zeroing in (yes, pun intended) on my requirements. They are, in no particular order, as follows:

30 mm tube
Target/tactical turret, no caps
Target/tactical reticle, MIL or MOA, no proprietary BDC
And, of course, my $300 budget.

This eliminates a lot of otherwise good suggestions, and that includes a couple that I was looking at pretty hard. Still debating between fixed and variable, finding a second variable that fits my list hasn't helped :rolleyes:. That would be the Falcon 4-18x44. It's available in both FFP & SFP, MIL/MIL & MOA/MOA, and has pretty good, though limited, reviews. I like the mag range, as well as some other features. Downside, it's another Chinese scope, and I strongly suspect he useable max power will be around 15X. So definitely a crap shoot if I go for it. The other two contenders have good track records, but between the PA and the SS, the latter wins due to my dislike of FFP. So can someone please talk me into/out of the Falcon, please o_O? Later, and thanks again.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads