JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have the LC9, LC9s Pro, XDS 3.3 in 9 and 45, Colt XPS, Kahr CW380 two LCP's.

I love the Colt, but some might not like the 'Cocked and Locked' Single action.

The LC9s Pro has a very good trigger, easy to see or feel loaded chamber indicator, no external safety, no magazine disconnect

Even purse carry unless it is a dedicated concealed carry purse should have a holster. Something will get in that trigger guard.

As always, I gotta toss out the CPX by sccy.

Not sure how well it fits small hands but it's got a small frame. If she doesn't like it, you have a new truck/bob bag gun.

I know we've had these discussions before, but I am ready to ask my own question of the community. Mrs. Etrain16 had let her CHL lapse a few years back, but recent events have spurred an interest in not only getting that license renewed, but getting a carry gun that she can be comfortable with. Even though she got her CHL 20 years ago along with me, she's never actually carried.

I'll be working with her to share my training and to try and help her determine which gun and which type of carry rig will work for her.

Now, thanks to the special snowflakes like Prozanski, I can't easily do what I could before - buy a used gun, try it out and move it on if it's not the right one. That means making a purchase now will be more difficult than it once was, and I want a bit more reasonable certainty of what I buy beforehand.

I know I can go to certain ranges and rent guns, but that gets expensive rather quickly. And since I've not owned any really compact pistols in the .380 or 9mm range, I don't have much experience to base this decision on. Probably my biggest concern is for a small pistol that is easy to manipulate - especially for racking the slide. Like some women, her hands are necessarily as strong as some others, so having a slide that's easy to manipulate will be important. She can likely deal with the recoil, she's not afraid to fire a gun and does so at the range with me. I'm leaning a bit toward a Glock 43 because I know the slide should be easy to grab, say over a Ruger LC9, for example, but maybe I'm off there.

So, I would like some feedback, especially from the women - either women on the forum or the wives of those here that would care to weigh in. What are your favorite subcompact pistols? If so, why? Are they easy to manipulate if you have to clear a jam or reload? She's not interested in a revolver, she would prefer to go semi auto pistol. Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to this type of gun in the past, so I'm hoping for a little education from the good folks at NWFA :)
It depends on the mental state or feeling your wife has about guns and her size. First let me say that I'm 5'2" slim. Almost every gun felt too big on my person, until they created the Ruger LCP .380. I don't even feel it in my pocket. Now my wife is small and gentle, so the only gun she would carry has to be very small. So, that gun is the North American tiny .22 magnum revolver. She might even carry the NAA tiny .22 LR revolver, tiny in my small hands. The point is, it's not always about killing. Even the tiny .22LR, at close range would save her life.
Here's a story: Two young guys kick in the door of a 5'9" eightly year old man's house. The knock him to the ground and start kicking him. He pulls out of his pocket a tiny NAA lr. revolver and peppers them. They screamed like the devil got them, and ran away. Basically whatever a female is comfortable is the one she should carry.

My wife carried a Glock 19 for many years, but recently switched over to a 9mm Shield. She liked the looks and feel of it, and since I wanted to buy another piece, she got to get one as well.

We sent it out for some cerakote work (Tiffany Blue and Hard Chrome by Chad at Killer Coatings), because if my girl is happy, I'm happy.

image.jpeg

My wife likes the Taurus 24/7 compact in .45 It's about the right size for her hands and she can rack the slide easy enough. She didn't like the glock variants (sadly) but loves my Kimber pro carry in .45 For deep concealed carry she and I both carry Bursa PPK clones in 9MM. not a very bad way to go!

Well at least 'tis the season.. to wear an untucked and unbuttoned insulated flannel shirt.. and a $18 garrison belt sporting yer gat of choice. Don't short shrift a smooth 3" Smith K-frame.
th?&id=OIP.Mfabc511938a8501e8b2dd590bd099854H0&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

I have a Alien Gear IWB already, for the XD 45 mod 2, I ordered. I have been carrying a XD-S 45, in a RKBA pocket holster, but it is 5+1 for capacity and a seven shot extended magazine in the back pocket, but 9+1 of 45 with a ten round backup sound like more. I have tried my Glock 29 in the same position. I'll see if I like this better.
I have been carrying my 327 Federal in my winter coat pocket and like that pretty good. I also like the idea of a revolver for a backup better than a Semi auto. Not to say revolvers never have a problem, but its a lot more rare.

Loving my new Ruger LC9. So small and light that I almost forget I've got it on me.
You know I thought my new LC9s Pro had the same loaded chamber indicator that my hammer version LC9 has. No it doesn't. It does have a inspection hole that clearly shows the brass though. Both are good guns but I do like the newer version better.

You know I thought my new LC9s Pro had the same loaded chamber indicator that my hammer version LC9 has. No it doesn't. It does have a inspection hole that clearly shows the brass though. Both are good guns but I do like the newer version better.
In my book the loaded chamber indicator is a bad idea. I don't want to start depending on it and lose the habit of physically opening the action to inspect for a round. Besides, all guns are always loaded.:rolleyes:

In my book the loaded chamber indicator is a bad idea. I don't want to start depending on it and lose the habit of physically opening the action to inspect for a round. Besides, all guns are always loaded.:rolleyes:
Easy to feel it in the dark, I keep most guns loaded but it's nice to be sure without a chamber check.

The Glock 19 in the ultimate CCW pistol and is always my recommendation man or woman.

That said if you insist a single stack is the way to go I'd say an S&W Shield is a better choice than a Glock 43 due to the longer grip which will provide better control.

On a side note NSW is replacing their Sigs with Glock 19

Double Plus good on The Shield, I carried it all summer at the 12 position in shorts and a T shirt and no one noticed. In fact I only notice when it is not there.

Add to that it is the easiest to shoot compact I have owned ( PF9, G27,G26) the slide is easy to rack and the trigger is crisp. It does have a goofy reset, but you wont notice it if you have to use it.

Outside of summer I carry the G 19, unless I have to go to Seattle, then I carry heavy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top