JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know we've had these discussions before, but I am ready to ask my own question of the community. Mrs. Etrain16 had let her CHL lapse a few years back, but recent events have spurred an interest in not only getting that license renewed, but getting a carry gun that she can be comfortable with. Even though she got her CHL 20 years ago along with me, she's never actually carried.

I'll be working with her to share my training and to try and help her determine which gun and which type of carry rig will work for her.

Now, thanks to the special snowflakes like Prozanski, I can't easily do what I could before - buy a used gun, try it out and move it on if it's not the right one. That means making a purchase now will be more difficult than it once was, and I want a bit more reasonable certainty of what I buy beforehand.

I know I can go to certain ranges and rent guns, but that gets expensive rather quickly. And since I've not owned any really compact pistols in the .380 or 9mm range, I don't have much experience to base this decision on. Probably my biggest concern is for a small pistol that is easy to manipulate - especially for racking the slide. Like some women, her hands are necessarily as strong as some others, so having a slide that's easy to manipulate will be important. She can likely deal with the recoil, she's not afraid to fire a gun and does so at the range with me. I'm leaning a bit toward a Glock 43 because I know the slide should be easy to grab, say over a Ruger LC9, for example, but maybe I'm off there.

So, I would like some feedback, especially from the women - either women on the forum or the wives of those here that would care to weigh in. What are your favorite subcompact pistols? If so, why? Are they easy to manipulate if you have to clear a jam or reload? She's not interested in a revolver, she would prefer to go semi auto pistol. Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to this type of gun in the past, so I'm hoping for a little education from the good folks at NWFA :)

My wife carries a Glock 19 in her CC purse (she just can't get used to an IWB holster) and has no trouble with the slide. She also borrows my Kahr CW9 from time to time, and she can manipulate the slide on it with no difficulty at all. The Glock 42/43 would probably be a good size, or Kahr CW9 / CT380. The Kahr trigger takes a bit of getting used to but it is very smooth and with a little practice they are very accurate. Also, they are very safe to carry, since it takes a good bit of movement of the trigger to release the striker. It is great to hear that she is interested in carrying, it took my wife a while to warm up to the idea (and find a stylish enough CC handbag) but now she is good with it. I've been having her practice drawing (unloaded and cleared multiple times) from different positions and she has been getting progressively better and faster. It's an awesome feeling to have a mate that likes firearms and holds an interest in being able to defend themselves and others if the need should ever arise.

My wife carries a Glock 19 in her CC purse (she just can't get used to an IWB holster) and has no trouble with the slide. She also borrows my Kahr CW9 from time to time, and she can manipulate the slide on it with no difficulty at all. The Glock 42/43 would probably be a good size, or Kahr CW9 / CT380. The Kahr trigger takes a bit of getting used to but it is very smooth and with a little practice they are very accurate. Also, they are very safe to carry, since it takes a good bit of movement of the trigger to release the striker. It is great to hear that she is interested in carrying, it took my wife a while to warm up to the idea (and find a stylish enough CC handbag) but now she is good with it. I've been having her practice drawing (unloaded and cleared multiple times) from different positions and she has been getting progressively better and faster. It's an awesome feeling to have a mate that likes firearms and holds an interest in being able to defend themselves and others if the need should ever arise.

Thanks for the input. I am fortunate in that she has been pro-gun as long as I've known her. She is also pro-carry, she just hasn't been inclined to carry herself, at least until now. I'm glad to see it as she spends more time out and about with our daughter during the day, so it will be comforting, once we've worked on some training, to know she's in a position to provide some added protection for them both.

The G19 may be a bit large, just due to weight and overall size for her. I think a single stack will be a better choice. But, that said, we could find ourselves back to something like a 19. She does like my M&P9c and can shoot it well.

I recently bought a Glock 43 for my wife, and I must say she loves it. She's has damage to the tendons in her right thumb and had trouble with the width of my G 27 grip. With the 43, she can hold it and shoot it well. She liked the feel and racking action of it better than the other options they had at the shop (M&P and I can't remember which other ones). Bottom line, she's comfortable enough with it to use it if and when she had to.

I recently bought a Glock 43 for my wife, and I must say she loves it. She's has damage to the tendons in her right thumb and had trouble with the width of my G 27 grip. With the 43, she can hold it and shoot it well. She liked the feel and racking action of it better than the other options they had at the shop (M&P and I can't remember which other ones). Bottom line, she's comfortable enough with it to use it if and when she had to.

Good to know, thanks!

Well my gal after packing a S&W 6906 for 10yrs changed to a SIG 938.

But after she shot my 9mm Springfield EMP I need to hide it from her.

IMAG1144.jpg

My 5' tall daughter started with Glock 33 kinda big now cc purse carries it. On person she tried a Bodyguard 380 liked the size but had a terrible long trigger, we fixed it with a Galloway trigger kit but it is pretty stiff for small hands. She recently got a Glock 42 and loves it, she shoots it better than I do, well she shoots everything better than I do.

Racking any slide is easy for women, it's technique not strength! Google the subject and find both written and Utube demonstrations! I sometimes have to use this technique as I have some serious problems with my hands! Good luck to Mrs. Etrain 16!:)

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks! I chatted a bit with her last night, and she's showing an interest in the Glock 43 as well as the M&P Shield. I'll need to get her to a gun store to let her get a feel for them in her hands.

this is what i did with my wife.

Setup a meet at a local range. Ask everyone attending to bring a bunch of handguns.
Bring some ammo with you and ask everyone for permission to let your wife fire 1-2 magazine with each. Then she'll know what she's comfortable with.

DONE!

this is what i did with my wife.

Setup a meet at a local range. Ask everyone attending to bring a bunch of handguns.
Bring some ammo with you and ask everyone for permission to let your wife fire 1-2 magazine with each. Then she'll know what she's comfortable with.

DONE!

Good idea, but I don't really know any folks, outside of this forum, that shoot what she would want to try. We have some friends that carry, but they tend to be the Lady Smith types, and she's already stated she has no interest in a revolver (she owns an SP101, which she loves, but wants a pistol for carry).

But I do like the thinking.

Betcha she likes how the MP feels better than the Block.

That may be true. She's shot my M&P 9c several times, but hasn't yet put hands to the Glock. I would agree the M&P feels better in the hand, but honestly it's not that tough to adjust to the Glock. I find I like them both. I guess we'll see what she prefers.

I wish I had a small/mid size autoloader for her to try at the JCGC but I don't.
The two small gold standards are the Smith Bodyguard .380 and the LCP but I'm sure you know about those.

I wish I had a small/mid size autoloader for her to try at the JCGC but I don't.
The two small gold standards are the Smith Bodyguard .380 and the LCP but I'm sure you know about those.

My gal held both like the MP,
Sold my G34 after buying the MP.

She shot both LCP and BG at rented range and bought the sig 938

Glock 43
Shield
Taurus 709 Slim (what I carry as a spare)
(Yes, I know its a Taurus but it runs very well)
XDS 9mm
Sig 938
Colt mustang xsp

Id suggest ruger but their length of pull sucks.

My sister is 110 on her best day, little upper body strength. Shes more of a runner.
Anyhow the Taurus 709 and XDS werent bad for her at all. She also like ld the manual safetys of both. (Grip safety for the XDs) it made her feel more comfortable.

All are small and slim.
Recoil and the length of pull on those pistols arent too bad, they also are all affordable.
Just my .02¢

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top