JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wish I had a small/mid size autoloader for her to try at the JCGC but I don't.
The two small gold standards are the Smith Bodyguard .380 and the LCP but I'm sure you know about those.

I'm trying to stick with 9mm because I keep that around and can load for it, and it's just one less caliber to manage. I like both of those models, the only thing that bothers me about the LCP/LC9 is the really long trigger pull. In her case, I think a Glock or M&P trigger is going to be better for her. But, I don't want to assume too much, she may like something different and surprise me.

Glock 43
Shield
Taurus 709 Slim (what I carry as a spare)
(Yes, I know its a Taurus but it runs very well)
XDS 9mm
Sig 938
Colt mustang xsp

Id suggest ruger but their length of pull sucks.

My sister is 110 on her best day, little upper body strength. Shes more of a runner.
Anyhow the Taurus 709 and XDS werent bad for her at all. She also like ld the manual safetys of both. (Grip safety for the XDs) it made her feel more comfortable.

All are small and slim.
Recoil and the length of pull on those pistols arent too bad, they also are all affordable.
Just my .02¢

I'm hesitant about Taurus, but not so much that I wouldn't be willing to consider them. I do like the LCP and LC9, but yeah, that length of pull does suck.

Good idea, but I don't really know any folks, outside of this forum, that shoot what she would want to try. We have some friends that carry, but they tend to be the Lady Smith types, and she's already stated she has no interest in a revolver (she owns an SP101, which she loves, but wants a pistol for carry).

But I do like the thinking.

What area do you live in? Probably, most of us would be glad to help if not too far away.

What area do you live in? Probably, most of us would be glad to help if not too far away.

We live in O.C., and I'm a member at Douglas Ridge, which is where I do all of my shooting. We're in no hurry at the moment, with holiday stuff and work, it will probably be January before we even jump into this. If someone were available to do that though, I would certainly be appreciative.

Well, I have a Sig P290RS, a Ruger LCP, a larger Kahr, S&W "j" frame and a few others. No Shields or Glocks though! Please feel free to PM me in January if you like. Douglas Ridge is within my AO.:)

Well, I have a Sig P290RS, a Ruger LCP, a larger Kahr, S&W "j" frame and a few others. No Shields or Glocks though! Please feel free to PM me in January if you like. Douglas Ridge is within my AO.:)

I appreciate that offer and will certainly keep that in mind. Thank you!

I have a lot of guns that are carry worthy, but probably 90 percent of the time I carry my Walther PPS 9mm. It's just an exceptional pistol -- less than an inch wide, exceptionally accurate and reliable, and they just dropped the price down to where it's as affordable if not more so than the other manufacturers' single stack 9mm. I'd at least check out the reviews.

image.jpeg

I usually carry a Glock 19. I like the G43 but find smaller guns are hard on my arthritic hands.
I prefer the G42 for because it's more comfortable to shoot. Going to sell my G26 because the hands can't take it any more. If your wife doesn't have hand issues, I would suggest the G26 or G43 if she thinks a G19 is too large. The Shield is also very nice. If you can meet up with someone who has them all (such as myself:)) she could try a variety out and see what works best for her.

I usually carry a Glock 19. I like the G43 but find smaller guns are hard on my arthritic hands.
I prefer the G42 for because it's more comfortable to shoot. Going to sell my G26 because the hands can't take it any more. If your wife doesn't have hand issues, I would suggest the G26 or G43 if she thinks a G19 is too large. The Shield is also very nice. If you can meet up with someone who has them all (such as myself:)) she could try a variety out and see what works best for her.

I appreciate the input. I'm especially appreciative to hear back from the women of the forum. I would definitely like her to try them first. I can certainly take her to a gun store and handle them, but in reality, until you pull the trigger, you don't have the full story. I don't know if you're offering to assist, and don't want to assume that, but if so, we may consider taking you up on that offer sometime after the first of the year. I'm a member at DRRC, so it's a good place to meet, if that's on the table.

I appreciate the input. I'm especially appreciative to hear back from the women of the forum. I would definitely like her to try them first. I can certainly take her to a gun store and handle them, but in reality, until you pull the trigger, you don't have the full story. I don't know if you're offering to assist, and don't want to assume that, but if so, we may consider taking you up on that offer sometime after the first of the year. I'm a member at DRRC, so it's a good place to meet, if that's on the table.
I would be happy to meet up with you at DRRC. I am not a member, but I have been there for the Women's nights and for the speed steel events. After the first of the year, I will be retired and will have a pretty open schedule as to meeting. Just send me a PM when you are ready.
I agree that one should really shoot a gun rather than just handle it and I am happy to help out.

I would be happy to meet up with you at DRRC. I am not a member, but I have been there for the Women's nights and for the speed steel events. After the first of the year, I will be retired and will have a pretty open schedule as to meeting. Just send me a PM when you are ready.
I agree that one should really shoot a gun rather than just handle it and I am happy to help out.

That's a very kind offer, thank you. I will mark that down for after the first of the year and contact you then. I know my wife will appreciate that too. Thanks! :)

My wife has worked her way down to the Glock 42. This is the only gun that she has not had any trouble with racking the slide, etc. It is a good fit for her small hands. You might want to look at the Walther CCP. It is designed to be easy to rack as it uses a gas blow back system instead of a heavy spring.

Eric.....Wifey and I belong to JCGC and have Lc9, Shield, Sig 938, Sig 239 and a Kimber Pro Aegis. Be happy to meet up and let the lady fondle/shoot. Just let us know?

I hate the Lc9 because of the trigger. But I have man hands and long fingers. If the wife has short(er) fingers whose to say that trigger wouldn't suit her fine?

Eric.....Wifey and I belong to JCGC and have Lc9, Shield, Sig 938, Sig 239 and a Kimber Pro Aegis. Be happy to meet up and let the lady fondle/shoot. Just let us know?

I hate the Lc9 because of the trigger. But I have man hands and long fingers. If the wife has short(er) fingers whose to say that trigger wouldn't suit her fine?

Thanks Mike, I will certainly keep that in mind as an option too. I think an LC9 could be on the short list. Not so sure about the Sigs, but we'll see. I will be in touch down the road if we decide to test any of those too! Former JCGC member myself.

Ah yes. My wife is just under a buck and a quarter. She carrys and shoots a full sized Desert Eagle .45. To each their own I always say. Carry what you shoot best.

One thing I find helps for better control of the G26 is a +0 Pearce grip extension. Unlike the +2 extensions it maintains a small grip profile but gives you enough to hang on to with all three fingers.

Personally I rule out any guns that require a tool for disassembly. Just one of my pet peeves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=131&v=TeFNsuldLlQ
I am not crazy about it either. It was just an option I thought I would put out there.

One thing I find helps for better control of the G26 is a +0 Pearce grip extension. Unlike the +2 extensions it maintains a small grip profile but gives you enough to hang on to with all three fingers.
I've got the +0 Pearce extensions on the G26 mags. It does help with control, but the recoil is more than my old hands like.:)
I much prefer a full or compact size.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads