JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend of mine has an old Merwin Hulbert & Co. chambered in 44-40. We have been searching for something similar to compare it to for pricing, but everything we are finding is all over the spectrum. I am finding from $1600, to people (guns shops) asking nearly $4000+. (That must be why they still have them posted for sale? o_O )

This has the 7" barrel and the 5 1/2" barrel. The finish is near pristine.

Can any revolver folks chime in with rough pricing and share other knowledge? Like why are the barrels marked Merwin Hulbert & Co. yet the frame is marked "Caliber / Winchester 1873"? Why is the 5 1/2 barrel stamped with "230 _ _" (there are 2 more digits) and the 7" barrel is stamped "87 _ _" (there are 2 more digits), and the bottom of the frame is stamped with the same number as the 5 1/2" barrel? (I assume that the 5 1/2" barrel and frame were matched at the factory and the 7" was purchased as an "accessory"?) Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

20210412_165511a.jpg 20210412_165531a.jpg 20210412_165729a.jpg 20210412_165736a.jpg 20210412_165609a.jpg 20210412_165716a.jpg 20210412_165817b.jpg

Merwin Hulbert & Co. recolvers were very finely fitted. The longer barrel would almost certainly have to be fitted at the factorty, or by someone with factory training. At first glance, it would appear to have been nickeled (or re-nickeled) at some point. The small semi-circle impression in the butt was made by abrasion of the lanyard ring. That would certainly have gone through any original finish. The roll marking atop the barrel is also buffed to a degree which does not seem likely to have occurred at the factory. In that age of black powder, nickel plating was the equivalent of today's stainless, so many weapons which had rusted from humidity or corroded from black powder residue were taken to a local plater for nickeling. 'If so', that drops the originality. We know the caliber as .44-40, but since rifle/revolver combos were very popular back then, and since Winchesters were the best sellers and had introdiuced the cartridge, the identification with the rifle's make and caliber removed confusion and added some level of desirability. Are you a member of the Colt Forum? There are quite a few there with expert level knowledge on that era of firearms.

Last Edited:
From what i am reading about them they were very well built for the time and very desirable.

My friend is 85+ yrs old and recieved it from his employer when he was 17(?). He was working at a gas station and the owner had no next of kin so he gave him the revolver just before he "retired" and sold the business (as he had no other family and one to pass it to). My friend put it away and never fired it. It is as he received it almost 70 yrs ago. My friend never had it plated/re-plated and never had it buffed or polished. It's been setting in a shoe box all these years.

I will join the Colt forum and see if I can get more info.

Thanks for the info.

:s0155:

FWIW, I agree that this revolver has been refinished since leaving the factory. The smudged and obliterated lettering being one of the most obvious give always. It's a nice five footer but not a prized collector gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top