Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

another Mosin, I'm an addict

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by ditchtiger, Feb 14, 2016.

1. ditchtiger

ditchtiger In the sticks, Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Was at the Springfield, OR Cabela's yesterday and looked over a couple of Mosins to kill time as my Wife wondered off to the mall. A 91/30 with interesting stock repair. Then an M38. All matching numbers, nice receiver finish, no cleaning rod or sling though. Looking at the stock and found it not cut for side folding bayonet. $350, would have let it pass untill I noticed the rear site had the upper numbers milled off. A 91/59!!!!!
    I've only seen 2 before and 1 is in my safe. Not ultra-rare but close. Was a busy day to buy a gun, took 45 min. just in line to get on the NICS system. Cabela's sold a lot that day. Then number 140 for background check and 2+ hours wait for that. When I was done new NICS were going into the 220's..
    I like the Mosins, got into them when they were cheap and have been gathering more ever since. Have a good ammo supply as well, these don't just gather dust.

Qaolin likes this.
  2. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I like the shorties also, I've got a 59 with an ati polymer stock. I'm looking for a wood stock to swap out.It also has a clamp on muzzle brake and is a flame thrower, it is a real smile maker by all who pull the trigger :D

3. ditchtiger

Here is wood for you. Iv'e bought from this fellow before. No issues ever. Prices include shipping, http://www.gunboards.com/sites/reichoutfitters/index.html
    I have a Hungarian stock and forearm in like new condition I would peddle off but Rick's used stocks are a lot cheaper.

4. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I cut down a 91/30 to use with a t53. Bought repro top wood. Here is the result IMG_20150627_090630.jpg
    The conversion wasn't too hard, the hole for the front dog collar gave me a fit. The stock had to be relieved for the rear sight sleeve/base.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    DuneHopper likes this.
  5. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Got another 91/30 stock I'm hanging onto just in case. Gotta love those guys who sporterize.

6. Bravo4

Bravo4 Polk County, OR Member

I call my Chinese Type 53 'Little Dragon'. 'Cause is loud and spits a huge fireball each time I pull the trigger. Great fun at the range.

7. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The short Mosins have always been a favorite of mine. Always thought if I had to have just one Mosin it'd be an M38 or M91/59.

8. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

I've always regretted selling my old M44 that I picked up in a pawn shop ages ago. Beautiful shape, barely looked like a milsurp, and I think I paid $70 for it including the background check.

Been glancing at the M38 and M44 prices while thinking of replacing it, and I'm kicking myself plenty.

Great score!

9. SKSfan

SKSfan St. Helens Member

I have 3 carbines, a m38, t53, and Hungarian m44.. Love all of them.. I traded off my 91/59 and a beauty of a Hungarian m44 last year but looking for another 91/59 and hex 91/30 soon.

10. ditchtiger

LGS has a laminate stock, forced matching, hex 91/30. $200
    He bough a crate last year and all 20 were like this. Best part of the whole deal, he gave me the empty crate. :s0023:

Qaolin likes this.
  11. SKSfan

SKSfan St. Helens Member

Sweet score, I would love a crate.. Got project for coffee table. Which lgs? Laminate hex be cool

12. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

My 91/59 is my favorite shooter just because it's so handy and the fireballs are uber cool. For accuracy though my M27 Finn is the choice plus the trigger is so nice compared to their Russian cousins.

13. ditchtiger

https://gunrunnerarms.com/ Junction City, Oregon
    Everybody does coffee tables. I mounted the crate on the wall in my gun room and filled it with all things Mosin. Of course pictures are needed. Will have my daughter come over and get some and post them for me.

SKSfan and Sgt Nambu like this.
  14. ditchtiger

Lately I have been shooting the carbines more with light lead loads. It's easier on my old body. The M39 never really took to the lead bullets and yesterday I found out why. Tore it down to work on the feed interrupter, had my good glasses on and looked down the bore. Bright and shiny as a mirror, but the rifling was near gone. No need to play with the interrupter any more. So I pulled an M28 out of safe and gave it a good cleaning and inspection. Looks like today will be a good to warm up that one.