JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds to me like he didn't have it secured very good! I mean how in the heck does it just pop out of the holster when you take a bag off your shoulder? o_O

edit: I'd like to know what kind of holster it was so I don't buy one!!

Hmmmmm. I guess if I try really, really hard, I could imagine, as I'm pulling a bag off my shoulder, it contacting the butt of a sidearm and dislodging it from its holster...

I could see that happening, given a rigid holster, like kydex, that's been adjusted to a looser hold on said firearm but a firm grip on my belt... It's possible... Really stupid, but possible...

Years ago, back in high school, I was driving to work one day after school and was coming up on an intersection. At the time, there was an old bowling alley at that intersection, just to my right. As I'm approaching the intersection, a guy comes from out of nowhere and runs right in front of my car ('69 Bonneville) - I manage to slam on the brakes and avoid hitting him. As I'm sitting there trying to figure out what's going on, 2 uniformed officers, revolvers drawn, run in front of me, after him. I then notice his buddy, in handcuffs being held onto by another officer as he yells for his buddy to "Run!!". Two more plain-clothes officers join the pursuit, again, in front of my car, and that's where it got kind of funny.

Plain clothes #2 was a big guy - we're talking probably 350lbs, easily - like about as wide as he was tall. Running with one hand holding up his pants, another hand with a little snub-nose revolver, which he drops on the ground, right in front of my car. He turns around, one hand still holding up his pants, grabs the gun and re-joins the pursuit.

Thankfully no ND as a result of that revolver being dropped - I don't know if that model would have had the safety bar to prevent it from going off when dropped or not - I can only hope it would have hit that big 428 in front of me and stopped the bullet from heading my direction.

The incident was a little scary at the time, but I'll never forget that big officer thinking he could actually pursue the skinny little guy booking out at full speed :p

Ok, one more... where's the safety on a flintlock or percussion firearm? On old DB shotguns, etc. Did those folks have lots of AD problems?

Maybe @AndyinEverson could weigh in here, but I've understood the hammer at half-cock position is kind of the safety on a black powder rifle. At half-cock, the trigger can't be pulled, only at full cock. Correct me if I'm wrong Andy.

Ok, one more... where's the safety on a flintlock or percussion firearm? On old DB shotguns, etc. Did those folks have lots of AD problems?
Some had a safety...On the lock that prevented the cock from falling... or sometimes the trigger guard , which if pushed a certain way , locked the cock in place.
Many , perhaps most did not have a safety , other than a half cock notch.
A few of my muzzle loaders do not even have that.
Out of all the ones in my collection ( 30 odd ) only one has a true safety.

Which is one reason why I am comfortable in not using or relying on a mechanical safety.
When you don't have a mechanical safety you tend to focus on:
Keeping your finger off the trigger.
And
Always pointing your muzzle in a safe direction.

Now none of the above is to say that these old guns are "safer" than a modern gun... There are plenty of ND's in old accounts.

I'm just saying that for me ... having shot guns and owning guns that do not have a mechanical safety , has made me more aware of where my finger is at and where my muzzle is pointing.
Andy

Last Edited:
Maybe @AndyinEverson could weigh in here, but I've understood the hammer at half-cock position is kind of the safety on a black powder rifle. At half-cock, the trigger can't be pulled, only at full cock. Correct me if I'm wrong Andy.
Correct ... if your gun / lock is in clean working order ... then if it is has a half cock notch , that is how it it supposed to work.
Andy

Bottom line, if your pistol falls let the gun hit the ground don't try to catch it, or hacky sack it if you must.

And be sure to make a face like this as you wait to see if it's going to go off:

sleepy2-mos_070616041035.gif

Did those folks have lots of AD problems?
Maybe but we will never know do to virtually no reporting. However there are documented cases of 'ADs' with some of the early pioneers coming from the East to West via wagons. Grabbing a rifle by the barrel that was hanging on an inside rack probably accounted for more than a few but probably the biggest contributor was the complete last of any safety training on new guns sold to sometimes first time gun owners 'Heading West'. Winchester was the heaviest promoter of guns for those traveling West and often cited examples of potential treats requiring a firearm for protection and therefore sold more than most - but with virtually no safety accompanying the sale.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top