JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I watch a lot of videos from this Youtuber (Warrior Poet Society) and I just found this video today where he attends an "EDC Combatives Course" that has some pretty good examples of some pretty bad training. Thankfully, the Youtuber acknowledges these bad training moments in the video with on-screen commentary.

I just wanted to share this because it illustrates that just because a training company may appear to be very professional it doesn't mean they're always teaching you useful (or in this case legal) skills.

Finally just watched (some) of this tapout ad .

Fuzzy guitar intro , check, yoked gym rats who like guns , check, beards and black tshirts, check.

Looks like great real world training in action. Plenty of protective gear, but bare feet or socks( yes , I know wrestling mats are crazy expensive)

I heard "protesters " mentioned. So 1 on 1 or even 2 on 1 is maybe a little lighter odds than you'd be facing.
Well lit indoor setting. No curbs , barricades, parked cars, moving cars, burning cars, burning dumpsters, etc.

Bleeding knuckles. Excellent proof that you have trained hard and are indeed ready for anything.

Cue the slow clap.

I've been trying to show my wife how to cook for years, and still haven't made it out of the "don't do this" phase.
She still chops veggies with a steak knife and boils chicken breast.

She's playing you.

I have to cook most of the really good stuff because mine ( crafty she-devil)
will do a bad job on purpose. Grey steaks and powdered Turkeys are a master manipulator checkmate move.

It's all good. Honestly, after 2 decades under the lash , I'm just a hollow shell of a man.
But everyone loves my cooking.
I hate doing laundry, so when I'm breaking in a new girlfriend I make sure to slip a brand-new red bandana in with a couple of her shirts and some old jeans I never wear. Works every time. Hey, pink shirts! I bet you look hot in these. :D

* Don't do this. It's just humor. Seriously do not do this. :eek:

I hate doing laundry, so when I'm breaking in a new girlfriend I make sure to slip a brand-new red bandana in with a couple of her shirts and some old jeans I never wear. Works every time. Hey, pink shirts! I bet you look hot in these. :D

* Don't do this. It's just humor. Seriously do not do this. :eek:
I hate doing laundry too. Don't get me wrong, I really like doing the wash. It's when it comes out of the dryer I loose interest. If I leave it long enough she gets around to it. That's why 37 pairs of socks and 37 pairs of under ware are necessary. Just as many t-shirts, and 9-12 flannel shirts.

I watch a lot of videos from this Youtuber (Warrior Poet Society) and I just found this video today where he attends an "EDC Combatives Course" that has some pretty good examples of some pretty bad training. Thankfully, the Youtuber acknowledges these bad training moments in the video with on-screen commentary.

I just wanted to share this because it illustrates that just because a training company may appear to be very professional it doesn't mean they're always teaching you useful (or in this case legal) skills.

Didn't watch that video yet but I totally agree there are a lot of guys who do training and don't have the skills or knowledge to do so. Imo bad training is MUCH worse than studying on ur own and training yourself. Like YouTube videos (on any subject I mean, not gun training) anyone can claim they r an expert and some YouTube "expert" videos are just laughable they r so bad. All it takes is customers to eat up their BS for them to continue. Of course there are good trainers out there so I don't mean to take anything away from those good trainers.

I find that guy ( what's his name...John something) to produce some of the most cringe worthy video since The Office. But it's not entertaining or funny. He is not nearly as smart as his warrior poet label suggests, but he can and does like to talk.

Last Edited:
Didn't watch that video yet but I totally agree there are a lot of guys who do training and don't have the skills or knowledge to do so. Imo bad training is MUCH worse than studying on ur own and training yourself. Like YouTube videos (on any subject I mean, not gun training) anyone can claim they r an expert and some YouTube "expert" videos are just laughable they r so bad. All it takes is customers to eat up their BS for them to continue. Of course there are good trainers out there so I don't mean to take anything away from those good trainers.
Training yourself is often a bad idea. Seek out reputable in person training.

I'll throw out a different perspective as food for thought. Most (and I feel pretty comfortable with this generality although I know there are plenty of exceptions) gun people are not MMA, martial arts, combatives people on a regular basis. Some are, bless them. In the past I've studied Aikido and arrest control techniques as an LEO but it's been a while. Had the opportunity to take a three day class that blended firearms (SIRT laser trainers) with combatives. Most of the people in the class came from more of a Krav / combatives background.

It was ugly.

I got my bubblegum handed to me constantly throughout the class...and it was awesome. You do the wrong thing, and learn from it. You watch others doing the same. You discuss what went wrong and why shooting that now unarmed person would be bad and potentially in jail. Train ugly was the motto for the class.

At the end of the video John notes the only way to get better at fighting is by fighting. This is true. As many different people that you can in as many ways possible. Real fights are ugly, dirty and hurt, even when you win. If we are unprepared for this reality we will not be winning the fight. We would benefit to remember that non-LEO gunfights are statistically close, very close. And the chance of going hands on before or during a shooting are very real. For me it was beneficial to attend training like this and I look forward to doing more. I'm not a kid...approaching 60...so it's incentive to spend more time in the home gym and doing cardio so I hurt less and don't suck as much wind.

Just one rando dude on the interwebs perspective.

Sometimes, when I sneeze, I throw my back out - if it isn't already acting up more than usual. I can imagine what would happen if I went to a hand to hand class.

My strategy is to stay away from people, places and things where I would need to fight for my life.

If I have to, I will shoot first and ask questions later.

Not optimum, but there it is. Eventually we will all get to that point, sooner or later.

Wish I had seen this earlier... dead thread bump!

Macho man stuff aside, the point they were trying to make with this video is that most people just train with their gun, and don't take into account the fact that if you actually have to use it there's a strong possibility it could involve a struggle of some kind. When you find yourself in a physical altercation your rational thought process goes out the window and you start operating on instinct and muscle memory... which is great, except when you're carrying a gun those reflexes could result in actions that could be hard to justify in court (like shooting an unarmed man). There's a big difference between logically knowing when it's appropriate to draw and actually practicing the discipline of not immediately going for your gun when some idiot decides he wants to pick a fight with ya.

They showed what actually happens when you train on something new - you make mistakes. They called out what people did wrong - "was your wallet worth getting into a knife fight over?", "probably better to avoid this entirely than to push the guy around and try to fight it out", "shooting an unarmed assailant... good luck in court", etc. - to give the audience some of the same feedback they would have received had they been at the actual course watching those mistakes being performed in person. They should have done a better job of wrapping it up, like a "lessons learned" or synopsis of key points, but pretty sure that was just a snippet from a longer video.

I also like what they said about this type of training highlighting the importance of situational awareness because once you've gone through it you realize just how much you want to avoid this sort of confrontation if at all possible. If you're practicing good situational awareness 99.999% of the time you will avoid this kind of situation entirely, and most others to boot. Having also been through force-on-force training before, IMO it was valuable information when you consider the context in which it is presented.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top