JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a new toy for the reloading room. Very easy to use, and sure beats the socket and torch method.
32806310617_02de686915_z.jpg
Sacrificed case for calibrating aztec mode
33872747098_e4c7587a3b_z.jpg
Before annealing left and after annealing right
46833137305_19991521bd_z.jpg

When I started Aztec I did a couple cases and always got the same number so now I just sacrifice 1 case. I'm also using Lapua almost exclusively which is very consistent brass. Haven't tried it on cheaper less consistent brass.

Pennies when comparing to everything else :)
One sacrificed to the metal testing gods so others may live long lives. By annealing after every firing, you are keeping the shoulder and neck area the same hardness so resizing doesn't shorten life. This preserves the work you put into case prep. The other benefit is consistent neck tension which contributes to accuracy. In my last case of 100 Lapua 6.5 CMs there were 101. It was meant to be that one of them be "selected"

These still crazy expensive or am I always looking in the wrong place?
$1395.... falls into the buy once cry once category. I rationalized it was saving me money over time

Benefit 1) is preserving expensive brass. The cost of 338-378 brass was $4 each and before annealing, I was only getting 2 firings out of them. I'm getting more firings per case now.

Benefit 2) Consistent neck tension by keeping the neck/shoulder hardness consistent

When I selected my sample case, I weighed them and went with one that represented the bulk
I would be curious if your range of codes correlates with different case weights. That is a big spread of codes.
Haven't weighed them yet as I was waiting until after second firing so they are fully formed

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top