JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Andy,

Do you reload - hand load for any of your firearms that only use smokeless powder? Modern firearms.

Do you only use factory ammunition for all of your modern, smokeless powder firearms?

Do you shoot more of your black powder firearms than your smokeless powder CF and RF firearms on an annual basis?

Thank you.

Cate

Cate

I have hand loaded in the past....but just never caught the bug , so to speak.
So its factory loads for me with my modern firearms.

Most of my shooting is with my black powder firearms....closely followed by my .22 firearms.
I carry and shoot my Hawken Rifle the most out of all that I own.

Its my most used firearm....anything from impromptu "Betcha can't hit that" , plinking , formal monthly club shoots and rendezvous shooting matches , will be done with this rifle.
I shoot targets as close as 10 yards ( splitting a playing card edgewise ) to gongs at 200 yards.
For hunting I limit myself to around 100 yards.

My favorite shooting with it , is done in a causal way , as I carry the rifle while hiking or scouting for a hunting trip...and seeing if I can hit that odd colored rock , old leaf or left over spent shot gun shell.
Treating this shot as a "hunting shot" , one chance to make a hit or miss , usually off hand.
Please note that this is done, only if it is safe to do so.
Andy

Original Poster,

I only shoot RF (22lr and 22wmr) firearms now.

Federal Auto Match (Lead round nose.) and Federal HP bulk box are my favorites in 22lr.

With that said, I have shot many types, grains and BRANDS in 22lr over the years. Bulk boxes, 50 to 100 round boxes and so called BETTER (According to some shooters. NOT to me - no offense!) More Expensive 22lr ammunition in famous brands. From the late 90's and on.

Some of the so called better (Ely, Norma, etc.) brands (22lr) shot NO better for my husband or me compared to our regular FEDERAL, some CCI and other brands. I believe that it is the SHOOTER, what GUN he is using and how clean his rifle or handgun is. I am talking about the exact - same weather conditions AND shooting distances now IF the ammunition that is SHOT is compared on the same DAY of shooting in a CLEAN handgun or rifle. I do realize that many people do NOT agree with me. NO problem!

Right now, my MT husband and I have MORE FEDERAL 22lr in stock than any other brand. Federal Auto Match and Federal HP bulk boxes.

He did buy some boxes of Remington Golden bullets, Winchester and CCI when he FOUND (LOL) some 22lr on hand and just put that aside since WE rotate ALL of our RF ammo. He had held off in buying and replacing 22lr for close to 1 year due to the craziness and we were shooting what we had on hand. (We planned ahead as always.)

We don't buy ammo ONLINE and I am NOT knocking people who do that. We buy from our local small and large stores.

I and/or we have always bought a BIT at a time on a VERY regular basis to replace what we shot AND when we planned ahead for our RF shooting. Especially MY 22lr shooting when I was a high volume shooter. When I got out of all CF shooting and firearms... I upped my 22lr stock years ago too. I am NO longer a high volume shooter but I do keep up my skills.

I gave my husband a BUNCH of my former 22lr stock. I went way, way down in my 22lr stock on purpose.

With all of the craziness... I went UP in my stock AGAIN for my Bare Minimum Levels too. It was on our shelves, stored properly and we always did rotate what we USED and bought. (Like our food!) I did this even though I do NOT shoot as much any longer but I do keep up my skills and safety levels.

So I went to 1,000 rounds of 22lr and 1,000 rounds of 22wmr for myself.

I USED to plan on much, much more stock for myself per year in my RF shooting!

When it comes to 22wmr ammo... we have various TOP BRANDS, grains and types there. Especially since we bought our 2 CZ 457Lux (22wmr) bolt action rifles this year.

I only own and shoot 2 rifles now - CZ 457Lux rifles with iron sights. Actually, I do sometimes shoot a FEW of my husband's RF firearms but mainly I only shoot what I OWN - 2 rifles.

I do not reload and I never did reload. I never owned a shotgun too.

I always bought and shot brass cased CF ammunition in quality brands. NO steel. Top brands.

My MT husband always bought brass cased CF ammunition when he did buy some CF ammunition. NO steel. Top brands.

My MT husband has reloaded for ALL of his past and present CF firearms and for many of his former shotguns too. He does not own a shotgun now. He has reloaded since the early 70's.

He does buy a BIT of factory ammunition in 45acp and in 30-30 Win to keep some on hand.

I can't remember the 3 top brands for his 45acp more expensive factory ammo now without getting up to LOOK but I do remember his 30-30 Win factory ammo. Remington Core-Lokt and Federal Power-Shok. Their spelling not mine! (150Grain and 170Grain)

He reloads for:

45acp

30-30 Win.
30-06
45-70

He used to own far MORE firearms and firearms in MANY other calibers too.

I used to shoot his reloaded ammunition in my former CF firearms but I did have my own factory CF ammunition too.

My husband still shoots on a regular basis too. So what he has, he shoots and he has a bare minimum level in 22lr and 22wmr. He has stock on hand to reload for his CF firearms too. All of it gets rotated.

Old Lady Cate
ADDED more and typos!

Last Edited:
Cate

I have hand loaded in the past....but just never caught the bug , so to speak.
So its factory loads for me with my modern firearms.

Most of my shooting is with my black powder firearms....closely followed by my .22 firearms.
I carry and shoot my Hawken Rifle the most out of all that I own.

Its my most used firearm....anything from impromptu "Betcha can't hit that" , plinking , formal monthly club shoots and rendezvous shooting matches , will be done with this rifle.
I shoot targets as close as 10 yards ( splitting a playing card edgewise ) to gongs at 200 yards.
For hunting I limit myself to around 100 yards.

My favorite shooting with it , is done in a causal way , as I carry the rifle while hiking or scouting for a hunting trip...and seeing if I can hit that odd colored rock , old leaf or left over spent shot gun shell.
Treating this shot as a "hunting shot" , one chance to make a hit or miss , usually off hand.
Please note that this is done, only if it is safe to do so.
Andy

Thanks for the information!

Good shooting to you too.

Since you mentioned some other RF ammunition in your other post - I will mention this.

I forgot to mention that I have shot 22Short, 22Long and, of course, 22lr ammunition too. (22wmr too!)

I NEVER bought 22Short or 22Long ammo but my MT husband had some on hand years ago, in HIS stash, and we shot them all up to the best of my memory. So I have shot those rounds in my former lever action rifles. I did not own my bolt action rifles at the time.

Cate

1. Federal Brass in 9mm and .40 S&W for plinking.
2. Remington UMC is good.
3. Speer Lawman is exceptionally clean burning.

I try to avoid Winchester White Box. Seen too many horror stories about bad ammo to trust it.

I refuse to buy/shoot any steel cased foreign crap. I tried a box once. Once. Shooting is about honing skills and evaluating a pistol's performance, and not simply making loud noises and putting holes in the general direction the pistol is pointing. That's pretty much all that crap is useful for and I don't see the point.

My home defense pistol is full of Sig V-Crown ammo and my carry pistol has reloads with Hornady XTPs loaded to duplicate factory defense loads.

I have generally had satisfactory experience with most major brands but reload most hunting ammo, as I am a huge fan of Nosler partition bullets. My son, grandsons and myself have taken everything from deer, elk, antelope, caribou and sheep and these bullets have ALWAYS performed as advertised.

I did recently purchase some Blaser 380 ammo and noticed in the small print on the box a warning not to use with a suppressed or ported barrel. I called the manufacturer and they indicated the plating could splinter off and injure someone to the side of the barrel. I do not have a suppressed or ported 380 but now I wonder if this plating will foul my barrel. Will have to shoot to see, I guess.

"I have generally had satisfactory experience with most major brands but reload most hunting ammo, as I am a huge fan of Nosler partition bullets. My son, grandsons and myself have taken everything from deer, elk, antelope, caribou and sheep and these bullets have ALWAYS performed as advertised.I did recently purchase some Blaser 380 ammo and noticed in the small print on the box a warning not to use with a suppressed or ported barrel. I called the manufacturer and they indicated the plating could splinter off and injure someone to the side of the barrel. I do not have a suppressed or ported 380 but now I wonder if this plating will foul my barrel. Will have to shoot to see, I guess."

Thanks for the tip and congratulations on picking up this information on the box. I usually don't go past the velocity and other ballistics in the contents. I wouldn't use it but happy Blazer posted the possible problems. I read my box in its entirety. It was Blazer from CCI for 9mm Luger box of 50. You have likely heard commercials on TV for certain medications detailing how many ways you can succumb from taking certain medicines. Well, the instructions and details on this box remind me a little of that type of TV advertisement. So the short is, reading the ammo box for the precautions and warnings about the product therein can be very informative and possibly useful. For example I learned my loads were NR or not re-loadable.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews