JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A lot of ranges don't like green tip ammo because of its likeness to armor piercing ammo.... but I bought this stuff off the shelf at a local sporting goods store with no awareness of it being any more piercing than your standard 5.56 cartridge. So what's the deal? Is this ammo just plain worthless to me if all of my local ranges don't permit it?

2018-03-03-13-50-32-.jpg

Yes, it's worthless. You should give it to me. :)

Obviously, no, it isn't worthless. If I'm remembering correctly it has a steel core. Nothing super special about it as far as armor piercing. I think the ranges don't like it because of the steel core for safety reasons. It could make sparks or ricochet. They don't care at my range so I've never paid much attention to it.

A lot of ranges don't like green tip ammo because of its likeness to armor piercing ammo.... but I bought this stuff off the shelf at a local sporting goods store with no awareness of it being any more piercing than your standard 5.56 cartridge. So what's the deal? Is this ammo just plain worthless to me if all of my local ranges don't permit it?

The range I go to just warns us not to shoot the steel poppers. So we shoot paper targets with no problems. If I want to shoot the steel poppers, I switch to M193 or reloads.

Yes, it's worthless. You should give it to me. :)

Obviously, no, it isn't worthless. If I'm remembering correctly it has a steel core. Nothing super special about it as far as armor piercing. I think the ranges don't like it because of the steel core for safety reasons. It could make sparks or ricochet. They don't care at my range so I've never paid much attention to it.

I can understand this at an indoor range under 50 yards but apparently I'll have to check with the outdoor range which is 100 to 200 yards (and occasionally they open a 1,000 yard range). Might be because of sparks or maybe it does more damage to target frames? It's Douglas Ridge btw if anyone knows

At ARPC the issue has always been sparks, the steel cores spark and can start fires when they hit rocks. The cores are mild steel and not really armor piercing.
Well that would explain it. Guess I'll have to look into trading it away for some different ammo.

It's not worthless by any means, M855 Green Tip also known as SS109 when it first came out is just a different type of ball ammo with a steel tip added to increase range... Many thought it was Armor peircing and that has led to the confusion for many RSO's and ranges thinking it will damge their backstops and or target stands. Armor Piercing is "BLACK" tipped and has a heavier core of many different materials to get it to penetrate light armor... I won;t go into all the details and bore you to death.. Also some fear sparks, a fire and liability...
Let your conscience be your guide...

It's not worthless by any means, M855 Green Tip also known as SS109 when it first came out is just a different type of ball ammo with a steel tip added to increase range... Many thought it was Armor peircing and that has led to the confusion for many RSO's and ranges thinking it will damge their backstops and or target stands. Armor Piercing is "BLACK" tipped and has a heavier core of many different materials to get it to penetrate light armor... I won;t go into all the details and bore you to death.. Also some fear sparks, a fire and liability...
Let your conscience be your guide...
A steel tip added to increase range? This is new to me. I was under the understanding that it was to defeat barriers. IE body armor, car doors, etc

My range could care less about steel core ammo since there is only one 12x12 steel plate & a 5" round plate that have been there forever. I never got into the 62g greenies not seeing accuracy & cost is not justified for just plinkin ammo.;)

Last Edited:
They banned it from the range near me because somebody shot holes through the baffles that keep stray bullets from going into the neighborhoods. The baffles were made of 2-6" thick wood glue lam beams with 1/4" mild steel sandwiched inside. Whoever did it made hundreds of shots into the same area to break through.
Always somebody messing it up for everybody else.

They banned it from the range near me because somebody shot holes through the baffles that keep stray bullets from going into the neighborhoods. The baffles were made of 2-6" thick wood glue lam beams with 1/4" mild steel sandwiched inside. Whoever did it made hundreds of shots into the same area to break through.
Always somebody messing it up for everybody else.

Yep, just like the slob trap and trash shooters on public and private land. There are those that will pick up after themselves if I'm around and suggest that people at least pick up what they brought into the local pit. I saw these two guys carrying in two boxes of beer bottles, I asked if they were going to drink & shoot they replied, Hell no, we just gonna shoot em. I told them to turn around and never return and so far if they have been back they haven't left any new glass or boxes laying around.
I hate trash shooters!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads