Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by FortunateSon, Oct 22, 2012.

1. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just curious, am I the only one that feels like no matter how much I prep it is never enough?

I find myself anxious, worried that I don't have enough or there is something else that I must get. Even though I examine what I have, compare it to my overall plan, and tell myself that I am fine if something were to happen today, I just can't escape that feeling. To make matters worse, it tends to lead me away from my step-by-step plan for acquiring items I need to stretch my food supply out for the long-term. For instance, I might buy more ammo or dry goods instead of picking up the freeze-dried food I know I need to carry me long term.

Is it just me or is this common?

aksu747, MissJ, CryWolf and 3 others like this.
  2. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

I have my moments too, especially when I "reach out" beyond the mainstream media to understand what is happening in several European countries. I fear we will hit a similar wall with our expanding debt and foolish, short-term thinking like QE1-3.

Peter

3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Jeeze Dude! Calm down! I have been doing this stuff since 1969 and I'm not done yet. If there's a catastrophic event you can't have enough preps and stockpiled goods to keep every thing the same as now. Eventually there must be realignments, new treaty's, running, hiding, fortifying, new roots or dying and destruction. Just ANTHING! You were born and raised (I'm assuming) in a first world country where you have always had the illusion of being in control of your fate! Well, not so much. Remember the old military axiom that "the plan of battle dosent last beyond first contact with the enemy!" I hope that you work on yourself. Be the best that you can be, LOL! Try some Tai Chi. Martial arts, etc. If you are versital your bullets and beans dont have to be. Live now! This IS life! Prep your best and dust off that perspective molecule!
    Good luck to you!

4. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's common, but I do know for sure that you're not alone. I try to temper that feeling by setting reasonable goals in small steps and accomplishing. Of course, once those reasonable goals are met, there is always room for more. If I can have 15 days of ready-to-go water on hand, why not 30 days? If I can have 6 months of subsistence food, why not 18? It's a balancing act. I want to be prepared, but not a candidate for a starring role on "Hoarders."

5. FortunateSon

He He Very funny.......

Not freaking out here, just always seems like there is more to do. And I need to find the discipline to stay on task. Money is tight so I have to take baby steps - prep a little at a time. It doesn't take spending much on something that I don't really "need" right now to get me off track, which gets me a little edgy. The wife keeps telling me that all is well, we are as ready as we can be today.

It may not seem like it, but I do realize that this is a lifestyle and not a task that has an end date. There will always be at least a little work to do as over time I rotate through my food, gas reserves, etc.......

MissJ and (deleted member) like this.
  6. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

There always is more to do, as others have said do the best you can, be versatile.

I look at what I have and where I was 6 months, a year ago and two years ago, then I look at my list and say crap, but it takes time.

A buddy told me once you can spend allof your money on food and guns and forget to think about first aid, meds, water treatment etc.

My point being I have been Mr Prepared all of my life and have still found times where I did not have exactly what I needed. But I am still alive.

start with the basics, and move forward, we all have our moents when think we could be better prepared, there is a lot I can use to make life easier in shtf, live a generator, I do not have one yet, but I have means to cook, purify water and plenty bullets and beans.

Make a list prioritize it and don't forget enjoy life while doing it, if things get as bad as they can, I do not think anyone here will be 100% of where they need to be.

MissJ and (deleted member) like this.
  7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Quit reading Knuckelhead's posts.
    Nobody can keep up with him so don't try:D

Don't worry about it,just do what you can afford to do as you go along.
    It may already be too late,or we may have another 10 years.
    So no need to worry really is there?

8. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Survival isn't about stuff, it's about skills. If you have skills, you can get stuff. If you don't have skills, you will likely have to spend that stuff to aquire skills.

Among the most important skills... staying cool under pressure.

9. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Anyone who makes ANY effort is way above the curve. The vast majority of deluded folks don't make any effort whatsoever. Normalcy bias is a bubblegum.

novamind, MissJ, dolooper and 15 others like this.
  10. jimboshooter

jimboshooter West Portland, Oregon Active Member

My parents were preparedness minded and I have been getting ready for who knows what my whole life. I have found that you are never really ready, just a little less un-ready. I have to take breaks now and then or I will go crazy. I agree with others that you just gotta stick to your plan and always build your preparedness gear. Of course, I say that then next month I will go hog wild and blow a ton of money on Burt's suggestion of a night vision scope from Ebay or Honeyville will have another sale or I go buy a Biolite stove. My biggest issue is where do I keep all this crap?

11. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

Buy a bigger submarine with a larger screen door. :)

Seriously though, part of the process I have found over the years is just like any other process. Find what works for you and keep it. What doesn't work for you sell to someone else, it will work for them and complement their preps beautifully. And don't worry about it, as much as I would like to be as prepped as Bert or Knucklehead, I ain't. But that doesn't stop me from keeping on with my preps.

"There you go man, just keep as cool as you can. Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them you perceive the web they weave...Keep on keeping on..." Moody Blues (as close as I can remember off the top of my head).

Sodbuster

12. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

Generally anxiety like that is due to uncertainties.

Pick up some books frorm the library on risk management, disaster prep for professionals- something like that. Instead of watching scary trends in the news for a while. You're already aware there are scary trends out there and that's good. Now try to get some rigour into you evaluation of likelihoods and realistic scenarios. Prepping instead of scaring yourself (don't take this as an insult, I like where you're going with your planning.)

It may be that the scattered approach is making things worse for your anxiety level instead of bringing the comfort that you should realize from being alert and prepared. I have acquired much less "Stuff" than I had originally thought I would by now. Part of that is competing requirements for limited resources. Part of it is just putting things in perspective and prioritizing my learning and systematic/institutional prepping over hoarding things with a shelf life.

13. Sgt Nambu

Sorry Man, wasn't really meant to be funny. The first post read like not so quiet desperation! Second post a lot better. During the late '60s thru the '80s there was a magazine published called "Survival Guide" or "American Survival Guide" later on. I used to get awfully frustrated that I couldn't afford the gear, retreat, fancy freeze dried food, etc. I was also on my own as far as spending cash on what we now call preps. Try, in 1975, to convince your wife and new mother of your child just why you need to spend a months pay on a battle rifle and ammo! Remember, Vietnam was ending, looked like peace, and survivalists were paranoid, nut case, idiots! So I get the frustration! One thing I always remembered that helped me a lot was that if I ran a mile or a makeshift obstacle course on the children's play ground equipment I would feel better both physically and mentally and it was a "prep!"

P.S. At least I still have those magazines and the techniques are still valid!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  14. FortunateSon

Yeah, when I re-read my initial post it was obvious that I sounded rather stressed out, which isn't the case. Just trying to stay focused and on task, and reaching out to see if anyone else has the same issues.

I joined the Army in 1979. My Drill Sergeants were both Vietnam Vets and just weren't right (not hard to figure out why). One of them found out that Larry Bird's Step-Brother was in my platoon and insisted on playing him one-on-one in basketball every day, even though the poor lad was about 5'9" and 250 lbs. Needless to say, Drill Sgt. Brown rode him right on out of the Army in about 2 weeks. I felt sorry for the guy at first but now I understand what happened. Also have to point out that when I joined Jimmy Carter was on his way out as President and the Military was in shambles (see: Iran Hostage Crisis). Ronald Reagan got elected and everything changed - for the better.

15. OregonPlinker

OregonPlinker Creswell, Or Active Member

My shtf prep involved moving to a place that was desirable to me in the case I need to just survive. I started developing my pantry and medicine cabinet, already had some guns and bullets. But I wanted out of town. I wanted a sustainable place to live so I started saving and looking. When I found what I wanted, I moved... My place has a wood stove, Spring fed water that will gravity feed if the powers out, A pond thats also spring fed, room for horses, goats and poultry, A huge pantry. Were backed up to blm thats full of deer, elk, rabbit and squirrel, I planted the pond with crappy, bluegill and catfish.(Its a big pond). We grow a victory garden every year. As long as its not a nuke scenario Im fairly content other than the fact I was in a car wreck and my physical preparedness took a dive. I can still run but not that fast and depending on how my body responds I might not be able to get out of bed in time to answer the phone the next day...lol. I can walk all day but that running crap just dont cut it. I also took up reloading as part of my prep. Bought some battle rifles recently in case someone gets up close. I already have some bolt guns and feel fairly proficient with them. I have quite a few and with my wife reloading for me I dont need the battle rifles right off the bat. We live on a hill and I can see almost a mile. One way in and one way out unless you really know the area. But yeah I just get this bug every now and then that Im not ready enough...lol. The battle rifles were the most recent bug...

16. MissJ

MissJ Clackamas County Active Member

I think what you are feeling is very normal for an adult who has recently "awakened". It can be overwhelming to the senses, the psyche and the budget. I've been there myself and went on a buying frenzy, now looking back I realize I've "wasted" probably more than $1,000 on un-needed or overpriced gear. I think how far that "wasted money" would go in beans, bullets or bandaids today and I want to kick myself....but then I remind myself it was all a part of the learning process that got me to where I am today...and TODAY I am in a better place than I was 3 weeks ago. And 3 weeks ago I am in a better place than I was 3 months ago. And 3 months ago I am in a better place than I was 3 years ago... And if I hadn't "wasted" that money on some overpriced first aid kit, the "old me" probably would have "wasted" it on something else like movie tickets, or penny stocks, or clothes.... At least now I have SOMETHING (even if it was overpriced and not super useful...)

Anywhoo...I'd like to do some new-aged, hippy, imagery mumbo-jumbo with you right now :D....

I want you to picture 2 scenarios that I think will bring you some weird, vague comfort:

Scenario #1: Picture a future world where the worst possible thing has happened. like...Zombies, robot mutiny, aliens, plague, Obama is crowned king of America, whatever. Now picture the most prepared man on the planet reacting to this crisis...imagine his bunker, can you see it? his mountains of food, his "army" of friends and family in matching fatigues with matching battle rifles in the perfect bug out location and yada yada yada.....THIS GUY forgot something! yes he did! This guy wishes he had more of X, Y or Z. This guy is kicking himself for not "prepping harder" cursing himself for buying that new power tool when he COULD have bought more ammo....wishing he would have only had more time, more conviction...

Scenario #2 Picture a father of 3 racing home from his 6 figure job in his brand new Lexus. He screeches to a stop and his $300 sunglasses fall and smash in the driveway as he lunges towards his McMansion and throws open the door to find his children are alive; and his trophy wife is attempting to "protect" the house with a Teflon skillet....but they are scared and they are looking to him for answers, for comfort, for security. He doesn't know what to say. He doesn't know what to do. He doesn't know how they'll get through the weekend, let alone a prolonged national crisis. They have about a week's worth of food in the house, about $200 in cash, a fancy security system, no guns and no plans.

You, MY FRIEND, are somewhere between these two guys.

17. Sgt Nambu

That was great! Nice work!

18. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

The sad part is SCENARIO #2 people are going to be overrun with ease. I know a lot of SCENARIO #2s. They just don't get it. They will be target #1 for the starving and desperate masses.

I have an acquaintance who is one of the wealthiest guys in Portland. Newest Ferrari, newest Mercedes, newest Escalade. 14 million dollar home. Artwork galore, seven bathrooms in his house for him, his wife, and one child.

The guy couldn't screw in a light bulb without assistance. They both have materialism as their life priority.

When SHTF - in my mind that equates to an economic freefall/collapse of the dollar and all paper assets - they will be lucky to last a week or two. Very sad when I think about their little daughter.

Here they have millions but refuse to have more than three days food, or a gun for that matter. Storing away just one bucket of extra food CANNOT be done. Why? Because that would be acknowledging that their world MAY come crashing down.

So when the homeless hoards come a knockin' it is all over for them. Their safe and nice neighborhood will be targeted for rape, murder, arson, and rape (Blazing Saddles).

19. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

You know, I'm kinda curious about the perceptions of those two situations....

The guy in the first case, has a mountain of gold... weapons, ammo, food, water all things that are of immediate and real world value. While he does have at least some means to protect himself and his stuff there will be significantly more people looking for this guy, than guy #2.

Guy #2 on the other-hand, doesn't have any food or weapons, therefore he will be an easy mark. Other than perhaps being a target for rape or long pork he and his family have nearly zero value. So chances are, he will be passed by at least until he starves or dies of dehydration.

The biggest "fly in the ointment" is that "preppers" are planning for an event which may never come, and are continuing to build huge piles of storage food, guns and ammunition. The problem is this kind of speculation is the exact same thing that got us into trouble first with the stock market in 2000, then again with the housing crunch in 2008. If you place too much value on certain commodities, anticipating their value will go up exponentially when X event happens, you will not be adequately prepared when Y event happens.

For example, lets say you build your bunker underneath that mountain of food you have, yet you end up being forced out by a fire, a flood, or some other unforseen event. There tends to be this odd physical prohibition against taking everything with you. And it's worth thinking about.

20. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Holy shiite, dude... YES, there's definitely something wrong with you. ALL of you.

It's called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and if you go talk to your doctor, your obsession with hoarding freeze-dried food and ammunition will begin to subside in about 2-3 weeks.

Don't ask this question on this board... ask this question on a physicians' board, or a home-makers' board, or a car enthusiasts' board... where normal people can give you a normal response. Seriously- copy and paste your OP into a thread on a mental health board. It's the first step to recovery.