JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have experience with altering or modifying kydex holsters? I have a couple of Fobus brand for different pistols and recently bought a Black Hawk Serpa holster for my Springfield XD, sub-comp. I like the Serpa security but with that and the others, the muzzle end is squared off, with a relatively large empty space with short barreled pistols. Kinda defeats the purpose of a short barreled pistol.

That squared off area makes concealment difficult and I am tempted to try and remove some of the material at an angle, perhaps with a belt sander. Has anyone tried that, and if so, how did it turn out? What should I watch out for?

I have and really like Blade Tech holsters with rounded edges on the muzzle end, but I can envision ruining my Serpa by applying heat and trying to mold it to fit the gun.

to hot it will ball up and burn to warm it will bend if you can make your major cut with a hacksaw then slowly true it with the grinder.

Kydex is a thermo moldable plastic.

I bought a stock for a Thompson Contender.It wasn't exactly for my barrel,so I had to fill a hole and redrill it to except my barrel's lug.I had shaved something down and had the shavings left.I melted them down to fill the old hole.Then I took a composite sight from my bow,that was deformed,and melted it in there too.
I used a soldering gun with a blade on it.Worked like a charm.It isn't that hard to work with this material.It may cost you 1 holster,but you will learn from it.

Good luck

That or what NCW said would work fine,the retention is above that anyway.
There is that little clip inside,too,but I use one without that.It holds the gun perfect.
But what I would do first is cut up the back of it,where the thin part angles to the bottom?
Then you can blend it back into the main holster body.
Like I said,you can repair this stuff easy.Keep the part you cut off for filler when blending it back together and fixing the bottom.
Use a very fine saw to cut it.

Then come back here and post pics:s0155:

I work with kydex making knife sheaths. I'd cut that with a hacksaw or bandsaw at low speed if you have one. This will chew up the edge of the kydex; just hit it with some sand paper to smooth it out, 120+ grit. If you get it hot it will gum up. Without knowing the internal structure of the holster i'd say you shouldn't have any problems modifying that holster.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top