JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I now own one of these modified AKs from Alliance Armament.
I don't know what got into me other than the notion that I would have something no one else on this side of the Mississippi has.
All "AA Bashing" from the 'haters aside, ...it's turned out to actually be a decent big bore gun.
If you haven't seen one, its a WASR that has been rebuilt (not just rebarreled) into a .458 shooting beast.
Alliance used the same case dimensions as the .458 SOCOM, but based the cartridge on the 7mm Rem SA brass.
I had an ammo problem right away, but that has been quickly addressed by Alliance and it was not the weapon malfunctioning. It has been fed properly dimensioned ammo ever since. :gun11:
So far : 50 rounds through it. seems to be around 6MOA accurate.
Well . . . I like strange caliber guns. :D
Any one else in the north west have one of these, or am I the only knothead that bought one?

This is it laying on my carpet, the day I got it home.

I also got the reloading dies and several boxes of "460 Alliance" ammunition.
It does not seem to be badly assembled. It all is tight and nothing wiggles.
Yeah, it's a cobbled together odd caliber setup. I do not get quite the accuracy of even my other IOK-47C. I do not expect I will. But then again, I don't expect to. It 'supposedly' compairs the same to the AR platform .458 SOCOM with accuracy and energy.
So far, I can at least hit the car door at 100 yards. :)
I got this out of sheer curiosity. I'm just wondering if anyone else also has one. I'd like to compare notes.

As for markings, I have no idea why Alliance didn't just bend up thier own flats. (such as Inter Ordinance does, or I have done two times on my own) Must be a cost issue. It is somewhat mystifying that it's still marked as a WASR, and 7.62x39.
The stock off the WASR is annoyingly too short for anyone daring to shoot this high recoil monster. I had to swap the stock off my modified IOK-47C for the longer reach.
Otherwise . . . it is not that bad of a rifle for what it is. - Just saying.

What does it use for mags?

Standard AK magazine with a modified follower. They (Alliance Armament) welded a small rod on the opposite side of the 7.62x39 lump to make the last round centered at the botom. A 30rd mag body holds 12 rounds of the 460 brass.

I "futzed around" and put the modded follower in a ten round AK-47 mag and got a four round 460 magazine.
I don't have a 40rd magazine to try the modded follower in, but I'm guessing it would end up a 16rd mag of the 460 ammunition.

Um...I guess if you like it, great. I'm personally not a fan of oddball calibers though, on any platform.

I'm surprised that with all of the custom parts that went into this rifle that they didn't even bother to bend some dimples into the receiver.

Keith

Standard AK magazine with a modified follower. They (Alliance Armament) welded a small rod on the opposite side of the 7.62x39 lump to make the last round centered at the botom. A 30rd mag body holds 12 rounds of the 460 brass.

I "futzed around" and put the modded follower in a ten round AK-47 mag and got a four round 460 magazine.
I don't have a 40rd magazine to try the modded follower in, but I'm guessing it would end up a 16rd mag of the 460 ammunition.

Any chance you can post a pic of the mag with a .460 round in it just for the wow factor?

So far, 80 rounds through it. Nothing falling off. Nothing warping. Seems to be holding up. Accuracy is falling off past 250 yards, as expected since it shoots "rolls of quarters" at the target. If I could get inside 200 yards or less of an animal, I'd actually concider using it on an Elk or even a Bear. It's got the serious hitting energy for that.

But yeah, it's a wierd rifle.
I still like my Tikka T3 (.338WinMag) for serious accuracy.

Latest report:
OK, accuracy seems to be up to how I shoot it. I can get down to 2" spread at 100 yards. (benchrest style shooting). I have managed that several times, out of a box of ammo.
I'm up to 100 rounds through it.
I discovered the alignment of the gas block rotating on the barrel left a few millimeters. Nothing a bit of blue locktight can't fix.
I am going to mount a scope when I can figure out what to use.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top