JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As some of you know, I'm not American and neither is my wife. My wife's mom and her boyfriend live in Europe and he's quite the hat afficionado, regularly wears one. As we're in the US, he's asked us if we could get him a nice cowboy hat.

Perhaps I offended some with the term "cowboy hat", if so, my apologies, it's the only expression I know for them.

In any case, I looked around and there's a ton of different options and styles. I guess they're different in every region, but I'd like to have some opinions on what to get and what not. Budget is not endless, so any good recommendations are welcome. Also, which types are definitely a nono or other useful advice is highly welcome.

Cowboy hats are truly a personal piece of headwear. Essentially you have a choice between felt or straw. I'd say the majority of hats I've seen worn by actual cowboys are straw style.

Stetson is a maker of very fine quality American cowboy hats in a wide variety of styles, colors, and headband choices. I'd look there first.

dont know where to buy one but"cowboy hat"is the correct term partner,nobody will get offended by that.
why we even call them 10 gallon hats and a cowboy dont get mad.
cowboys,country boys dont get offended like the liberal weasels in the city do.
you can call a country boy a redneck and he is proud of it.but call a city boy(democrat)a limp wrist and your a bigot,lol.

in additon to coastal, you can find some at wilco or centerville. Go for the stetson, they last forever. Palm leafs are a good summer hat, but straw tends to wear out very quickly. Just my .02. If you in camas, there is a wilco in battle ground, and just across the bridge and out 84 is a coastal farm supply, in gresham at about 242nd. I dont know what the closest centerville is.

Thanks for the recommendations so far!

I told my wife to find out what his preferences are regarding material and color, that should get the basics covered.

I'll do my best to buy American made. It's for a foreigner and he'll be slightly disappointed to get an all-American cowboy hat with a "made in China" tag. ;)

dont know where to buy one but"cowboy hat"is the correct term partner,nobody will get offended by that.
why we even call them 10 gallon hats and a cowboy dont get mad.
cowboys,country boys dont get offended like the liberal weasels in the city do.
you can call a country boy a redneck and he is proud of it.but call a city boy(democrat)a limp wrist and your a bigot,lol.
Dang I'm from SW Washington and I was called "A lumberjack in Los Angeles.
Not a problem to me, just funny because we were called "gypos", free lance loggers.

There are several good stores around. I applaud your desire, but letting another man pick my hat is about like letting him pick my nose. It just anit happening.
Centerville is open in Chelias. They have a website. Sheplers is a good outfit to do business with, They got lots of my money.
But him a couple of good Panama style hats. Run about 50 to 75 each. The would do him better then a more expensive felt hat. But be aware all the same size hats are not the same shape. It took me over a hour to find my last hat that fit just right.

Yeah, I'm aware that size isn't everything and shape can/will be an issue. Problem is that he won't be able to physically come over, so we're sort of limited there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top