JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im looking at getting an ak47 pistol( possible sbr build). Im at a loss when it comes to the ak platform, I know my way around an ar platform since Iv built a couple. But I think its time I add a ak to my collection. But where to start? So I figured I would reach out to my fellow trigger pullers and ask.
What Im looking for:
No less then a 10 in barrel (suppressor restriction)
7.62x39( should be a no brainier but i know some one will ask what caliber)
The biggest thing is concentric threads! I'd hate to get a baffle strike.
I would prefer a 5/8x24(common 30 cal threads)

M92.
10" barrel, Common, still affordable. Made well.

CNC Warrior
AK builder
US Machine Gun
.. All sell thread adapters that should get you the thread type you desire.

I had a Draco, before the mini and micro came out. The rear trunnion was a MF to drill into but I got it done. It had no issues opperating and it got me out of a jam once...so it was there for me when I really needed it

Personally I'm thinking about getting another one (the mini) and if I do, I'd attach a rail to the rear so I can use a SIG side folding brace.

Personally I don't waste my time and money with NFA because it's BS and unconstitutuonal and I have more options with braced pistols. But you do whatever you wanna do ;)

I had a Draco, before the mini and micro came out. The rear trunnion was a MF to drill into but I got it done. It had no issues opperating and it got me out of a jam once...so it was there for me when I really needed it

Personally I'm thinking about getting another one (the mini) and if I do, I'd attach a rail to the rear so I can use a SIG side folding brace.

Personally I don't waste my time and money with NFA because it's BS and unconstitutuonal and I have more options with braced pistols. But you do whatever you wanna do ;)
I started my 10.5 300 blackout with the intention of an sbr, but went with the sb pdw brace. More then likely I will just brace the ak as well

I did the M92 route when they first came out. They are pretty nice if you can get one cheap, but if you decide to switch the rear trunion out for a real stock trunion or folder, expect to be in for a lot of sweat and tears. Its a pain to do if you dont have the tools. Its expensive to have someone else do it. And the m92 beats itself to death from being overgassed/over pressured. You CAN build it to run as I did, but it still can have issues with FCG pins egging out the reciever.

My advice is get a PSA AK-P. Super easy swap to SBR. Lifetime warranty. Reasonable price. Already mostly magpul'd. If I was starting out again, thats what I would do. Save me some frustration and disappointment.

Or, if you have lots of money, step up to Arsenal or Rifle Dynamics stuff.

Just dexide if you want an underfolder, side folder/triangle folder, Magpul/standard wood, and shop pistols with the trunion and barrel length you want to end up with.

Draco.... 11.5" barrel. I have one left In original configuration, and one that I SBR'd some years back.

227ACCAE-0D43-4A72-9D8D-7911F53D22CB.jpeg CCE506B7-83CE-44F1-8699-055D7C96856F.jpeg

I did the M92 route when they first came out. They are pretty nice if you can get one cheap, but if you decide to switch the rear trunion out for a real stock trunion or folder, expect to be in for a lot of sweat and tears. Its a pain to do if you dont have the tools. Its expensive to have someone else do it. And the m92 beats itself to death from being overgassed/over pressured. You CAN build it to run as I did, but it still can have issues with FCG pins egging out the reciever.

My advice is get a PSA AK-P. Super easy swap to SBR. Lifetime warranty. Reasonable price. Already mostly magpul'd. If I was starting out again, thats what I would do. Save me some frustration and disappointment.

Or, if you have lots of money, step up to Arsenal or Rifle Dynamics stuff.

Just dexide if you want an underfolder, side folder/triangle folder, Magpul/standard wood, and shop pistols with the trunion and barrel length you want to end up with.
A Rifle Dynamics is on the list along with the new lwrc 45, 249s among other for when I win the lottery

Just went through a similar question. I'd go Draco or M92 PAP - The M92 has a unique top cover/sight if you like that and if you go Draco, make sure to get the Romanian with the 12.25" barrel (or the Mini or Micro) and NOT the Century Arms US made with the 10.5" barrel. Century has the worst QC of any Manufacturer but they're a great importer. The full size Draco uses AKM handguards and the Yugo uses shorter ones. I wanted a red dot and the longer barrel so I went Draco, tapped the rear trunnion for a folder and brace although the SB Tactical M4 tube adapter thing is nice too. I decide brace because you have to notify the Gov't to transport an SBR out of state, when you move, etc.

On another note, I have a Palmetto AK-V 9mm and it's fantastic. Their AK-P might be good too.
My understanding is that concentric threads for a can are going to be hit and miss with anything that doesn't have a US made barrel. You may consider a Rifle Dynamics' build in that case. I picked up my Draco for less than $500 and an RD costs like $2k, so... Do be aware that you have to cut the weld on the muzzle nut to get it off. A Dremel and patience will do it though.

Regarding running a can, any import AK will be 14x1 LH threads. The best option out there for one of those is likely the Dead Air Wolverine PBS-1. That takes into account non-concentric threads.

Cheers!
20190109_160043.jpg

Last Edited:
Im looking at getting an ak47 pistol( possible sbr build). Im at a loss when it comes to the ak platform, I know my way around an ar platform since Iv built a couple. But I think its time I add a ak to my collection. But where to start? So I figured I would reach out to my fellow trigger pullers and ask.
What Im looking for:
Following. I'm in the same spot.

I would NEVER put a silencer on a Romanian anything unless it was a 45 caliber silencer because its going to be after you fire a few rounds through it anyway. Problem with the M92 pattern is the gas block threads are never going to be concentric to bore. A sloppy silencer wont care but the typical US made precision made tight tolerance high performance silencer will get baffle strikes. Again there are companies that make sloppy ( aka poor performing ) M92 26.5 mm ( or whatever size that is ) threaded silencers but you cant use them on anything else.

I would NEVER put a silencer on a Romanian anything unless it was a 45 caliber silencer because its going to be after you fire a few rounds through it anyway. Problem with the M92 pattern is the gas block threads are never going to be concentric to bore. A sloppy silencer wont care but the typical US made precision made tight tolerance high performance silencer will get baffle strikes. Again there are companies that make sloppy ( aka poor performing ) M92 26.5 mm ( or whatever size that is ) threaded silencers but you cant use them on anything else.
Iv got a silencerco Hybrid 46 cal suppressor

Regarding running a can, any import AK will be 14x1 LH threads. The best option out there for one of those is likely the Dead Air Wolverine PBS-1. That takes into account non-concentric threads.

What Im looking for:
***********************************************************************************
Ask Mike at Tornado Technology 503-690-8000 or 503-519-60197. He has done 3 for me.

I just saw a flat reciever for $35, and I uave to say, it's made wonder how much it would cost to, LITERALLY, have my M92's reciever completely replaced with one. Thats how unhappy I am with how it ended up performing with the conversion. Now that I have an adjustable gas piston and an Alkys Defense brake, it runs softer and smoother, but damage is done. Cosmetically at least. Not sure how long until the FCG pins egg out. Anybody fold flats and rivet parts for a reasonable price? :D

Folding flats and rivetting is something you have to do yourself. Otherwise the person doing it becomes a manufacturer with all the joy that comes with. You are really better off buying a pre folded and spot welded receiver Its a hundred bucks. Or if you are handy weld the holes up and redrill.

Draco if you have strong enough drillbits. o_O

Thing with dracos is their sight radius kinda sucks, since they use a standard rear sight block. But that is an advantage if you ever wanna use an optic.

What Im looking for:

zastava m92

The M92 has a unique top cover/sight if you like that
Not really unique, some arsenals have them. Its the aks-74u sight set up. Which has its pros and cons.

Not a fan personally, I think the Russians should have went further back on the cover and used an aperture. But Russians are Russians.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top