JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some people like myself need to leave town. My rather large family and I are smack dab in the middle of Portland. If the utilities go down we are in for real trouble if we stay put. No rivers or creeks nearby for water. Our yard is very small and that would pose a problem with human waste disposal . Yes fires would be a huge concern since our house is less then 30 ft away for the neighbors. For the protection of my family leaving would at least give us a fighting chance.

I agree that BO from Portland is a last option.

We are in SE portland and see an earthquake as our biggest natural issue. 100 year old house in a red zone I pretty much plan on loosing the house as it goes down the slope.

My concern is the other variables to our situation.

Wife travels a lot for work

I am often single dad. Need solid understanding of what she will do if we can not communicate.

Night Time Quake
Assuming we survive we move a car to a safer location for immediate shelter assess resources. Family lives within a mile in a flat section that would have less damage. That is my BUGOUT option. Move kids and limited gear and set up a new home base. Slowly start to rebuild.

Day time EQ
My work is near Wilsonville and I must cross 3 bridges or bodies of water to get to SE Portland. I see my need for prep is an office bag to SIP or make my way home on foot (maybe a boat down the Willamette). A solid communication plan with neighbors has kids retrieved from school until one of returns.

That is as far as I have gone. Adding EMP or chemical issues to the same challenges seem almost too much to manage. I will maintain my sanity and prep for EQ for now. Once I am solid with that I will consider the others.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

I agree that BO from Portland is a last option.

We are in SE portland and see an earthquake as our biggest natural issue. 100 year old house in a red zone I pretty much plan on loosing the house as it goes down the slope.

My concern is the other variables to our situation.

Wife travels a lot for work

I am often single dad. Need solid understanding of what she will do if we can not communicate.

Night Time Quake
Assuming we survive we move a car to a safer location for immediate shelter assess resources. Family lives within a mile in a flat section that would have less damage. That is my BUGOUT option. Move kids and limited gear and set up a new home base. Slowly start to rebuild.

Day time EQ
My work is near Wilsonville and I must cross 3 bridges or bodies of water to get to SE Portland. I see my need for prep is an office bag to SIP or make my way home on foot (maybe a boat down the Willamette). A solid communication plan with neighbors has kids retrieved from school until one of returns.

That is as far as I have gone. Adding EMP or chemical issues to the same challenges seem almost too much to manage. I will maintain my sanity and prep for EQ for now. Once I am solid with that I will consider the others.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Ever consider handheld HAM radios?

I think those that are practicing real-life woods skills right now are the ones who will do the best living in the woods full time...especially those who live in the woods right now full-time as the daily tasks in their lives are things that people consider survival skills ...

For example...a city bloke who has never shot a rabbit or deer and doesn't know how to gut an animal...unless someone is there to show them they will have a hard time even obtaining meat for themselves outside of a shop. I figure alot of city people won't even get to that stage just due to psychological reasons and will die in the city before they ever step into the bush.

Also those who know how to do things like sew, trap, tan hides, build a cabin and so on will be the most likely to do these things under stress because they already do it for a living so it's nothing new to them and they have years of experience...the most competent marksmen is a shooter who has years of practice, the most competent mechanic the one who has worked on hundreds of cars, etc etc...you can't throw someone out in the bush and expect them to hunt, trap and take care of their clothing and shelter needs if they don't have any real world experience. The best thing to do is to apply these skills right now in your daily life in your own neck of the woods...those who do will have the best chance of survival in the long-term IMO.

I am a tanner and the buckskins and furs I tan I use for my clothing and footwear, gear and bags, etc right now, so I don't see it being difficult to do this in a stressful social situation...same goes for hunting, etc...those who know how to do practical outdoor living tasks will have the best chance of survival

Good post mj22m. You have brought up a very good point that My family and I are planning for. That is the stress factor. I have a wife and small children who has not lived like I have and have the experiences in the woods. Safety then shelter is number 1 and 2 on my list of priorities if we need to bug out. When those 2 are at least somewhat sufficient the stress level will go waaay down. Have a scared unsheltered family is not going to help get acclimated to the new surroundings. Even setting up a tent for temporary shelter is a start to help relieve stress. A fire would be the next..then so on and so on.

Yeah I could just find a hill, a large rock or a big tree to lay my back against to take a nap. But the wife and kids..I don't think so not yet.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top